Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
dimitrisgap
Human being with feelings

Default Want to translate REAPER-Just tell me how!!

Hello to all.
Reaper, as well as Reaper community, has been a huge inspiration for me art-and-life wise. So much information and willingness to help one another that I feel like a shitbag not giving something back!
My knoledge tho is still growing, even tho I have been composing, music teaching and producing professionally for the past six years. It would be a waste to add noise or bad info when there are so many great Reaper mentors out there.
Figured I could add something to the Reaper legacy if I could translate it in Greek. A great lot of musicians and a fair amount of sound engineers in Greece, even tho skilled, talented and dedicated to their art, have issues with the language and the terminology. I remember a big hype when a guy made a tutorial for Cubase in Greek (can't remember if the menus were translated too), which was amateur at best, and it actually helped a lot of people (CUBASE FOR F*CKS SAKE-sorry, not sorry to be a hater).
So if someone has knowledge to share as to where and how to start would have my eternal gratitude. Tutorials, pointers, maybe a specific workflow, and chatting would help. So far, I have not even managed to download the template to begin with.
I should probably mention that I am also an absoute code illiterate-but I learn fast when there's a reason or need to. So be so kind as to start with As and Bs.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
domzy

maybe this helps?

https://www.cockos.com/reaper/langpack/
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
dimitrisgap

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah, I found that, but after I click on the "template language pack" I have no idea what I am looking at, what to download or search or how to edit it. Is there a tutorial or demo, maybe?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Stella645

That link leads to another link https://landoleet.org/ where you can donwload the langpack

reaper616rc8.ReaperLangPack

Double clicking the pack loads it to Reaper, right click and open with a text editor to edit.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
Allybye

Great idea and I wish you success as that will repay as you intend.

I guess there are not many who could help with translation not just because of your target language (that is difficult for most of us!) but of the specific "technical" language used at source!

However I cannot help think that there must be other Greek speakers who are in the community with English etc. (in one of it's forms) also as their main or second language who might be able to help too? Maybe into coding as well?

Start a thread "Any Greek and English/German/Dutch or more speakers?"

Lots in Australia, the States etcetera......
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
dimitrisgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
That link leads to another link https://landoleet.org/ where you can donwload the langpack

reaper616rc8.ReaperLangPack

Double clicking the pack loads it to Reaper, right click and open with a text editor to edit.
(I apologise in advance for my idiocy)
Thanks for the reply. So I click on the afforementioned language pack and a text file appears. I copy that to a text file and edit it from there? And how do I load it to Reaper?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Stella645

Right click the file and open with (your text editor of choice). Edit, save.

Double click should load the edited pack to Reaper.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
Allybye

A few thoughts.

It might be you Stella645 or domzy but who in the community is an expert with language packs that further help can be sought from?

A few things that I would like to know before embarking on such a project, some loosely associated to language packs would include the following questions:

As this will be a pack development (and touched on previously by Dimitris); What is the scope of the language pack for example what can be included or are there things excluded such as drop down menus, are there any limitation with non Latin characters (some I presume are handled given the range of packs currently existing)?

Are there any implications when using a Greek keyboard such as for shortcut recognition (maybe nothing to do with a language pack)

There is information on how to load a pack (on the links given above) with description of the text file lines, remarks etc. but it is a bit basic. Can more info be found regarding Landoleet?

Can multi language packs be handled with easy switching between them?

Can Reaper crash if there are errors in the language text files? I am wondering if development really ought to be done in an independent copy of Reaper rather than one that is already in use in a currently handled language. I would probably go that route anyway but ought it be essential.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
dimitrisgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
A few thoughts.

It might be you Stella645 or domzy but who in the community is an expert with language packs that further help can be sought from?

A few things that I would like to know before embarking on such a project, some loosely associated to language packs would include the following questions:

As this will be a pack development (and touched on previously by Dimitris); What is the scope of the language pack for example what can be included or are there things excluded such as drop down menus, are there any limitation with non Latin characters (some I presume are handled given the range of packs currently existing)?

Are there any implications when using a Greek keyboard such as for shortcut recognition (maybe nothing to do with a language pack)

There is information on how to load a pack (on the links given above) with description of the text file lines, remarks etc. but it is a bit basic. Can more info be found regarding Landoleet?

Can multi language packs be handled with easy switching between them?

Can Reaper crash if there are errors in the language text files? I am wondering if development really ought to be done in an independent copy of Reaper rather than one that is already in use in a currently handled language. I would probably go that route anyway but ought it be essential.
I started today, translated about 200 elements out of the <18500, seems doable, and had lots of fun. I am also discusing the matter with a music local forum and have some terms differenciated and defined (eg. track and channel are both translated as "κανάλι" in greek music tech slang).
I hope I am doing everything correctly and not just wasting time and manpower. I used Google Spreadsheets, so as to have a duplicate of the original text on the left column and the translated one on the right. I would be happy to share and have some creative and technical feedback.
I had not considered all these possible implications though. There seems to be an unusual (for reaper stuff at least) lack of how-to info around this matter and I none but an eager noob. Glad to have some experienced users pointing them out, maybe even ask the developers first-handedly.
I am thinking of contacting my two fave youtube channels, REAPERMania (most probably, since Kenny deals with more beginer stuff) and REAPERBlog and asking them if they have something in the realm of tutorials to offer.
On we go!!!
I am more than obliged to all of you guys and gals.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:48 AM   #10
Allybye

Have you thought of trying Google Translate?
I know it is far from perfect, especially for things like the idiomatic and technical translations but it might give a reasonable translation of the bulk the text and then just require some refinement and correction of technical/specific terminology.
A quick review might show if it is a waste of time!
Old 11-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
A few thoughts.

Definitely not me!

I've never seen a language pack or knew they existed until I saw this thread. The only info I supplied was basically all right there on the download page or in the file itself.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Ask in here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92845

This is where the most active loalizers meet.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
amagalma

Γεια σου Δημήτρη!

Nice to see more Greek people coming to Reaper and to the Reaper Forums!

The link to the thread that Mespotine gave you has a lot of info and people who may help you get started. Translating a software to another language (and with so many technical terms) is a big undertaking! I wish you good luck and patience!
Old 11-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
Allybye

και εκεί νόμιζα ότι εθελοντήκατε να βοηθήσετε!

You will recognise that I am neither a native nor good Greek speaker and Google only gets it nearly correct!

But you are correct that it is a big job and not a word for word translation and a few techie things to be considered too.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
dimitrisgap

I ll update when I reach about 1000 elements (currently at about 450). I tryed testing it and there is "12 EDL header items are missing" error, so I guess I am doing something wrong. I will share with you so I can have some of your wonderfull feedback.

Allybye, noteworthy attempt with greek. Unfortunately, there is no verb for volunteer for Greeks, just a noun. I guess that says something, hahahahahaha.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
Allybye

Σας ευχαριστούμε που προσφέρετε εθελοντικά αυτές τις πληροφορίες.

I take it all back what I said about you Google. I have a lot to learn.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #17
Allybye

Regarding your test, Dimitris. How are you doing that test?

As far as I understand an EDL is the language for making edit decisions, so I would have thought that has nothing to do with what you are doing localising textual entries.

I wonder if you are loading your file into Reaper as if it were edit instructions to do work on the audio of a project and is just therefore causing an error? The error message ".....EDL HEADER...." as a guess would indicate incorrect load method?

What file extension are you using for your text file?

Just tried downloading UK language pack and that seems to load fine following the initial linked instructions..as one would expect.

It also answered one of my questions in that once loaded in preferences you can select which language to use and also to prompt to select when opening Reaper for when you are multi lingual.

EDIT:I have just confirmed that guess regarding the EDL error message. I changed the language text file to dot txt ("UK.text") and it produces the error message you are getting. Reverting to Reaperlangpack it then gets correctly recognised. You need to use "greek.reaperlangpack" as the full file description (i.e. name dot extension) assuming your test file is called greek.
Hope that helps

Last edited by Allybye; 11-28-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #18
Tranquil

In my opinion for the translation to be useful you will have to translate the documentation as well and keep it up-to-date with future REAPER versions. That's a big effort and responsibility for a 15+ years old software with constant evolution.

Maybe it's a good idea to post your progress in a new thread with clear title like: ``Greek translation for REAPER''; so people are aware what's about -- in order to correct/help your effort.
Tranquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
In my opinion for the translation to be useful you will have to translate the documentation ... That's a big effort and responsibility...
This is too much to be done. Especially for free and because Allybye isn't native speaker of greek.

However, I would totally agree with stuff like the QuickStart-guide, which could be translated with limited resources.

One should never forget: Even the LangPacks are already a heck lot of work, with some terms needing days of work, until the proper text is found, which properly translates AND fits inside the dialogs.
I've seen this with some translators in various threads and it's astonishing how much time they invest for free for these, just to find a translation for a term, that simply doesn't exist in the target-language.

I agree though, that a translation of the docs should be done closely together with the translator of a LangPack, so screenshots in the manual have the same texts and chapters follow the same terminology.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #20
Tranquil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
This is too much to be done.
Totally agree, I know first hand the pain it involves, back in the days I was responsible for the Greek translation of Winamp 5. That's why I suggested to post his progress; in the hope that other people will help as well.

Quote:
...AND fits inside the dialogs.
That's the biggest issue; the density of Greek is not very good, we are talking to a ratio of 1.0/1.3+ compared to the English language, 1-3 words can be okay to translate but once you go into sentences is a completely different story if you want to have some reasonable meaning.

Quote:
...find a translation for a term, that simply doesn't exist in the target-language.
REAPER uses highly technical terminology, I am not sure if a Greek translation will help users or confuse them even more. Some things certainly does not exist in the Greek terminology. In any case some Greek documentation will be required to match the translation in order to make sense.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #21
dimitrisgap

Sorry for being kind of inactive, my mother has serious health issues and I had to be there. Posting my first attempt. Most of them are automatically replaced, I have to check every command manualy due to the nature of greek language.I did so in most commands until line 500.
I still have no clue as to how to load it and how to assess its effectiveness, I just translate for now.
I've hit serious prejudice in the greek forum regarding the translation of english terms, for some it seemed almost sacreligious.PFFFFff with these people. Fortunately they are a minority. They just destroyed my post with negativity and elitism.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CS5...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #22
Allybye

No need to apologise ( I hope the rest of the community agrees with that!). Some things really do have to take priority over others.

Sorry to hear your mother is ill and do wish her well.

I downloaded your current file and loaded into Reaper and it loads fine after changing the file extension.
The file name I used was
"Copy of Reaper Greek 0.1.Reaperlangpack"

I admire your aim and as reported above it is no small task.

I didn't even know there was a Greek Reaper forum! I think you are to be applauded for what you are doing, not criticised!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #23
Tranquil

Okay, I hope everything is fine now.

I had a look at your translation and here's a few things to have in mind:

1)
Rename your file to: gr.ReaperLangPack -- that will give you the option to install.

You can rename to: gr.ReaperLangPack.txt -- if you want to use some editor to make things more convenient.

Once a language pack is installed it resides to: %APPDATA%\REAPER\LangPack\

2)
The first line of your translation should be: #NAME:Greek

e.g.

#NAME:Greek
[common]
042F4DCA75E1BE47=16 bit
CC85D146650F3E66=24 bit
5188BC03D80E2D31=32 bit

As you see in the example I have removed the leading ; at the start of FNV hash to make that particular translation effective, etc.

Once you correct those you will be able to run your translation, I already did.