Old 11-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #641
maxdembo
Human being with feelings

New deadline...

By Sunday, I want to have started the transfer of all these jams to the PC, and started the editing process.

No overdubs allowed. No extra content allowed. Just editing out the bad bits.

EDIT: I did another 3 or 4 jams yesterday. Something has really clicked here.

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-20-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #642
maxdembo

Its just taken me the last two days to listen back thru all these jams from last week and take the briefest of notes.

13 jams. About 9 hours of it. One more to listen to.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #643
FearinLoathin

Default I did it! ...I think.

Ok, so nothing is getting posted until editing is done, but I actually got something done!
I started the week working on a completely different song but couldn't get a melody AND lyrics to agree in the same space. So last night, in total panic mode, I switched gears and made this vengeful, middle finger little sonnet for a song I've had the music for almost as long as the one on the SC page. Then sang it this morning after not enough sleep. I'm rusty as fuck and have NO business trying to sign that high when I haven't sang in weeks. Buuut I promise once heavy editing is done I'll put it out there.

My goal was lyrics and vocal tracks. The finished product will be this week's goal, along with that last song getting to 2hrre this one is now. 😁

I will post pics when I have the chance to friggin go to the stone age...
Old 11-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #644
zeekat

Editing stuff out of 9 hours of jamming is such a Can thing to do.

Last edited by zeekat; 11-22-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: facts
Old 11-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #645
FearinLoathin

CollageMaker_20201122_122946894_compress18_resize_90_compress48.jpg CollageMaker_20201122_123049862_resize_40_compress42_resize_79_compress34_resize_18_compress90.jpg

I swear I spent half an hour compressing and resizing and compressing and resizing... Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #646
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Editing stuff out of 9 hours of jamming is such a Can thing to do.

More repetitive and less instrumentation by far!

Fine company to be in tho! Last week has been a lot of realisations with this kit, so there is a gonna to be a good 99% of those jams deleted I will be ruthless and only leave what works.

According to my notes, out of that 9 hours there is maybe 4 or 5 songs, at most.

EDIT: Its a lot of nothing crap as I learn as I go, all that can be deleted, lots of mistakes therein. Its also just little Pocket Operator jams on the drum synth one they do, the PO-32, plus effects and sometimes the Subharmonicon. So. Much Crap. To. Delete

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-22-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #647
maxdembo

Default Thelonious Monk's 25 Tips for Musicians

Old 11-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #648
zeekat

Todays self sabotage fodder

Old 11-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #649
maxdembo

Quote:
Todays self sabotage fodder
Nice

Deadlines update... All 19 jams (did one more EDIT: Wait, no, there are less actual jams, just 19 numbered on the mixer!) transferred to the PC. In the process, found definitively that two channels on the mixer dont work (there is a shiny new Tascam 12 that is looking very, very tempting and reviewing really fucking well that seems like a perfect upgrade and replacement). Obviously, one of those channels I've been using every time.

Anyway, latest jam, number 19, edited down to 20 minutes so far, from 90 minutes. No overdubs. No extra effects, except a mastering effects chain on the main Master Track in Reaper.

EDIT: Its also made me realise I dont know how to record the sends on the mixer on separate stereo channels, so thats been added to the list of things to do.

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-25-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #650
foxAsteria

Lol, great stuff zeekat!

So I got Live Lite from Splice for free and been working on a live/jam setup lately. The effortless Link system is amazing and even more amazing is the out-of-the-box controller support... *sigh*

As much as I love Reaper, it's a bit refreshing to use a tool that I can't tweak at all, but just works.

So I got to liking that workflow with recording ideas into clips n such so I worked up a default template and started a few new songs. Except now none of them will open without crashing Live! Wtf?

Maybe it's instant karma for cheating on Reaper, but goddammit that LINK code is friggin open source! Why the frag don't we have that shiz up in this beatch?!

Anyways...new deadline for me (I'm sick of sitting down to work on music and shopping for/tweaking controllers instead): I will have all my mothershlubbing controllers and any extra necessities perfectly set up added and never think of adding or changing anything more until I finish the 3 fatherfudging albums I've been re-mixing for the last decade...by 2021!!!

and I'll definitely start on that right after just a lil bit of Skyrim...
Old 11-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #651
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Its also made me realise I dont know how to record the sends on the mixer on separate stereo channels, so thats been added to the list of things to do.
You can just feed em right back into a pair of channels, if you have any, instead of the returns . Just as long as you don't open the sends for those channels...or maybe do.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #652
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You can just feed em right back into a pair of channels, if you have any, instead of the returns . Just as long as you don't open the sends for those channels...or maybe do.
ok. i getcha, i'll give it a whirl, but without the feedback for now

also, i dont know what this is, but its alive... 90 minute jam, edited down to 4 minutes. There are a couple of dodgy edits i'll see too tomorrow. Its just an edit from a stereo mixdown, so nothing i can do about levels, or getting rid of distortion etc, its all just learning curve at the minute, baby.

https://soundcloud.com/ear/splatter-house-first-demo
Old 11-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #653
prom

ear/splatter-house - first demo

Very nice!

(You could say, "right , that's one's done.....next!!!!" No?

Last edited by prom; 11-26-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #654
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
https://soundcloud.com/ear/splatter-house-first-demo

Very nice!

(You could say, "right , that's one's done.....next!!!!" No?
Thanks Prom. 2 or 3 small edits was where I left it yesterday.

One final listen thru after a day or two away from it, and then I'll hopefully just walk away from it

EDIT: The real questions is, is it video worthy? Do I bother?

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-26-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #655
prom

You've got one generative method going here from which points of interest were captured, harnessed, manipulated and edited. Skys the limit but seeing as you have procrastination worries, thought suggesting you..move it to one side for time being cos it sounds good..aye, you know what i'm sayin.

cool
Old 11-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #656
maxdembo

Quote:
You've got one generative method going here from which points of interest were captured, harnessed, manipulated and edited. Skys the limit but seeing as you have procrastination worries, thought suggesting you..move it to one side for time being cos it sounds good..aye, you know what i'm sayin.

cool
I getcha, and you are correct!

This stuff is getting the quick edit treatment, no overdubs, no extra jiggery pokery, im only allowed to deal with whats already there

There's one or two edits where the timing is slightly off, and thats it, done

On to the next!

EDIT: And thanks Prom for the 'it sounds good', I have no idea if its a garbage track or not tbh. So I'll let the listeners decide

EDIT 2: It was one of those tracks that was telling me what to do, rather than me trying to do something. I'm not sure I'd listen to this out of choice or want to explore the artists other work. There was so much great stuff I chopped out of it, because it just didnt flow, and the great bits werent good enough to loop on their own (or they were, but then I'd be back in overdub territory and not getting anything finished). I think the whole 90 minutes contained maybe three 'songs', but I was being brutal and just deleting any sections that didnt work as a whole, until it was down to what it is now.

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-26-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #657
maxdembo

@fox: the mixer has stereo returns for the sends, a whole bunch of them! And I think there's a routing option somewhere on this mixer for recording them to a separate channel via internal routing (with a button), but I'm just gonna have to see if the manual covers (the manual for this mixer is skant garbage, barely tells you anything, apparently a manual was promised but never appeared). I've got a feeling I did use this separate channel option but it recorded two totally disconnected mono channels, instead of the stereo ping pong delay that was actually coming out of the effects unit.

So I've gone for your method, hopefully that will make sense to me and record properly. Mixers and routing makes my brain melt quite quickly.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #658
foxAsteria

Quote:
Mixers and routing makes my brain melt quite quickly.
Yea happens to me too, esp with jargon like "cue," "aux" etc. But the nice thing is once you learn one console, you'll have the basics for most any other.

Helps a bit to think of it like water. If it flows out anywhere, it has to get back somehow to end up in the final output stream. There are just a lot of reasons and ways to send some somewhere else for "special treatment" and getting it back in the mix. So it does get confusing.

By returning them to channels, you can do anything to them you can with other inputs, like EQ or record them. Otherwise (in the returns) they are just meant to be heard in the final output.

But sends are cool cos you can do things like make separate mixes for a bunch of headphones plugged into the aux outs and mixing them with the aux knobs instead of channel faders. Sorry if I'm "mansplaining."

I'd imagine on your mixer there's a switch for sending a pair of sends to a pair of channels internally instead of what you're probably doing with cables now. Same difference tho.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #659
maxdembo

Tonights jam edit was a lot less work...

https://soundcloud.com/ear/torque-talk
Old 11-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #660
maxdembo

Quote:
Otherwise (in the returns) they are just meant to be heard in the final output.

I'd imagine on your mixer there's a switch for sending a pair of sends to a pair of channels internally instead of what you're probably doing with cables now. Same difference tho.
However much mansplaining there might be in there, theres a couple of things that made me think

I thought I'd found the button to internally route the returns, but I think its just internally routing the sends going out of the mixer. I think because I think of sends and returns in Reaper as just a send, i got a bit confused by the wording on the mixer, whereas what I wanna do is have the returns internally routed to a stereo channel.

I think I found the button to do the trick, but ive already switch the cables now I'll check the manual any minute now Whatever the case, your solution is a fine option. I'm learning

I'm very seriously considering the Tascam 12 mixer atm, considering how well this is working out (in terms of fun). Its a breath of fresh air compared to just shuffling chunk of waveforms around, or endless midi note editing.

EDIT: Just had a play with the feedback caused by the returns being on a channel, and looping the return back into the send again. Much fun. Nice one

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-27-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #661
prom

ear/torque-talk

As a piece I feel it suits becoming one of those iinteresting album moments...(maybe you could crossfade into it from a verb cloud tail or something because the initial fade in is suitably long)

I tried building Subharmonicon in vaz and they (yes several flavours) work but are almost impossible to control because the Ui is such a total mess.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:41 AM   #662
maxdembo

Quote:
ear/torque-talk

As a piece I feel it suits becoming one of those iinteresting album moments...(maybe you could crossfade into it from a verb cloud tail or something because the initial fade in is suitably long)

I tried building Subharmonicon in vaz and they (yes several flavours) work but are almost impossible to control because the Ui is such a total mess.
I'm giving vcvrack another go on my list of things to do. Nice actual eurorack UI

Another edit up on soundcloud btw, Signal Status, just another interlude, nothing particularly interesting yet.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #663
prom

Quote:
Nice actual eurorack UI

Thanx for reminding me about vcv, I have it and actually spent more time downloading modules/stuff and fooling around with the sequencers hahaha (I really like the stuff by The Xor ), plus I like cable free patching....I'm just locked into vaz, I gave up with reaktor as well because of virtual connection madness....yes I know it has some front panel shit now but they lost me already.

I wish software did not get abandoned (i think it's nearly always business...gets in the way and throttles the life forces, sadly).

VCV is great though I must try and get back there...thanks Mr Dembo.

Last edited by prom; 11-27-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #664
maxdembo

Quote:
Thanx for reminding me about vcv, I have it and actually spent more time downloading modules/stuff and fooling around with the sequencers hahaha (I really like the stuff by The Xor ), plus I like cable free patching....I'm just locked into vaz, I gave up with reaktor as well because of virtual connection madness....yes I know it has some front panel shit now but they lost me already.

I wish software did not get abandoned (i think it's nearly always business...gets in the way and throttles the life forces, sadly).

VCV is great though I must try and get back there...thanks Mr Dembo.
oooh, i didnt think about turning the cables off. just had a look in vcv and the cables opacity can be turned right down to near invisible, handy!

The Time Waster recently reminded me about vcv. I'd forgotten all about it, and now I understand modular a bit more, reminded me I wanna go back to it.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #665
prom

Yes you can make the cables fade into nothing (which is very wise feature) but I made typo (amazing where a small error goes init?) I meant to say [but] instead I typed [plus]....oops! sorry/ , I love virtual cables like the Arturia moog modular V but I prefer no cables (in a perfect world lol) , think Arp 2500 or ems VCS3 matrices in hardware or a digital equivalent.

Last edited by prom; 11-27-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #666
foxAsteria

Quote:

EDIT: Just had a play with the feedback caused by the returns being on a channel, and looping the return back into the send again. Much fun. Nice one
If you can get a pitch shifter and maybe a delay in there, that's about how shimmer reverb is made. Then the tails keep pitching slightly more each time and it's pretty dang awesome.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #667
maxdembo

Quote:
Yes you can make the cables fade into nothing (which is very wise feature) but I made typo (amazing where a small error goes init?) I meant to say [but] instead I typed [plus]....oops! sorry/ , I love virtual cables like the Arturia moog modular V but I prefer no cables (in a perfect world lol) , think Arp 2500 or ems VCS3 matrices in hardware or a digital equivalent.
ahh, i getcha, matrices! Theres a new one out that seems to get people happy with that kinda set up. the syntrax I think it is?

anyway, yeah, i understand now. made me wonder tho, if eurorack matrix modules are a thing and if vcv rack has any such modules on offer so i could learn about them..?

gonna have a look in a bit.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #668
maxdembo

Quote:
If you can get a pitch shifter and maybe a delay in there, that's about how shimmer reverb is made. Then the tails keep pitching slightly more each time and it's pretty dang awesome.
Two recent issues of Sound on Sound did some features on processing reverb, those were really useful for filling in some blanks. I kinda knew how shimmer worked but not really had any experience of it, and certainly didnt really think about adding more effects in the return path on the mixer

Much fun to be had

Im slowly adding more bits of kit into each jam session to learn as I go, and learn what works with what. Still got the PC to reintroduce (bfd, virtual 'real' bass, and samples is all I wanna use it for), the reface cs, behringer crave, and the bsp/keystep 37 combo.

So a few more pure Pocket Operator drums with effects tracks on the way from the last round of jams, then the next round of jams will be all the stuff I've learned plus one of those bits of kit added in.

EDIT: Another edit https://soundcloud.com/ear/the-subha...st-live-improv

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-27-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: editing to add an edit about an edit
Old 11-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #669
prom

If using a filter try put the verb before it.
An old man told me to try that (well he used that youtube honey trap to pass his method onto me and several million music tech expert) but it's possible you may have missed it (can't rmember his name....old modular guy like a T Dream studio technician?

I have to confess I had not even considered the possibility at the time.

Last edited by prom; 11-28-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #670
maxdembo

One of the recent tracks I posted on soundcloud was partly done by having the feedback and cutoff of a spring reverb cv controlled and the output from the spring reverb going into cv controlled frequency shifter, with the output of that going to a mixer channel with the volume cv controlled, all tempo synced to whatever crap I'm messing around with
Old 11-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #671
prom

The Subharmoniconist - Tile Ingest (live improv DEMO)

Awesome beats, soundscape, ambience!

Last edited by prom; 11-29-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #672
maxdembo

Quote:
The Subharmoniconist - Tile Ingest (live improv DEMO)

Awesome beats, soundscape, ambience!
Thanks Prom. I have no idea about this stuff, its not grabbing me but I'll keep churning out the jam edits until there arent any left and then record more jams

All drums on this batch are just a tiny Pocket Operator (the PO-32, and/or the PO-33).

5 more jams left to edit.

EDIT: And then we all get to choose which one I make a video for

EDIT 2: There is more of a similar nature on the way, btw.

EDIT 3: Its all getting added to this playlist - https://soundcloud.com/ear/sets/the-subharmoniconist

working on the next track now.

EDIT 4: Next track is up

Last edited by maxdembo; 11-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #673
maxdembo

and another one up.

im losing track of what im uploading now, but there is only two more jams to go thru, one has already been edited down from 90 mins to 15.

im looking forward to adding more varied sounds into this set up. quite sick of those drums
Old 12-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #674
zeekat

So the last stuff is all outboard, Subharmonicon mostly? Nice. Kinda expected it sounding I dunno, simpler, at least reading synth description. Not enough crickets I guess. Going with obscure references, there's strong vibe of late 90s dark Finnish demoscene production, they really loved their overdriven kicks.

20mins, is it a whole EP yet?
Old 12-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #675
maxdembo

Quote:
So the last stuff is all outboard, Subharmonicon mostly? Nice. Kinda expected it sounding I dunno, simpler, at least reading synth description. Not enough crickets I guess. Going with obscure references, there's strong vibe of late 90s dark Finnish demoscene production, they really loved their overdriven kicks.

20mins, is it a whole EP yet?
Purely the Subharm and 2 Pocket Operators, plus effects from the external mixer and from the Field Kit FX, a Lexicon MX200 and Montreal Assembly Purpll effects pedal, plus judicious editing of the jams. One or more may have that Hainbach Wire plug in on a send in Reaper, but I tried to do no effects within Reaper other than master buss effects for levels and mix compression.

Still not sure whether to leave the tracks as is, or if any of them sound like they need more stuff, film samples, real drums sound, a bass line here n there, a bit of guitar or piano? I dunno...

Re: an EP... Thats what I suddenly realised yesterday - 'wait, did i just make an EP last week?' Im going to leave the tracks alone for a week or so and come back to them to hear if anything stands out as needing a bit more tweaking, but mostly, I wanna move on from it as quick as possible. Still wondering if one or more of those tracks deserve videos or not too. It all sounds a bit the same to me, so I'm a bit lost in some aspects I thought it was just throwaway crap, and then a mate said he loved it. So I dunno... Seemed too easy

If I can just do a bunch of jams one week, and have an EP a week or so later tho, thats the dream!

EDIT: All drums were done by these two little things -

Last edited by maxdembo; 12-01-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #676
prom

I thought a little heavy deep acoustic toms pattern would be cool (bfd) interrupting on one of them tracks???
Also maybe a guitarist could drop some storm of air tastin reptiles-on-acid somewhere??
Of course you could just take these suggestions and do something else like....not do that ever.
Maybe get some groovy chick with cool vox to read out some of your thoughts into a sampler Mr Dembo? and spread that all over it like.

Last edited by prom; 12-01-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: straange gaps
Old 12-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #677
zeekat

I'm not one for overt minimalism so yeah, I'd overdub the shit out of it, even if sounds good as it is. It's good to have details, it's like staffage in audio paintings.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #678
maxdembo

Default bastards!

thats more work!

(comments thoughtfully appreciated and i think you may both be right. tho fuck those ambient tracks, those are getting canned i think )
Old 12-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #679
morgon

I say keep everything but file it well. Max,you're producing the goods via jams.

Arrangement is a whole nuther field, I'm hoping to hear some excellent condensed arrangements of these cool jams.

You obviously have a fine rhythmic sense, I like e.g that video ZK commented on, and I have the same opinion as him about it.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #680
morgon

Back to me tl;dr New rig, net connection dramas, authorisation dramas also, hard drive caddy purchase etc etc.

BUT despite that, new song pending soon
Closed Thread