Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
bhuether
Human being with feelings

Default Add harmonic content of some track to other track to impart some main harmonic?

Been wondering about this. I am trying to come up with way to add, say snare resonances, in real time, based on the strong harmonic content of some input signal. So imagine a piano note, or some vocal line that has some main pitch, followed by a snare hit. I want to be able to impart such harmonic content on top of the snare so that the snare has a nuanced resonance that follows the harmonic content of the input track.

I was thinking maybe it amounts to vocoding or something, where I modulate the snare hit with the input signal. This would require use of delay, since I want the snare to react to something that came before it.

Ideas, thoughts?
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
panicaftermath

What if you sent the track with the "resonance" that you want into a reverb (or some other fx) that would not be returned to the mix directly, and then gate the output of the reverb to be triggered by the snare and mixed in as desired?
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
bhuether

That would work, but I am trying to have it such that the resonance doesn't sound like the input track. If I use the piano reverb, when it sounds with the snare, the tonal characteristic will be piano.

It would actually be great if there was some plugin that outputted pitch, and then I could use that to move a notch filter in the snare so that I have big notch resonance tracking the main harmonic of some input signal.

I suspect this isn't readily doable in Reaper alone. Now that I think about it, in something like Reaktor I think it might be doable since you have so many options for creating signal paths, and performing computations. While I can conceptualize that, guess I will have to really dig into Reaktor to figure out the specifics.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post

It would actually be great if there was some plugin that outputted pitch, and then I could use that to move a notch filter in the snare so that I have big notch resonance tracking the main harmonic of some input signal.

I suspect this isn't readily doable in Reaper alone.
Au contraire

https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...-in-ReaEQ.html
Old 11-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
bhuether

Interesting. I was atually messing with ReaPitch today to see how accurately it tracks pitch of something like piano. Piano is just such a resonant instrument that I wasn't able to get good stable pitch. But this script will come in handy! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
shosty

Perhaps Hammer and Chord might work? https://youtu.be/E_3ILfZsrs4
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
bhuether

That has some cool possibilities! I suppose in some sense it is similar to vocoding with carriers and modulators.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:49 AM   #8
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
Interesting. I was atually messing with ReaPitch today to see how accurately it tracks pitch of something like piano. Piano is just such a resonant instrument that I wasn't able to get good stable pitch. But this script will come in handy! Thanks!
Well, if you've already got the piano midi, that's not a problem. Otherwise, fiddling with the analysis window size can help. Or you can record the midi output & edit it.