Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
bigmoustache
Human being with feelings

Default Ableton Session Experience?

Hi, I've done some digging for a week or two and haven't found a solution to my problem.

The intent is to create something analogous to Session view in Ableton. I've tried combinations of markers, selection, region, and transport and even cycle edit commands but to no avail.

There are two basic necessities. One is the ability to move to selected section at end of current section. The second is start and stop recording respectively at beginning and end of sections. Must be midi and audio capable, so no mobius or super8.

I can only imagine Reaper is capable, just looking for direction before burning anymore time.

Also, any utils for browsing actions? And if this is not possible (so many contradictions between action sets like "at end of region" and "next beat" not being congruent) will learning lua make it possible?

I have an APC 40 coming today, I thought I'd have this figured out by now!

Last edited by bigmoustache; 08-27-2020 at 11:44 AM.
bigmoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
mschnell

For Reaper there is a project called "Playtime". I don't know how the state is...
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
bigmoustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
For Reaper there is a project called "Playtime". I don't know how the state is...
-Michael
It unfortunately is just a sequencer. I'm not exactly sure how I could integrate that into a live recording environment.
bigmoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
mschnell

I am not at all knowledgeable in this issue, but in the śticky thread here I posted several link hat might be interesting.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
baldo

Default I have a part of the solution

Hello.

Old thread, so maybe you figured a solution. Otherwise I have some news for you : to use regions like "ableton scenes" in reaper you can use the reaper action I made https://stash.reaper.fm/v/41328/gotoRegionObeySeek.zip

Each one of these action will go to a given region of reaper and set the loop section across the region. Even better, it will obey smooth seek : if you enable "smooth" seek in the options and choose a seeking options in the preferences (either a given number of bars, or until end of region) playback will smartly jump from one region to another in a smartway.

So this should solve the "play scene" part. for the "clip record" part two cases. for midi record part, just use overdub mode and set preferences > loop recording > tick the options called something like "create a midi item within section when loop recording".For the audio record part, set for "new recorded overlapping items" to layers. that should do it ;-)
baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
lexaproductions

I’ve also made a thorough setup for live playback. Look it up in my sig.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:48 AM   #7
baldo

Default About the APC 40

About the APC40, you should check realearn (by helgoboss).

Realearn allow you to set midi feedback. If you are not familiar with this, it allows you to send back a midi message to your APC40 when triggering an action in reaper (such as playback for instance).

What for ? a lot of midi controllers have their led/lights controlled by midi messages : so using realearn you might be able to create/program your own integrated midi controller. I think APC 40 is able to do this.

For instance, you might set your controller to trigger section when pushing a button which will light up to give you feedback on what you did... dope :-).
baldo is offline   Reply With Quote