Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
zxzxzxzx
Human being with feelings

Default Accidental Automated Muting

Somehow I accidentally enabled automated mute on a track and I cannot figure out how to undo it.

The track plays until a certain point and then mutes itself. The meter grays out and displays "Automated".
zxzxzxzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
zxzxzxzx

The problem was the volume hitting the level protection limit or whatever it's called, causing it to mute the track.
zxzxzxzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
SiddieNam

Default You figured it out, but...

... Auto Mute is a feature designed to stop you blowing up your speakers, eardrums, or just doing silly stuff with your mixes. I would leave it set to on and its default settings, to be honest -- you won't be creating anything meaningfully useful if stuff is so loud you're causing auto-mutes. It should be seen as a positive feature, even though it can be annoying when you first encounter it.

Obviously the way to react to an auto-mute event is to investigate what's happening on the offending track and make changes there. Then you're good to go. Turning the fader down is a good place to start! You could try reducing the input gain, too, if such a control exists. There are a variety of options depending on what's causing the over-loud output.

This is a good question, anyway. If you want to muck about with the automute settings they're in Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Mute/Solo. There's a bunch of choices you can make that affect the behaviour there, inclulding the option to switch it off. But (and this is a personal opinion, of course) the defaults seem fine to me.

Last edited by SiddieNam; 07-24-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo correction
SiddieNam is offline   Reply With Quote