Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default For those with any interest in PipeWire, WirePlumber is on the way!

We all know that PipeWire has a ways to go before it's ready for prime time. However, for those who are following PipeWire with any sort of interest, this new PipeWire session manager may also be found to be interesting:

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...e-desktop.html

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/wireplumber
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Sitruc55

I'm using Fedora Jam 34 which comes pre-configured with pipewire as the default audio subsystem. There's been some diss'ing of pipewire on this forum, all I can say is that I'm very happy with it and wouldn't go back to using pulseaudio/JACK. Do you need it? Only if you have multiple audio sources and sinks that you want to route/re-route through your system (as I do). If you have just a fixed configuration, then using alsa in Reaper is simpler and should work great.

Pipewire is designed to be a drop-in replacement for pulseaudio and JACK and as such many of those management apps work. I use Carla to "plumb" pipewire (Carla thinks its JACK). There is also a commandline utility "pw-cli" that you can use now.

I'm looking forward to wireplumber as a specific pipewire session manager. wireplumber is due to be released with Fedora Jam 35 sometime around Oct 2021.
Sitruc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
4duhwinnn

That's good news. I think the critics are of non-Fedora pipewire,
so it's good at least one important distro has invested the hours
to make it work. I look forward to any and all sensible gui's, config files,
and setup regimens. A youtube walkthru would be cool.
Thanks for the positive update. I'll try a Fedora install after some vacation time on the river!
Do you know if Fernando Lezcano is involved in the project? It looks like
CCRMA is still firing on all cylinders!
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitruc55 View Post
There's been some diss'ing of pipewire on this forum,
I haven't seen any. I've seen fair criticism of the current state of Pipewire, and recommendations against it for low latency DAW use, at least for now. I'm one of the people who have said so.

It's not ready in most distros, and people have been trying to make it work, which causes frustration to them. I've also seen posts on several forums about bugs in Pipewire which were really irritating, although they were being fixed quickly. Some people are getting it working, and most of them are reporting having to do some unexpected configuration changes for it to work well. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it's not going to be easy for the average user on all distros right now. The intended audience of most of the recommendations I make is: Windows users new to Linux; so that factors strongly into my advice. Expert Linux users need not pay attention to anything I say. They know more than I do, and they'd recognize that.

Also Pipewire isn't as low latency as ALSA. So for anyone using Reaper and wanting low latency such as I currently enjoy (6 ms round trip, not the "reported value" but actual measured/confirmed), that isn't happening with Pipewire (at least yet).

Pipewire is a more general-use system for the OS's audio, and I'm fine with that. When it's ready to replace Pulse Audio in the distro I'm using, I'll use Pipewire for things other than Reaper and be happy with it. If it ends up being able to perform as well as (or better than) ALSA, I'll gladly switch to it then for that purpose too.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-25-2021 at 07:36 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
Sitruc55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

Also Pipewire isn't as low latency as ALSA. So for anyone using Reaper and wanting low latency such as I currently enjoy (6 ms round trip, not the "reported value" but actual measured/confirmed), that isn't happening with Pipewire (at least yet).

So you got my interest. How did you measure your round trip latency? I'd like to duplicate your measurement to see what I'm getting.

Thanks,
Sitruc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Here are two ways you can do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzS--D765Zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZcXZ9kEJbY

Be sure to disable monitoring on the track if you're using that 2nd method (since it involves recording from one track to another while a loopback is happening).

No matter which method you use, also be sure to disable hardware monitoring on the device.

For either situation if you don't disable the monitoring, feedback will result and it may damage your hardware (plus make an unpleasantly loud sound).

You'll find the ALSA system has additional latency not reported by the driver to Reaper (on the top right corner of the main window). So the total actual latency is always higher than that, in reality. That's also the case for most drivers in other OSes too.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-25-2021 at 10:52 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote