Old 07-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
merseymale
Human being with feelings

Default Splitting MONO tracks

I’m Using a multi track that records to SDcards but some of the tracks are stereo.
Is there a way, in REAPER, to split these into two separate mono tracks
OR do I have to go out to an external audio editor like Sound Forge?
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer!
merseymale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
serr

You can set item properties to see/hear a single mono channel or a stereo pair from a multichannel file. If you're mixing using that file, that's all you need to do. If you want to create a new file that is a mono file from one of the channels, you need to render it. You always render/glue/freeze to create new files.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
toleolu

What works for me is I right click on the stereo track, select Item Processing, and from there select, Explode multi channel audio or midi item to new one-channel items.

Hope that works.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
serr

^^^ That's another convenient option.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
merseymale

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
^^^ That's another convenient option.
Soooooo….. am I right in thinking that I have to mute all the other tracks; Duplicate the stereo files to there’s two of each of them in REAPER(& mute the duplicates of them too); Pan audio all the way to one side and render it while somehow specifying it should be rendered to a mono format; do the same with the other duplicated stereo track only panning all the other side?
Old 07-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
merseymale

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
What works for me is I right click on the stereo track, select Item Processing, and from there select, Explode multi channel audio or midi item to new one-channel items.

Hope that works.
I’m not near I computer till tomorrow, as it happens, but are you saying that if you right click the stereo audio track and scroll down the options they’ll be one talking about “explode…“ And that will automatically split one stereo track into two separate mono ones?
Old 07-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by merseymale View Post
Soooooo….. am I right in thinking that I have to mute all the other tracks; Duplicate the stereo files to there’s two of each of them in REAPER(& mute the duplicates of them too); Pan audio all the way to one side and render it while somehow specifying it should be rendered to a mono format; do the same with the other duplicated stereo track only panning all the other side?
You can navigate to the item setting for mono L or mono R from a right click on the item. No fucking around.

If you wanted to end up with a stereo file in two channels for independent control, that 'explode' action does that all at once.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by merseymale View Post
I’m not near I computer till tomorrow, as it happens, but are you saying that if you right click the stereo audio track and scroll down the options they’ll be one talking about “explode…“ And that will automatically split one stereo track into two separate mono ones?
Almost - after the right click, look in Item Processing and you will see the option to explode multichannel audio. Click that and you will see two new (mono) tracks are created from your stereo item.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #9
merseymale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
Almost - after the right click, look in Item Processing and you will see the option to explode multichannel audio. Click that and you will see two new (mono) tracks are created from your stereo item.
E X C E L E N T!!
Thanks