Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
helil
Human being with feelings

Default I can't watch (listen to) youtube tutorials while using reaper

I'm trying to follow a video tutorial while using Reaper, but if I select Reaper, audio from the video halts.
Can it be done?
helil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Lynx_TWO

Are you trying to do this on TheyTube? If so, just grab something like JDownloader2 and download the tutorial to your hard drive first. There’s probably other ways of doing it too…

Don’t forget you can also fix your hosts file (www.someonewhocares.org) and Adblock has settings to block even “legal” ads. For system security, of course…
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:18 AM   #3
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by helil View Post
I'm trying to follow a video tutorial while using Reaper, but if I select Reaper, audio from the video halts.
Can it be done?
Depends on your sample rates being matched and your audio driver allowing it.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:19 AM   #4
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Are you trying to do this on TheyTube? If so, just grab something like JDownloader2 and download the tutorial to your hard drive first.
And then they'll have the exact same problem when trying to play the video in any other app.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:25 AM   #5
Charango

Quote:
Can it be done?
Short answer (as you don't give any info on your system etc.) YES

Long answer: it depends on your system, soundcard and setup. Here for example, I'm on Ubuntu using the ALSA driver. I can see and hear a youtube video and work in Reaper at the same time ONLY IF I don't have Record enabled or audio playing in Reaper because the soundcard demands exclusive access to the audio. However, it's still pretty easy to work with a youtube video. For example, I watch a part of the video on youtube, I stop it and then go into Reaper and do what I want, then stop Reaper playing and then go back to youtube...
I could set my system up to do both simultaneously using another driver (called Jack) but I don't need it. On Windows I just tried it using the Wasapi driver and I can hear a youtube video and play a soundfile in reaper at the same time.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:08 AM   #6
enroe

Quote:
Can it be done?
You can alternatively read the manual!

And guess what: I bet you can simultaneously read the
manual and work in Reaper!
Old 07-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #7
jeranx

Hi helil.

In the Prefs, you'll find some options to make the audio device free when Reaper is stopped.
It's probably cause you're with the Asio system.

Bye
jeranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
You can alternatively read the manual!

And guess what: I bet you can simultaneously read the
manual and work in Reaper!
please dont purposely miss the subject ^^

That said I would try different drivers, I think it might be something in this area... What audio drivers are you using?
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #9
zxzxzxzx

I had this problem when I first started to use Reaper.

Assuming you are using an ASIO device... I got it working by enabling both the "Windows default input device" and the "ASIO input device" in Windows sound settings.

I posted how to do it in another thread a while back. I copied and Pasted it below. Disregard any device specific references that may be included. It's pasted as is from my original post. Info applies to any ASIO device. Hopefully it makes sense...

"Search for instructions to enable both of your sound devices at the same time. I am running Windows 7 so I have no idea how to do it in Windows 10. Youtube should have tutorials for Win 10. A web search should yield a lot of results for Win 10. I had to dig around a bit more for Win 7 instructions.

I set the original sound device as default. The applications that play sound use that device as they normally would. In Reaper preferences, I set it to use my interface device.

Both devices now work independently. I am able to play a video in Firefox while Reaper is in playback and can switch between them without any hiccups as they are both actively playing.

Make sure your drivers are up to date with the Onyx and then try enabling both devices.

If you run into volume issues go into the playback device property and check volume level on the "Levels" tab. When I did a mouse over on the speaker icon it was at 100%. The device properties level was at 4%. Properties level lost sync the Windows mixer and volume controls. Maybe that was just Win 7 issue."
zxzxzxzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #10
Markhol

Default AsioLinkPro

I use a piece of software called Asio Link Pro. I set it up on an old Windows 10 laptop and can run YouTube videos, Windows media files and Reaper tracks simultaneously. It is free to download and the key has been cracked with permission of the late author's family.
Markhol is offline   Reply With Quote