Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-15-2021, 06:54 AM   #1441
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
What script? I thought you just wanted to control the metronome volume action? Search the Actions List and assign the action there to your knob. That's what I suggested.
I meant "action" not script. I did what you suggested. Didn't work. ��

Last edited by mozart999uk; 07-15-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: thought of something else
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #1442
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I meant "action" not script. I did what you suggested. Didn't work. ��
Ok but the way you described doing it was strange...you opened Actions List, searched and selected the action, clicked Add button to add a shortcut?

At that point you should have at least 2 floating windows and the one to learn the parameter should update instantly when you move any parameter on your controller. You had no open windows at that point?

One thing that may have happened is your MIDI device changed its name and has to be enabled again in prefs. This happens to me whenever I change USB ports for some devices. If you get no feedback in that shortcuts window, then your device is not getting data to Reaper.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:21 AM   #1443
mozart999uk

Quote:
Ok but the way you described doing it was strange...you opened Actions List, searched and selected the action, clicked Add button to add a shortcut?

At that point you should have at least 2 floating windows and the one to learn the parameter should update instantly when you move any parameter on your controller. You had no open windows at that point?

One thing that may have happened is your MIDI device changed its name and has to be enabled again in prefs. This happens to me whenever I change USB ports for some devices. If you get no feedback in that shortcuts window, then your device is not getting data to Reaper.
Booom. You fixed it. I was running the action rather than adding a shortcut. Twit! :-) Thanks. Works better now than ever!
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #1444
BengtS

Quote:
Not a hack, it's the reason such features exist. Reaper can't know what values your controls are at unless that data is sent somehow.

You'd be much better off spending $50 on a small hardware mixer for mixing volume levels you want to remain consistent.
I do see your point, and if I was working in a studio, it would indeed be better to get an extra mixer.

However, I am working mostly on my laptop and in various locations. Bringing a mixer with me everywhere would double the weight I have to carry.
BengtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #1445
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.0-pre.3 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- Internal change: Added and changed code for upcoming "Discrete processing" feature (#184)
- #370 Added mapping option "Show in projection" (enabled by default)
- #367 Improved usability by putting "Send feedback after control" and "Prevent echo feedback" into dropdown (because it doesn't make sense to combine them)
- #369 Fixed MiniLab mkII controller preset: Projection feedback for pads works now
- #332 Fixed confusing logic that caused the preset save button to not be greyed out after making mappings project-independent
- #405 Fixed lag when sending MIDI messages to FX output (both when letting incoming messages through and when sending them via "MIDI: Send message" target)
- #388 Fixed bug that caused ReaLearn send targets to forget the kind of send
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #1446
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.0-pre.4 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #401 Added source "MIDI device changes" in new source category "REAPER" (for reacting to MIDI device plug/unplug events)
- #386 Added variable selected_track_index for use in dynamic track expression
- #395 Improved versatility by guaranteeing mappings within one compartment to be processed in the order of definition (exception: ReaLearn parameters)
- #387 Improved "MIDI/OSC: Send message" targets by making it work with "Toggle buttons" mode and relative encoders
- #387 Fixed reverse behavior for discrete targets (2.10.0-pre.3 regression)
- #390 Fixed bug that caused "The pipe is being closed" error on some systems when choosing "MIDI: Send message" target
- #406 Fixed non-reliable dynamic selectors for send, FX and FX parameters (was only working reliably for tracks before)
- Fixed large binary size on macOS (regression introduced with 2.10.0-pre.1)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #1447
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Released ReaLearn 2.10.0-pre.4 (ReaPack installation instructions)
- #401 Added source "MIDI device changes" in new source category "REAPER" (for reacting to MIDI device plug/unplug events)
This seems great !
As I described in some other thread, I did a Python program that does something similar when running before Reaper is launched.

I'll try to find this in the ReaLearn docs to learn more.

In fact what I would find very helpful is to have a tool that handles the weird way Windows adds "random" number-prefixes to the Midi device names when using different USB sockets for the same hardware.

BTW.: another thing my Python program does is to start different Reaper projects regarding to which Midi devices it finds. Could zhis also be done by ReaLearn: Load a different project in place of the current one accortding to the devices it finds ?

Thanks for your incredible work !

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #1448
baldo

Default Bundle custom action/script with realearn

Hi benjamin,

Realearn is now one my favorite external resource of reaper, so great ;-).

I Have a question/suggestion :

If I want to share a realearn preset that triggers reaper actions scripts, my guess is that i have to to the following :
- save a realearn preset
- share the scripts
- export a Reaper Keymap (so that the ID of the script are exported and can be "bind" to realearn)

Is there an easier way to do this ?

I feel like realearn is the perfect tool to easily program and share "deep controller" integration with other users, and it would be awesome to have an easier way, almost plug and play way of doing this.
baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #1449
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldo View Post
The import/export buttons in the plugin will transfer all the data in that instance as text. My scripts are mostly from ReaPack and they end up with the same ID on all computers, so unless your scripts are customized or uncommon, that should be all you need to do.

Would be a neat feature to detect and sync instances across a network tho...
Old 07-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #1450
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
In fact what I would find very helpful is to have a tool that handles the weird way Windows adds "random" number-prefixes to the Midi device names when using different USB sockets for the same hardware.

BTW.: another thing my Python program does is to start different Reaper projects regarding to which Midi devices it finds. Could zhis also be done by ReaLearn: Load a different project in place of the current one accortding to the devices it finds ?

Thanks for your incredible work !

-Michael
Thanks. This would be technically possible but it would go beyond the scope of this plug-in. ReaLearn's signals are control values such as +1, -5, 40% etc., not things like MIDI device IDs. E.g. the new "MIDI device changes" source emits a value of 100% when something has been plugged in and 0% when plugged out.

For your purpose a dedicated script or extension is probably the best way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldo View Post
Hi benjamin,

Realearn is now one my favorite external resource of reaper, so great ;-).

I Have a question/suggestion :

If I want to share a realearn preset that triggers reaper actions scripts, my guess is that i have to to the following :
- save a realearn preset
- share the scripts
- export a Reaper Keymap (so that the ID of the script are exported and can be "bind" to realearn)

I feel like realearn is the perfect tool to easily program and share "deep controller" integration with other users, and it would be awesome to have an easier way, almost plug and play way of doing this.
Mmh, interesting use case. There's no easy solution at the moment.

It would probably be good if the ReaLearn preset would be totally self-contained, containing even the code of all used ReaScript. Ideally, ReaLearn would not even require those self-contained ReaScripts to be available in the REAPER actions list - but execute them itself. But I don't think the REAPER API provides a way to "compile" and in turn execute ReaScripts without adding them to the action list at first. Therefore ReaLearn would need to execute a setup step when loading a preset which probably would involve the REAPER API function AddRemoveReaScript(). And remove the script when unloaded or similar.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 AM   #1451
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.0-pre.5 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #391 Added support for target value sequences (including ranges, customizable step sizes etc., even supports true relative control!)
- #411 Added target unit button for switching between 1. native target unit and 2. percentages (chosen unit will be used whenever entering/displaying target values or step sizes, saved per mapping)
- #410 Improved versatility of "Make absolute" checkbox by also making it available in "Incremental buttons" mode
- #409 Improved jump settings by displaying and letting one enter step sizes instead of absolute values (makes much more sense)

Make sure to check out the new target value sequence feature. It's quite powerful.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #1452
baldo

Quote:
Thanks. This would be technically possible but it would go beyond the scope of this plug-in. ReaLearn's signals are control values such as +1, -5, 40% etc., not things like MIDI device IDs. E.g. the new "MIDI device changes" source emits a value of 100% when something has been plugged in and 0% when plugged out.

For your purpose a dedicated script or extension is probably the best way.

Mmh, interesting use case. There's no easy solution at the moment.

It would probably be good if the ReaLearn preset would be totally self-contained, containing even the code of all used ReaScript. Ideally, ReaLearn would not even require those self-contained ReaScripts to be available in the REAPER actions list - but execute them itself. But I don't think the REAPER API provides a way to "compile" and in turn execute ReaScripts without adding them to the action list at first. Therefore ReaLearn would need to execute a setup step when loading a preset which probably would involve the REAPER API function AddRemoveReaScript(). And remove the script when unloaded or similar.
This use case is meant to create "fun controller mapping" as if reaper was a groove box : I am using custom scripts to create a 1 bar region at the end of the project, double a region, duplicate a region or erase a region.

When coupled with realearn and its fabulous ability to seek region with feedbacks, this starts to feel like you are using ableton live scenes or an MPC/groovebox workflow. Even better, using sws extensions region playlist, it provides a complete framework to arrange a song after a small "jam"

Another thing realearn is missing for this use case is the ability to "build" a custom step sequencer using led feedback (note position as a target, set note as a target). It would not only be fun be but would also make an awesome, flexible and stable replacement for ableton live controllers (I know Driven by Moss, but I don't like it as much as realearn for a lot of different reasons).
baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #1453
foxAsteria

Quote:
Make sure to check out the new target value sequence feature. It's quite powerful.
Hi, does this allow for using a sequence of track names? I tried messing with target values but the phrase appears so many times in the manual I didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #1454
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi, does this allow for using a sequence of track names? I tried messing with target values but the phrase appears so many times in the manual I didn't find what I was looking for.
No. Just search for "Target values:". You also get a little help displayed when you enter something in that field.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #1455
foxAsteria

Quote:
No. Just search for "Target values:". You also get a little help displayed when you enter something in that field.
Schade... I was searching "target values," and there were many, many hits...but I will investigate further. Danke.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:47 AM   #1456
BengtS

Default Absolute Faders and change of Project

Hi Helgoboss,

I am using your Realearn now for some months and I really like it. :-)

I have two cases, where I could need some help:

I use absolute faders (not motorized) and I want the value set on the faders to be transferred between projects.

a) when I switch between two loaded projects
b) when I load a new project

I an aware that this is contrary to motorized faders, where the value in the project is sent to the motorized faders in these cases. I think, however, that for faders that are not motorized, it is much more intuitive if the set value on the faders are used to set the value in the project. As it is now, I have to touch each fader to set the value in the project.

I use Realearn on the monitorFX to be able to use it in all projects.

In each project, I use the faders to control e.g. the volume of the monitors and headphones during mixing, which are connected on different ASIO outs.

Also when recording, I use it to set the volume sent to the headphones of the singer as well as tings like compression and reverb. It would be great if these settings would be transferred when switching to the next song.

What do you think? Is this a reasonable use case?

TIA!

Best regards,
Bengt
BengtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #1457
helgoboss

Quote:
Schade... I was searching "target values," and there were many, many hits...but I will investigate further. Danke.
In pre6 I renamed this to "Value sequence". You can just enter something in the field by the way and you see an explanation.

By the way, if there's a feature you desire (sounds like it ... entering track specific names or something?), you need to open an FR. Otherwise I don't know about it and then the feature will probably never come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengtS View Post
Hi Helgoboss,

I am using your Realearn now for some months and I really like it. :-)

I have two cases, where I could need some help:

I use absolute faders (not motorized) and I want the value set on the faders to be transferred between projects.

a) when I switch between two loaded projects
b) when I load a new project

I an aware that this is contrary to motorized faders, where the value in the project is sent to the motorized faders in these cases. I think, however, that for faders that are not motorized, it is much more intuitive if the set value on the faders are used to set the value in the project. As it is now, I have to touch each fader to set the value in the project.

I use Realearn on the monitorFX to be able to use it in all projects.

In each project, I use the faders to control e.g. the volume of the monitors and headphones during mixing, which are connected on different ASIO outs.

Also when recording, I use it to set the volume sent to the headphones of the singer as well as tings like compression and reverb. It would be great if these settings would be transferred when switching to the next song.

What do you think? Is this a reasonable use case?

TIA!

Best regards,
Bengt
It would be technically possible that I add an option "Enforce" or something which makes ReaLearn memorize your last fader position and make sure that the target value corresponds to that fader position AT ALL TIMES. So that whenever you attempt to change the target value (e.g. hardware output volume) within REAPER (even by adjusting the value with your mouse, not just when changing the project tab), ReaLearn will prevent it and instead let it snap back to the position of the fader. In other words: This would let your fader act as the "single source of truth".

I think implementing this as a "transfer/sync" that happens only when changing project tabs would be too specialized (fitting just your use case) and too shaky (= likely to not work reliably, especially in corner cases).

Have you considered approaching this in another way? Instead of duplicating your monitoring concerns (monitoring/headphone outputs etc.) for each single project, couldn't you just let the monitoring FX chain deal with it? Then your monitoring stuff would be always the same in each project and you could change it for all projects without even touching them. As a side effect, you wouldn't have to sync/transfer and fader positions because the volumes would not be associated at all with the project tab. I don't know the details of your setup, but I think the monitoring FX chain can be quite powerful and also supports multiple outputs via pin connectors.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #1458
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.10.0-pre.6 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #413 Improved fire mode "After timeout" by making it work in combination with "Press only" button filter (you can now press a button and no matter how long you press it, it will fire after the specified timeout)
- #391 Improved wording by renaming "Target values" to "(Target) value sequence"
- #391 Fixed rounding issues when using ranges in target value sequences
- Fixed non-working fire mode (pre5 regression)
Old 08-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #1459
foxAsteria

Quote:
By the way, if there's a feature you desire (sounds like it ... entering track specific names or something?), you need to open an FR. Otherwise I don't know about it and then the feature will probably never come.
Thanks, I did a while back: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/325
That's why I hoped this one might be the one to include it.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:15 AM   #1460
andrewx

Default The "Global: Last Touched" target changes focus if any automated parameter is present

For example, I have an automation envelope of parameter A. And I'd like to adjust parameter B in real-time. So, I touch param B, hit Play and I can't control it actually, as the envelope of parameter A seems to override last touched one. Even if there's some parameter modulated by another - Realean considers it as last touched. Is it possible to adjust last touched parameters that I actually touch by mouse, ignoring automation envelopes and modulation?

Last edited by andrewx; 08-03-2021 at 02:51 PM.
andrewx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #1461
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
For example, I have an automation envelope of parameter A. And I'd like to adjust parameter B in real-time. So, I touch param B, hit Play and I can't control it actually, as the envelope of parameter A seems to override last touched one. Even if there's some parameter modulated by another - Realean considers it as last touched. Is it possible to adjust last touched parameters that I actually touch by mouse, ignoring automation envelopes and modulation?
The challenge for ReaLearn is to distinguish a manual adjustment (= "touched") from an automated one. It uses some technique to detect the presence of an automation envelope and then disables that target from being detected as touched. In your case it doesn't seem to work for some reason. Can you send the RPP file to info@helgoboss.org?

The detection of parameter modulation is not implemented at all. There's probably a way in the API to detect it but I didn't try hard yet.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #1462
MusicIsMedicine

Lovin' the new value sequencer

I'm using MIDI notes to trigger it, is there a way to make the sequence start from the beginning when a new note on is received?

Here is an idea as well, how about looping?
I know you can do stuff like 1 - 10, 10 - 1, however I was thinking something like this 1 - 10 (L3), 11 - 20, 21 - 100 (L5).
In that exanp, it would loop 1-10 3 times, then play 11-20 once followed by a 5x loop of 21-100.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could even have "LF" for loop forward and "LR" for reverse loops.

By the way how many values does the sequencer accept?
MusicIsMedicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #1463
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicIsMedicine View Post
Lovin' the new value sequencer

I'm using MIDI notes to trigger it, is there a way to make the sequence start from the beginning when a new note on is received?

Here is an idea as well, how about looping?
I know you can do stuff like 1 - 10, 10 - 1, however I was thinking something like this 1 - 10 (L3), 11 - 20, 21 - 100 (L5).
In that exanp, it would loop 1-10 3 times, then play 11-20 once followed by a 5x loop of 21-100.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could even have "LF" for loop forward and "LR" for reverse loops.

By the way how many values does the sequencer accept?
Great! "Sequencer" is quite a "big" word for this feature

How exactly do you trigger the sequence via MIDI notes? Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you restart the sequence with each press? Need to know more details about how exactly is your setup.

Looping would be quite easy to add, but can you tell me more about your use case? Is it worth it vs. just repeating the ranges?

There's no artificial limitation of how many values a sequence has.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #1464
kimi1

Default Playing with channels

Hi Benjamin,
I set to work Reaper with my two controllers (AKAI MPD218 and Korg nanoKontrol2). I have B3 organ VST and I mapped my nanoKontrol's eight faders to Upper Drawbars with default channel = 1. I found that I should be able to use the lower keyboard and Drawbars by swapping the channel to 2. So, Channel 1 = Upper keyboard/Drawbars, channel 2 - Lower Keyboard/Drawbars.
I mapped "previous track" button to channel 1 and "next track" to channel 2 by using the actions "Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 1" and "Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 2" respectively.
This changes keyboards correctly, but at this moment I have only one set of drawbars. Upper, that I can move (see the attached images Channel_1_Active_1 and Channel_2_Active_1). I tried mapping the lower the same way as the upper drawbars by using channel = 2 in ReaLearn interface but this did not work.
Is it possible to use these channels 1 and 2 dynamically in order to add Lower Drawbars to faders? I thought that maybe this would be possible by using channels set by the buttons as parameters but have no idea how to implement this. I did not understand well the parameters section in manual. Where should I type, for example y= p1 =1 to activate Upper Drawbar and y=p1 =2 to activate the lower one, or something like that?
My current mapping for Upper Drawbars is as in the image 1. For Lower drawbars, everything would be the same, except the channel would be 2. As I mentioned, this channel swapping work for upper/lower keyboard but not for the drawbars.

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReaLearn Drawbars.jpg (62.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Channel 1 Active_1.jpg (62.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Channel 2 Active_1.jpg (63.0 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by kimi1; 08-07-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Adding images, clarification
kimi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #1465
onewayout

Quote:
The only clean way to do this would be if I add a first_selected_track_index variable which you can use instead of p0, p1 and so on. There's already a variable this_track_index, so it would be consequent and easy to add. But I'm still a bit busy with another feature which I need to finish first.
Hey helgaboss,

Just following up to see if your getting anytime to possibly implement this feature for realearn

"would be if I add a first_selected_track_index variable" ORIG POST #1396

Thx, Jeff
Old 08-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #1466
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi1 View Post
Hi Benjamin,
I set to work Reaper with my two controllers (AKAI MPD218 and Korg nanoKontrol2). I have B3 organ VST and I mapped my nanoKontrol's eight faders to Upper Drawbars with default channel = 1. I found that I should be able to use the lower keyboard and Drawbars by swapping the channel to 2. So, Channel 1 = Upper keyboard/Drawbars, channel 2 - Lower Keyboard/Drawbars.
I mapped "previous track" button to channel 1 and "next track" to channel 2 by using the actions "Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 1" and "Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 2" respectively.
This changes keyboards correctly, but at this moment I have only one set of drawbars. Upper, that I can move (see the attached images Channel_1_Active_1 and Channel_2_Active_1). I tried mapping the lower the same way as the upper drawbars by using channel = 2 in ReaLearn interface but this did not work.
Is it possible to use these channels 1 and 2 dynamically in order to add Lower Drawbars to faders? I thought that maybe this would be possible by using channels set by the buttons as parameters but have no idea how to implement this. I did not understand well the parameters section in manual. Where should I type, for example y= p1 =1 to activate Upper Drawbar and y=p1 =2 to activate the lower one, or something like that?
My current mapping for Upper Drawbars is as in the image 1. For Lower drawbars, everything would be the same, except the channel would be 2. As I mentioned, this channel swapping work for upper/lower keyboard but not for the drawbars.

Thanks,

Mike
I didn't quite get that. Could you describe what you want to achieve without using things like channels or ReaLearn wording, just the essence of what you want your faders to do without technical details? Then I can tell you how to implement it with ReaLearn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Hey helgaboss,

Just following up to see if your getting anytime to possibly implement this feature for realearn

"would be if I add a first_selected_track_index variable" ORIG POST #1396

Thx, Jeff
It's already there since a few prereleases ago. "selected_track_index" is the variable name.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #1467
onewayout

Quote:
I didn't quite get that. Could you describe what you want to achieve without using things like channels or ReaLearn wording, just the essence of what you want your faders to do without technical details? Then I can tell you how to implement it with ReaLearn.

It's already there since a few prereleases ago. "selected_track_index" is the variable name.
Right on, THX!
Old 08-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #1468
kimi1

Quote:
OK, I'll try
What I want is to use the same eight physical faders of my nanoKontrol2 to alternate between 8 upper drawbars and 8 lower drawbars of my VST B3 instrument.
Yesterday, I set the knobs to control lower drawbars, but this is not the same. Less precision and comfort compared to the faders.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-10-2021, 05:06 AM   #1469
onewayout

Quote:

Thx for your update helgaboss...I have a little situation, if you could watch this quick video and maybe point me in the right direction...?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi7xqqpnhd...n%202.mp4?dl=0

ORIG POST #1396 with video also (if needed)

Regards, Jeff
Old 08-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #1470
MusicIsMedicine

Quote:
Great! "Sequencer" is quite a "big" word for this feature

How exactly do you trigger the sequence via MIDI notes? Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you restart the sequence with each press? Need to know more details about how exactly is your setup.

Looping would be quite easy to add, but can you tell me more about your use case? Is it worth it vs. just repeating the ranges?

There's no artificial limitation of how many values a sequence has.
Ok, so here is the setup.
For "Source:Type", I set it to "Note velocity" then I select a specific note.
For "Target" I just learn an FX control.

In the "Tuning" section "Source" is left at Min:0 and Max:127.
In the area labeled "For knobs/faders and buttons (control only)" I have "Mode" set to "Incremental buttons"
For "Value sequence", whatever, something like 0 , 25, 50, 75, 100. It's Target Min/Max are left at 0/100.
In section labeled "For encoders and incremental buttons (control only)" Speed Min/Max are set to 1 for both, and Warp is ticked.
In section labeled "For buttons(control only)" I set this to "Fire after timeout, keep firing (turbo)".
As long as I hold the note it will continue to loop through the "Value sequence", however in my other post the idea was to be able to setup "Loop areas" within the sequence and set a specific number of loops for each area. After the specified amount of loops it should continue on with whatever values are left in the sequence and then start over if "Warp" is ticked.

So what else that would be nice is a tick box labeled something like "Reset" so that if the note is released and pushed again the sequence would start from the begining, because the way it is now it just continues from what ever value it was on when the note was released, which is ok for some situations,. The other thing would be a value box labeled something like "Release value" which would be the value that the target control would be set to upon release of the note. If left blank it would just work as it does now.

Having a designator such as [ (L#), (LF#), (LR#) ] would be just a nice, sort of shorthand way of seting up the number of loops, the direction, and also allow to have multiple loop sections within one sequence. Maybe even a designator such as (LP#) which would be for a ping/pong type of loop.

Last edited by MusicIsMedicine; 08-10-2021 at 01:00 PM.
MusicIsMedicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #1471
helgoboss

Quote:
OK, I'll try
What I want is to use the same eight physical faders of my nanoKontrol2 to alternate between 8 upper drawbars and 8 lower drawbars of my VST B3 instrument.
Yesterday, I set the knobs to control lower drawbars, but this is not the same. Less precision and comfort compared to the faders.

Thanks,

Mike
Ah, I get it. How do you want to alternate between controlling the 8 upper drawbars and 8 lower drawbars?

a) Press button A to switch to upper drawbars, press button B to switch to lower drawbars.

b) Hold button A to temporarily switch to lower drawbars.

c) Toggle button A to switch between upper and lower drawbars.

No matter what you choose, you need to create 2 mappings groups: Group "Upper drawbars" which contains the mappings from the faders to the 8 upper drawbars and group "Lower drawbars" for the 8 lower drawbars. Now the idea is to enable group "Upper drawbars" only if one of ReaLearn's main parameters (e.g. "Parameter 1") is "off" and group "Lower drawbars" only if it's "on". You do that by setting the "Active" dropdown to "When modifiers on/off".

The only thing left to do is to add mappings for changing "Parameter 1" via button. E.g. if you choose (b), you need to add a standard mapping ("Normal" mode) with button A as source and ReaLearn's "Parameter 1" as target.

Quote:
Thx for your update helgaboss...I have a little situation, if you could watch this quick video and maybe point me in the right direction...?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi7xqqpnhd...n%202.mp4?dl=0

ORIG POST #1396 with video also (if needed)

Regards, Jeff
Oh okay. If I'm correct, this has nothing to do with the "selected_track_index" feature. Isn't this exactly the same question as answered in post #1400? Did you try what I suggested there? What was the result? I installed CLA Mixhub back then but now my trial period run out, so I can't test by myself anymore.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #1472
onewayout

Quote:
You don't need "Poll for feedback" (it's a feature of the current prerelease), so just ignore that. Your next step is checking if it works (after learning the source, but I assume you know the ReaLearn basics). If it doesn't, stop right there and find the mistake before continuing.

Your little addition that you don't want control to be active when the plug-in GUI is hidden, it changes everything. Not sure now if that's possible. ReaLearn mappings have a checkbox "Only if FX focused", but it relates to the FX instance that's being controlled (the one of the currently selected track). In your case, I guess you want the mapping to be active whenever ANY of the MixHub instances is focused (because this Waves plug-in does something very unusual: displaying the state of all instances in one GUI).

You might be able to get it to work by saving above mapping as a preset (make sure it works first!), linking this preset to the MixHub plug-in and after that setting Auto-load to "Depending on focused FX". In the tutorials section of the user guide you will find a tutorial describing the basic process how to do this.
Thx, helgaboss

I tried this today but as I'm rereading it you "linking this preset to the MixHub plug-in"
As far As I know i ws thinking that was automatic when I chose the preset...Is there ANOTHER step I'm Missing?
Thx, jeff
Old 08-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #1473
helgoboss

Quote:
Ok, so here is the setup.
For "Source:Type", I set it to "Note velocity" then I select a specific note.
For "Target" I just learn an FX control.

In the "Tuning" section "Source" is left at Min:0 and Max:127.
In the area labeled "For knobs/faders and buttons (control only)" I have "Mode" set to "Incremental buttons"
For "Value sequence", whatever, something like 0 , 25, 50, 75, 100. It's Target Min/Max are left at 0/100.
In section labeled "For encoders and incremental buttons (control only)" Speed Min/Max are set to 1 for both, and Warp is ticked.
In section labeled "For buttons(control only)" I set this to "Fire after timeout, keep firing (turbo)".
As long as I hold the note it will continue to loop through the "Value sequence",
Wow, this is a cool usage, I didn't even think of combining it with "keep firing"! That indeed makes it a sort of sequencer, albeit a very sloppy one which is not rhythmically synced

Quote:
however in my other post the idea was to be able to setup "Loop areas" within the sequence and set a specific number of loops for each area. After the specified amount of loops it should continue on with whatever values are left in the sequence and then start over if "Warp" is ticked.
Quote:
Having a designator such as [ (L#), (LF#), (LR#) ] would be just a nice, sort of shorthand way of seting up the number of loops, the direction, and also allow to have multiple loop sections within one sequence. Maybe even a designator such as (LP#) which would be for a ping/pong type of loop.
Ah, I get it. Can you open a GitHub issue?

Example of what you can do now:

Code:
1, 5 - 10, 10 - 5, 5 - 10, 10 - 5, 20 - 30 (2), 20 - 30 (2)
So I guess you want to write that in a shorter way:

Code:
1, 5 - 10 (LP4), 20 - 30 (2, LF2)
I imagine something like this could be a more intuitive way to write it:

Code:
1, 2x (5 - 10, 10 - 5), 2x (20 - 30 (2))
Or maybe a bit better to read:

Code:
1, 2x [5-10, 10-5], 2x [20-30(2)]

Let's continue discussing the details of the loop feature in the GitHub issue.

Quote:
So what else that would be nice is a tick box labeled something like "Reset" so that if the note is released and pushed again the sequence would start from the begining, because the way it is now it just continues from what ever value it was on when the note was released, which is ok for some situations,. The other thing would be a value box labeled something like "Release value" which would be the value that the target control would be set to upon release of the note. If left blank it would just work as it does now.
You can achieve that by adding an additional mapping with same source and same target. Use the defaults for the tuning section (mode "Normal") and set the button filter to "Release only" (not "Press & release"!). Then releasing the note will reset your FX parameter. If you want to set it to a specific "Release value", just set both target min/max to that value.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #1474
helgoboss

Quote:
Thx, helgaboss

I tried this today but as I'm rereading it you "linking this preset to the MixHub plug-in"
As far As I know i ws thinking that was automatic when I chose the preset...Is there ANOTHER step I'm Missing?
Thx, jeff
No, the "linking this preset to the MixHub plug-in" is not something that ReaLearn does automatically. It's a completely separate feature called "Auto-load: Depending on focused FX". I just tried it (with ReaComp because I don't have CLA Mixhub) and it indeed should make your thing work! The reason is that "Auto-load: Depending on focused FX" loads a preset whenever the desired **type** of plug-in is focused, not only a specific **instance** of that plug-in. And that's exactly what you need. You need your mapping to become active whenever you focus "CLA Mixhub" plug-in, no matter which instance.

So here's what you need to do. Please start from scratch, clean project, clean ReaLearn, no other instances! Follow exactly and try to understand each step before proceeding to the next one. If something doesn't work, let me know exactly which step didn't work.

(1) Add a ReaLearn instance and configure "Control input" as desired.

It doesn't matter where you add it: Normal track FX chain, input FX chain, monitoring FX chain (if you want this to work in each of your projects automatically) ... everything okay.

(2) Add a mapping and learn the source with your fader/knob.

(3) Make the target section of the mapping look like this: https://i.imgur.com/xBVAOWc.png

Of course, your "Parameter" will look a bit differently because you actually have CLA MixHub plug-in. You get the idea. Track "<Selected>" and FX "By name" "VST3: CLA MixHub Mono (Waves)" are the most important settings here. This tells ReaLearn "Hey, make it control the FX named 'VST3: CLA MixHub Mono (Waves)' on whatever track is currently selected".

As soon as you have that in place, you should be able to control the desired parameter of "CLA MixHub" plug-in on the currently selected track using your fader/knob.

Does that work so far? If yes, let's continue.

The problem with the setup so far is that control is active even if the "CLA MixHub" plug-in is not focused. So we need to make sure that control is active whenever "CLA MixHub" plug-in is focused. NO MATTER WHICH INSTANCE! We are going to do this starting from step 4:

(4) Save this one mapping as a main preset called "Jeff".

(5) Right-click the header panel of ReaLearn / FX-to-preset links / <Add link from FX "VST3: CLA MixHub Mono (Waves)" to ...> / Jeff.

Adding this link from "FX type" to "preset" is a global setting, so in future, each ReaLearn instance which has "Auto-load" set to "Depending on focused FX" (see next step) will automatically load the "Jeff" preset whenever "CLA MixHub" plug-in is focused.

(6) Final step: Set "Auto-load" to "Depending on focused FX".

This sets ReaLearn into a mostly read-only mode which just switches between its presets depending on which FX is focused. If you focus "CLA MixHub" plug-in, it automatically loads your "Jeff" preset and thereby lets you control the "CLA MixHub" instance of the currently selected track using your knob/fader.

In future I could add a checkbox "Any FX of this type has focus" to FX targets. Then steps 4, 5 and 6 are not necessary. The only reason why it's a bit complicated at the moment is that I didn't think of plug-ins like "CLA MixHub" that are capable of combining the GUI of all instances within one instance.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #1475
onewayout

Quote:
No, the "linking this preset to the MixHub plug-in" is not something that ReaLearn does automatically. It's a completely separate feature called "Auto-load: Depending on focused FX". I just tried it (with ReaComp because I don't have CLA Mixhub) and it indeed should make your thing work! The reason is that "Auto-load: Depending on focused FX" loads a preset whenever the desired **type** of plug-in is focused, not only a specific **instance** of that plug-in. And that's exactly what you need. You need your mapping to become active whenever you focus "CLA Mixhub" plug-in, no matter which instance.

So here's what you need to do. Please start from scratch, clean project, clean ReaLearn, no other instances! Follow exactly and try to understand each step before proceeding to the next one. If something doesn't work, let me know exactly which step didn't work.

It doesn't matter where you add it: Normal track FX chain, input FX chain, monitoring FX chain (if you want this to work in each of your projects automatically) ... everything okay.

(3) Make the target section of the mapping look like this: https://i.imgur.com/xBVAOWc.png

Of course, your "Parameter" will look a bit differently because you actually have CLA MixHub plug-in. You get the idea. Track "<Selected>" and FX "By name" "VST3: CLA MixHub Mono (Waves)" are the most important settings here. This tells ReaLearn "Hey, make it control the FX named 'VST3: CLA MixHub Mono (Waves)' on whatever track is currently selected".

As soon as you have that in place, you should be able to control the desired parameter of "CLA MixHub" plug-in on the currently selected track using your fader/knob.

The problem with the setup so far is that control is active even if the "CLA MixHub" plug-in is not focused. So we need to make sure that control is active whenever "CLA MixHub" plug-in is focused. NO MATTER WHICH INSTANCE! We are going to do this starting from step 4:

(4) Save this one mapping as a main preset called "Jeff".

(5) Right-click the header panel of ReaLearn / FX-to-preset links / <Add link from FX "VST3: CLA MixHub Mono (Waves)" to ...> / Jeff.

Adding this link from "FX type" to "preset" is a global setting, so in future, each ReaLearn instance which has "Auto-load" set to "Depending on focused FX" (see next step) will automatically load the "Jeff" preset whenever "CLA MixHub" plug-in is focused.

(6) Final step: Set "Auto-load" to "Depending on focused FX".

This sets ReaLearn into a mostly read-only mode which just switches between its presets depending on which FX is focused. If you focus "CLA MixHub" plug-in, it automatically loads your "Jeff" preset and thereby lets you control the "CLA MixHub" instance of the currently selected track using your knob/fader.

In future I could add a checkbox "Any FX of this type has focus" to FX targets. Then steps 4, 5 and 6 are not necessary. The only reason why it's a bit complicated at the moment is that I didn't think of plug-ins like "CLA MixHub" that are capable of combining the GUI of all instances within one instance.
THX helgoboss! I', gonna try it now...My hands a a bit sore form messi' with it for the last 2 days..But if it works WOOOHOOO
Old 08-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #1476
onewayout

Quote:

Unfortunately it stops working here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3znd6v5v9...n%204.mp4?dl=0
Old 08-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #1477
helgoboss

Quote:
Unfortunately it stops working here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3znd6v5v9...n%204.mp4?dl=0
Judging your video, when you move your controller, it definitely controls SOME parameter within CLA MixHub. Otherwise you wouldn't see ReaLearn's target slider move. The question is why you don't see the change in the CLA MixHub plug-in. Can you press the "UI" button on top of the CLA MixHub plug-in? Do you see some change there!? Can you *hear* the change (could also be a graphics bug in CLA MixHub)?
Old 08-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #1478
onewayout

Quote:
Judging your video, when you move your controller, it definitely controls SOME parameter within CLA MixHub. Otherwise you wouldn't see ReaLearn's target slider move. The question is why you don't see the change in the CLA MixHub plug-in. Can you press the "UI" button on top of the CLA MixHub plug-in? Do you see some change there!? Can you *hear* the change (could also be a graphics bug in CLA MixHub)?
That seemed to trigger it! Thx Helgoboss!! I'll go through the rest tommorow!

Cheers, Jeff
Old 08-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #1479
kimi1

Quote:
Ah, I get it. How do you want to alternate between controlling the 8 upper drawbars and 8 lower drawbars?

a) Press button A to switch to upper drawbars, press button B to switch to lower drawbars.

b) Hold button A to temporarily switch to lower drawbars.

c) Toggle button A to switch between upper and lower drawbars.

No matter what you choose, you need to create 2 mappings groups: Group "Upper drawbars" which contains the mappings from the faders to the 8 upper drawbars and group "Lower drawbars" for the 8 lower drawbars. Now the idea is to enable group "Upper drawbars" only if one of ReaLearn's main parameters (e.g. "Parameter 1") is "off" and group "Lower drawbars" only if it's "on". You do that by setting the "Active" dropdown to "When modifiers on/off".

The only thing left to do is to add mappings for changing "Parameter 1" via button. E.g. if you choose (b), you need to add a standard mapping ("Normal" mode) with button A as source and ReaLearn's "Parameter 1" as target.
Hi Benjamin,
Well, the groups were the first part I have done.
I want to use my Previous Track (CC=58) and Next Track (CC=59) buttons to toggle between upper and lower drawbars (Option A).

So, before I wrote my question, I already tried setting parameters and this was the difficult part for me. I don't know how and where to do this. Check and uncheck Parameter 1 does not seem to work.

I attach the JSON of what I tried. Please be noted that I set the condition only in Upper 1 and Lower 1 drawbars because I didn't know how to continue. I'll appreciate if you can check the file and tell me exactly what to do with these two drawbars and I'll set the others accordingly. Also, I would like to switch between the upper and lower keyboard, which can be done by using Reaper action SWS/S&M: Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 1 (upper) and SWS/S&M: Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 2 (lower). Can I use the same buttons or should I map different ones?

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: txt Upper_Lower_Drawbars_JSON.txt (13.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by kimi1; 08-11-2021 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added information, modified JSON
Old 08-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #1480
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi Benjamin,
Well, the groups were the first part I have done.
I want to use my Previous Track (CC=58) and Next Track (CC=59) buttons to toggle between upper and lower drawbars (Option A).

So, before I wrote my question, I already tried setting parameters and this was the difficult part for me. I don't know how and where to do this. Check and uncheck Parameter 1 does not seem to work.

I attach the JSON of what I tried. Please be noted that I set the condition only in Upper 1 and Lower 1 drawbars because I didn't know how to continue. I'll appreciate if you can check the file and tell me exactly what to do with these two drawbars and I'll set the others accordingly. Also, I would like to switch between the upper and lower keyboard, which can be done by using Reaper action SWS/S&M: Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 1 (upper) and SWS/S&M: Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel 2 (lower). Can I use the same buttons or should I map different ones?

Thanks,

Mike
I'll explain in detail instead of sending the correct JSON to increase understanding

1. You should set the activation condition ("Active") on the whole group, not on the single mappings, otherwise you are going to be busy one night editing mappings

- You can do so by pressing "Edit" next to the group.
- Don't forget to set "Active" back to "Always" for the single mappings that you have already adjusted.

2. You only need one modifier (Param 1).

- In both groups, set "Modifier A" to "Param 1" and "Modifier B" to "<None>" (the default).
- In the group that you want to be on by default ("Lower drawbars"), untick the checkbox next to "Param 1" (that's like saying: The modifier must be "off" for the group to be active).
- In the other group, tick the checkbox next to "Param 1" (that's like saying: The modifier must be "on" for the group to be active).

3. The mapping "Set upper on" in the <Default> group (you need just one) needs to be totally changed.

- Delete the two existing mappings in the <Default> group.
- Add a new mapping with target set to "FX: Set parameter value", track and FX set to <This> and Parameter to "1. Main p1: Param 1".
- Learn the source (button A) accordingly.
- At this point you should already be able to switch to the upper drawbars while holding button A.
- If you want button A to toggle, set mode to "Toggle buttons".