Old 04-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
JOE SA SA
Human being with feelings

Default SVG on Reaper

And how about the Reaper 7 theme in svg? I mean, the whole program would be even lighter. Is it possible, many guys here can do it. Even for SWS. Isn´t it?
Old 04-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #2
Pink Wool

https://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=5033s
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
JOE SA SA

Now a day it's possible make some stuff(commands/scripts) via svg-svgsct. Isn't it...Justin?
Old 04-08-2021, 02:43 AM   #4
Junolab

I understand the huge undertaking of doing this, but it should be added slowly into the app, so the change happens over the next couple of years. It would make it easier for custom theme-developers and also make the standard theme much more flexible.
Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junolab View Post
I understand the huge undertaking of doing this, but it should be added slowly into the app, so the change happens over the next couple of years. It would make it easier for custom theme-developers and also make the standard theme much more flexible.
Well it can be made in the way old themes won't stop working. It is called backward compatibility. On the other hands there are dev builds, which can include this feature without pushing in to release builds.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
JOE SA SA

...but, I´m falling in love with Reaper 6 theme, it´s clean, and accurate for me...although Corbata blanca(White Tie) needs to be and think more like a musician and composer. You know...this or that tool(creative composer tool)here, here and here and no there or behind macros or rare scripts. It´s okay any way.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:08 AM   #7
lerian

SVG is a natural step forward, backwards compatibility or not. Its time to look ahead and make the right decisions. You can't have both. You can't please the old and benefit from the advantages of the new. Every company in the world knows that. And every time this happened, the old was not happy at first, but quickly realized the many added benefits.

Everything moves forward in life, nothing stays behind. And Reaper needs SVG and it also needs an improved theming engine that isn't a nightmare to designers, but made for them. Every - but every damn theme, including the official ones look unfinished and lack the coherence of what a designer working in a natural flow would do. Right now it can be so frustrating that many times people give up. Even the most simple things require the most complicated hacks.

I dont know when it will happen, i don't know IF will happen, but for sure i know im right about it, no matter what everyone else is saying. There were many people asking for logical things around here since 10 years ago, they never happened, and some people started to think that this is "the reaper way". I don't think it has to be this way, i think there is a much better way.

Last edited by lerian; 04-13-2021 at 12:41 AM.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:33 AM   #8
Phazma

Regarding backwards compatibility, wouldn’t it be a possible solution to just have an option under the advanced UI settings to switch Reaper between SVG or “legacy” mode?
Or even better, have Reaper detect what type of images the current theme is based upon and switch its GUI mode accordingly?
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:45 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Were Reaper to use vector graphics, would it read in those vectors from SVG? Perhaps, maybe, some tiny subset of the SVG format, which is a giant and crazy thing that even adobe illustrator doesn't do 'correctly'. But the format seems a weird thing to get caught up on; Reaper could just as well stay entirely raster based but start reading in those bitmaps via SVG, which isn't what you mean

If you take a look at the code of Fancier, the bottom half is just a load of inline SVG paths, but the key take away is that they are vectors not that they are SVG. I did it that way (in 2017), as much as anything, as an exploration of how vector theming in Reaper might work, because I believed that HiDPI was coming.

I've been originating the default themes as end-to-end 100% vector since V4, all those years ago. In V6, HiDPI did come. And it came as bitmaps, with 100% backwards theme compatibility and WALTER and the whole deal. If there was a time this might have happened, then would have been the time. HiDPI was the big theming/UI effort for V6 and as you can see, not vector, instead a big investment in the bitmap theming. So you could take that as a clue, or see that Justin has said no, which is a really really good clue.

Of course, please enjoy continuing to discuss this, I just hope no one is going to get demoralised when it doesn't happen. Will it happen one day? Sure, maybe. Maybe by then someone will have made a script that is a complete front end for Reaper, running skia on the GPU with GLSL shaders and blackjack and hookers. But soon? Seems extremely unlikely. Sorry.

Last edited by White Tie; 04-13-2021 at 01:50 AM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:32 AM   #10
lerian

Ok, that brings new light to the whole thing. So svg itself would heavily bloat Reaper, which we all can agree is a no-go. Yeah, maybe a subset would do sometimes in the future.

Well that settles it for me, thanks WT for the input.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
JOE SA SA

Many of us could screw Reaper 6 or 7 and...start an alternative SVG version in case it ever reaper begins to travel that path in the future, but is that allowed?
Old 07-23-2021, 06:11 AM   #12
Pashkuli
Banned

Brother Justin is wrong... well to say 'wrong' is a bit inadequate, but we are all getting older and with their age advancing people rarely like change (to change their mind as well).

I know one thing though:
Vector based interfaces are not the Future! They are already the Present!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 PM   #13
Win Conway

Will never happen, much more likely that the developers just make a DAW core that allows a 3rd party UI designed in whatever way they like, and that is nlikely too.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #14
Pashkuli
Banned

the year is 2015...

Studio One 3 is coming out:
Quote:
So, is the new Studio One GUI based on vector graphics? Technically – Yes. All backgrounds that can be tweaked by the user are rendered on the fly, same for the musical data and UI fonts, of course. For version 3, our graphics designers rebuilt all icons as vector files.
FL Studio went to vector UI and looks slick and smooth.
Ableton's UI has been vector since time immemorial.
Bitwig for sure is vector.

Reason definitely has the most "analogue" GUI, but is it really necessary?

I personally do not care how "analogue" the GUI looks but that is what "sells good" unfortunately (that is why I bought Reason 2.0 when it came out - my own first DAW).

I still do not quite get it why GUIs are not rendered in video-graphics or the built-in CPU graphic chipset?
Maybe the synching between audio and video will get misaligned or out of synch. I do not know.

All I know is during recording\mixing I do not play games or render 3D graphics, so I want this video card\chipset I bought for $300 to DO SOME WORK!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #15
Gass n Klang

oh yes, Bitwig looks so good. Reaper looks very Windows 98 in comparison. One of the ugliest DAWs on the market. It's so much more fun to work with a good looking tool.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #16
ivansc

But as usual, one persons idea of a great GUI is generally regarded as horrible and messy by a significant number of others.

I bought & worked with Ableton for a while but the one thing I hated was the GUI!
Old 08-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #17
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Brother Justin is wrong... well to say 'wrong' is a bit inadequate, but we are all getting older and with their age advancing people rarely like change (to change their mind as well).

I know one thing though:
Vector based interfaces are not the Future! They are already the Present!
D-mn, this is real. I loved change in my 20s and even earlier 30s but now that I’m getting ready to hit 40, I’ve noticed my tolerance for change is down….

That being said, there is this program here: https://vectormagic.com/

It’s the best one I’ve found for converting png files to vector graphics, to include true SVG. I might convert someone’s theme over to SVG to see if it’s a valid option and to weigh the size difference. Of course, SVG design from scratch would be the smallest, but it’s an interesting topic…
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #18
permeke

following
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #19
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
That being said, there is this program here: https://vectormagic.com/
What a great little tool. Can lead to some interesting results. Thanks for sharing!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #20
Lynx_TWO

Here's the Reaper 6.0 theme with all PNGs converted to SVG if anyone wants to test something. Obviously, the conversion won't be perfect but for the low resolution of the PNG files, it did a surprisingly decent job.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s5h...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #21
Funkybot

Quote:
Here's the Reaper 6.0 theme with all PNGs converted to SVG if anyone wants to test something. Obviously, the conversion won't be perfect but for the low resolution of the PNG files, it did a surprisingly decent job.

This is just kind of handy if you want to quickly whip up some toolbars for other themes too. Some things converted better than others as you point out, but still a quick way to get up and running with additional icons. Thanks!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #22
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SA SA View Post
And how about the Reaper 7 theme in svg? I mean, the whole program would be even lighter. Is it possible, many guys here can do it. Even for SWS. Isn´t it?
9 years ago, when believe it or not i knew even LESS than I do now, I was asking this kind of question:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ghlight=vector
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #23
PhelixK

Quote:

Interesting, but ehh, here on mac it shows the fallback 1x UI, however the theme configuration is read. What does it look like on your end? Should Reaper recognize .svg resources??

Btw. I’m able to export all my theme work as scalable svg, here’s a single element:

Code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 24  35"><defs><style>.cls-1{isolation:isolate;}.cls-2{fill:#fff;opacity:0.15;}.cls-3{fill:#3291ff;}.Yellow-1px-\(pefect\)-79,.cls-4{fill:none;}.Yellow-1px-\(pefect\)-79{stroke:#ff0;}.cls-4{stroke:#f0f;}.cls-5{fill:#191b1f;}.cls-6{opacity:0.5;mix-blend-mode:multiply;fill:url(#linear-gradient);}</style><linearGradient  id="linear-gradient" x1="1126" y1="4520.5" x2="1126" y2="4518.5"  gradientTransform="translate(-1108 -4499)"  gradientUnits="userSpaceOnUse"><stop offset="0"/><stop  offset="1" stop-color="#fff"  stop-opacity="0.3"/></linearGradient></defs><title>mcp_idxbg_sel</title><g  class="cls-1"><g id="STRIPCHANNEL__1x_"  data-name="STRIPCHANNEL_(1x)"><rect class="cls-2" x="1" y="8"  width="18" height="25"/><rect class="cls-3" x="1" y="33"  width="22" height="1"/><line class="Yellow-1px-(pefect)-79"  x1="0.5" x2="0.5" y2="9"/><line class="cls-4" x1="0.5" y1="9"  x2="0.5" y2="32"/><line class="cls-4" x1="23.5" y1="33" x2="23.5"  y2="34"/><line class="cls-4" x1="1" y1="0.5" x2="5"  y2="0.5"/><line class="cls-4" x1="17" y1="34.5" x2="19"  y2="34.5"/><line class="Yellow-1px-(pefect)-79" x1="19" y1="34.5"  x2="24" y2="34.5"/><rect class="cls-5" x="1" y="7" width="22"  height="1"/><rect class="cls-6" x="5.5" y="19.5" width="25"  height="2" transform="translate(-2.5 38.5)  rotate(-90)"/></g></g></svg>
( https://svgshare.com/s/_T1 )

Old 09-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #24
Lynx_TWO

I'm honestly surprised the SVG even works. Here on my end on Windows 10, Reaper just ignores the theme and keeps the current one if I load the SVG theme. I was under the impression that Reaper doesn't support SVG at all yet.

It's fantastic that you can support SVG right now though. I was thinking about building an Illustrator Template for theme development but would probably take a LONG time lol

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 09-07-2021 at 10:09 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #25
PhelixK

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised the SVG even works. Here on my end on Windows 10, Reaper just ignores the theme and keeps the current one if I load the SVG theme. I was under the impression that Reaper doesn't support SVG at all yet.

It's fantastic that you can support SVG right now though. I was thinking about building an Illustrator Template for theme development but would probably take a LONG time lol
Hi, not sure if you are replying to my post and sorry if I misunderstood. But no, SVG in Reaper is not recognized at all here on mac .. only the configuration file. For a minute I was under the impression that you and Funkybot could see the theme images in Reaper, maybe on Linux/Windows. My example was only to show a simple, yet complex element.

As for converting an existing theme to make use of scalable SVG resources, I assume everything will have to be marked up and re-positioned from within Reaper. Many elements use stretching and offset which may require further adjustment. In such case it's probably better to start all over from scratch

Old 09-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #26
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, not sure if you are replying to my post and sorry if I misunderstood. But no, SVG in Reaper is not recognized at all here on mac .. only the configuration file. For a minute I was under the impression that you and Funkybot could see the theme images in Reaper, maybe on Linux/Windows. My example was only to show a simple, yet complex element.

As for converting an existing theme to make use of scalable SVG resources, I assume everything will have to be marked up and re-positioned from within Reaper. Many elements use stretching and offset which may require further adjustment. In such case it's probably better to start all over from scratch

Agreed