Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
TLSLayer
Human being with feelings

Default Spoken Word Over Distortion

I'm going for what Metallica did in To Live is to Die. I've just tried using about six tracks but my vocals sounded not right. Does anybody know how to do this?
TLSLayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

It's almost all I ever do. Mostly, just compress the fuck out of it. Slow leveling compression then faster smashing compression then a little bit of saturation. Don't look for a bunch of booming bass from the voice. Cut out a bunch of low end before the dynamic processing. Emphasize the higher mids and lower highs for intelligibility before and/or after. And phase rotation. That's a secret weapon. An allpass filter or three in amongst the actual meet of the voice redistributes the energy just enough to make it more symmetrical so the later compression can work more efficiently and consistently.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
TLSLayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
It's almost all I ever do. Mostly, just compress the fuck out of it. Slow leveling compression then faster smashing compression then a little bit of saturation. Don't look for a bunch of booming bass from the voice. Cut out a bunch of low end before the dynamic processing. Emphasize the higher mids and lower highs for intelligibility before and/or after. And phase rotation. That's a secret weapon. An allpass filter or three in amongst the actual meet of the voice redistributes the energy just enough to make it more symmetrical so the later compression can work more efficiently and consistently.
"Don't look for a bunch of booming bass from the voice."
-Yeah, my song is intended to be dark sounding-It's against white nationalism. My vocals are calm in this song.

I'll see what I can do.
TLSLayer is offline   Reply With Quote