Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
feelingmusical
Human being with feelings

Default Render MIDI Project Until Silent

Short question: Is there any way (native or script) to have Reaper render a project with multiple midi tracks until the audio goes silent?

Details: I've been working with a lot of ambient music lately, and I have VSTs that add a lot of reverb, and sometime the tails stretch out quite long, and sometimes its hard to predict how long the tails will last, or they last different lengths every time the song is played due to random variables in the VST patches. I'd love to be able to simply render the song until the volume falls silent or below a certain threshold so as to not cut off the tails but also not to have to insert a ton of silence at the end of the song and manually chop it off every time just to avoid losing the tails.

Right now, the only way I can think to do this is to render each individual part and then draw a marker where it goes silent and render up to that marker. That wastes a lot of time rendering and un-rendering if I want to make changes again. I know there's a detect silence function, but that seems to only work with audio, not midi.

Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks!
feelingmusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
hanskroll

Bump. Would love to see this feature, even after almost 10 years.
hanskroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
Philbo King

In the render window you can enter a mSec time value to extend the render beyond the last project event. Try that.

If excess silence shows up, that would normally be fixed in mastering.