Old 04-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Tinted TCP selected?

What controls the color or amount of change to the TCP background when tinted?

It follows the tweaker settings if not tinted, but when tinted, not sure what sets it
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
cubic13
Human being with feelings

With the Reaper 5 theming implementation, it's basically the way both tcp_bg.png (track unselected) and tcp_bgsel.png (track selected) graphic files are tinted that defines the panel backgrounds. If they are both fully opaque, the panel will be tinted exactly as these files, even if the Preferences>Appearance>Track Control Panels>Tint track panel backgrounds option is ticked.

Things become different if there is a more or less amount of transparency in them : if there is an area fully transparent, it will get exactly the tint of the track color choosed.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

ahh thank you! So whats a good trick to make it so there's good contrast between the two?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Even if I set the image to transparent, it seems to change the color of both selected and unselected, do you know where that color shift is defined?
Old 04-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
cubic13

To make the selected panels stand out from the other ones, the simplest thing to do is to make the two with colors truely different with as much opacity as can be.

I'll take an example that I know well, my CRado theme. In it, the tcp_bg.png is more or less a RGBA of 55/55/62/172, the tcp_bgsel.png being 123/127/134/172. This make them distinct enough (for me, at least...), even with a partial transparency (opacity of 172 on a 0-255 scale).

So, you could ask me why the transparency ? Because I used, in a first version, fully opaque backgrounds to get rid of the whole panel tint. But several users wanted to have the background tinting again, so, instead of returning to the old pre-v5 way of doing things, I kept the non walter version 5 instruction (in the header of the rtconfig.txt - it allows the themer to grade the tinting of tcp and mcp backgrounds via their dedicated graphic files) and made them partially transparent instead.

I suggest you to look both at Nick Moritz RADO-V4 and my CRado themes. The first one has been done before the release of Reaper 5 and the second one after (with the version 5 instruction in the rtconfig.txt). There is also this which explains the whole thing more clearly, I guess...

HTWH
Old 04-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Awesome thank you!

One thing that is weirding me out is that different themes are coloring the same tint colors differently. I even went in and made some elements fully transparent so that they should show the same color from the same tint in each them, yet they are different
Old 04-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Same color tint, different results....tcp.bg and bg_sel editied to be the same colors and transparency
Attached Images
File Type: png theme 1.PNG (39.1 KB, 374 views)
File Type: png theme 2.PNG (28.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
cubic13

Are you sure that the directive version 5 was active in both cases ? Using the default theme, I get similar results whether I comment out or not this directive in the header of the rtconfig.txt file...
Old 04-19-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I didnt have that right...I put it in and Im a lot lot closer now! Very close to happy, but now for some reason my MCP wont tint, figuring it out now
Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #10
hopi

hey pipe...

for me, in the themes I really end up using, there is always a problem with how the tcp and mcp panels look when selected or not selected

Like you, I like to see the panels fully colored but merely having them show a little brighter or darker when selected has fooled me many times since depending on what color they are set to I'm not always immediately aware if they are selected.... soooooo

I edit the png files [you know how to get at them and then re-compress the theme.... yes?]
Ok... pretend yes, ...so I put a 1-2 px border around the select png panels.... usually a red or yellow or orange... sometimes white is good
You have to pay mind to the special pink not mess with that...
A little experimentation and a bit of photoshop skills make it pretty easy to do, since in PS we can work with a separate layer and then save as png to combine them untill we have it 'just right'...

Old 04-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #11
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
hey pipe...

for me, in the themes I really end up using, there is always a problem with how the tcp and mcp panels look when selected or not selected

Like you, I like to see the panels fully colored but merely having them show a little brighter or darker when selected has fooled me many times since depending on what color they are set to I'm not always immediately aware if they are selected.... soooooo

I edit the png files [you know how to get at them and then re-compress the theme.... yes?]
Ok... pretend yes, ...so I put a 1-2 px border around the select png panels.... usually a red or yellow or orange... sometimes white is good
You have to pay mind to the special pink not mess with that...
A little experimentation and a bit of photoshop skills make it pretty easy to do, since in PS we can work with a separate layer and then save as png to combine them untill we have it 'just right'...

Hopi,

What theme is that? Is it a mod of the V4 Default? Looks cool! B)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
hopi

yes, it is a rather deep mod of a V4 theme.... I call it CIRCUS

Just put the latest version on the Reaper Stash:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2313/C...rt1.rarhttp://

and

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2314/C...%209.part2.rar

Last edited by hopi; 04-20-2019 at 09:07 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
+NRG

Looks cool, I’ll check it out! B)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

ooohhh awesome!!!! thank you
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
pipelineaudio
Mortal

How do I stick these together? They have the same file name
Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Hopi this theme is unreal!!!!

I really really dont like the colors in the arrange window, as I'm constantly doing more drum editing than anything else, and would like some more contrast, but whatever, this theme is awesome, and I think I can fix it up however I'd like
Old 04-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #17
hopi

Pipe..... you mean the two rar files? unless I uploaded wrong, there should be part 1 and part 2... you just put then in a folder and rt click on on one of them and tell winrar to extract...

If you don't like the colors as they are try changing the SWS custom color palette to more subdued ones...

If you want darker panels... I likely could make those and send them to you

...or explain with some image how you want it to look??

IF you are talking about the colors of the items in the arrange window, you can color those however ... ask me if that is what you mean...

Also... what I do is change the number of track templates allowed in the SWS ini... I have 20
then I make and save 20 trk templates that are matching in the TCP and MCP as to layuts with colors and vol sliders, each one set up as desired, like monitor on, input to midi, etc.
OK so I have all 16 colors, black and white and gray, and a couple for the separtors, all as track templates...
Then in screen sets and layouts, I have those saved as layouts...
Then I put short cuts to them in the menu for empty TCP... so I can just clk there and VERY fastly load up nice tracks as I want them

You may notice the toolbar icons are ...well lets just say, ...insane... hahaha [CIRCUS, ..right?]
It's a good idea ...if you want to use them, ...to unzip the theme to a folder where you can see the pngs and get a sense of their names so you can filter by names when trying to find an icon for a toolbar

Last edited by hopi; 04-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #18
+NRG

hopi,

I finally had a chance to check out your theme... Very cool! Nice work!

I like that it is comfortable and familiar, yet new and different. B)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
hopi,

I finally had a chance to check out your theme... Very cool! Nice work!

I like that it is comfortable and familiar, yet new and different. B)
Thanks for the kind words... glad you like it, ... just to say I did the mod back when dinosaurs still walked the WWW... but there have been ongoing tweaks... and I should mention Thanks to Cubic13 for his help some of the WALTER config code. Sadly there are bugs in WALTER that won't allow the use of the 'last folder' png that I originally made. It was a reverse of the 'first folder' png... oh well.... maybe someday they will fix that.