Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
mcurran
Human being with feelings

Default Latency When Monitoring Guitar While Recording

Hi All,

Went through a bunch of videos and searches and found all kinds of videos and solutions on latency but couldn't resolve my issue.

When I am trying to lay down a guitar track while playing back previous tracks I am getting a slight latency issue with my guitar in the monitor so I cannot play in time to the previously recorded track because of delay. If I hit a chord on guitar there is a delay from the time I strum the chord to the time I hear it back over speakers.

I've got the guitar plugged into a Focusrite Scarlett.

I have ASIO loaded as my drivers.

In AUDIO DEVICE SETTINGS I am using WaveOut, with Input Device as the Focusrite and Output device as the Speakers. I tried a bunch of variations in this settings box. If I set the Audio System as ASIO, then I can't hear anything.

I have the track armed with RECORD MONITORING button to ON. Input is MONO.
mcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Cranky Emu

I am guessing you have installed the Focusrite drivers.
ASIO or WaveOut, both should work.

Quote:
In AUDIO DEVICE SETTINGS I am using WaveOut
Probably why WaveOut is the only one that works, in the Windows Audio settings, set it to Focusrite USB

This should be your default playback device. Also have Focusrite USB selected as default device for recording.
Properties > Advanced to set the sample and bit rate.

In Reaper: Preferences > Audio > Device

In ASIO Config set the sample rate and buffer size to your liking. Mine is 48k / 1024

If you have a Solo or 2i2, and I think most other variants are the same, there will be a switch on the front, Direct Monitor on/off. You can try switching that, but the difference isn't that huge, there will still be a bit of latency, I think it is recommend you monitor in direct mode on when recording.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Edgemeal

For best results I set to ASIO and set input and output to my (behringer) interface and plug headphones into that. To record and listen over PC speakers (on windows) I set it to WASAPI(Exclusive mode), @ 256 samples and latency isn't too bad. WAVEOUT is horribly slow here.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
mcurran

Default Latency Problem

Yes, tried WASAPI I get nothing.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
mcurran

Default Latency - Continued

I tried switching to ASIO but as mentioned earlier when I do this I hear nothing from the speakers. It cuts all the output from Reaper.

I tried all the settings suggested on these post replies, maybe I missed something?

I've also tried attaching screen caps here but it doesn't upload them for some reason. I clicked 'MANAGE ATTACHMENTS and attach the files but they don't send, probably doing something wrong there, too!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
mcurran

Default also...

I'm assuming 'DIRECT MONITORING MODE' is the little speaker icon - I clicked that it doesn't make any difference.

If I monitor from the front of Focusrite Scarlett headphone jack I can't hear the Reaper tracks I am playing along to.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
sisaso

Strange!

Are your Speakers connected to the Focusrite Interface or to the internal Soundcard?
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
mcurran

The speakers are connected to the sound card, since I am in Reaper.

The only workaround I see if going through Focusrite headphone jack and have the tracks I am playing along with playing through the speakers and keep one headphone earphone off so I can hear the speakers while the other earphone is the guitar without latency.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
mcurran

Default https://ibb.co/g6c5t4v

https://ibb.co/g6c5t4v
Old 04-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurran View Post
I clicked 'MANAGE ATTACHMENTS and attach the files but they don't send, probably doing something wrong there, too!
More likely to be the file size limits and image size limits. Makes adding images a bit painful, the easiest way is to use ImgBB, upload them to there and copy the 'Full BB' link (you can select from different links there) and then just paste that into your message.

Quote:
The speakers are connected to the sound card, since I am in Reaper.
You said you had a Focusrite interface, the speakers are meant to be connected to it's outputs, not the computers sound card.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
Edgemeal

Quote:
Wish I could help, once you have the Audio device setup you shold at least get playback sound out of he interface, unless you changed the hardware outputs, muted the master track or something? All I can tell you is to check out Kenny's videos, like this one,

Using a Computer Audio Interface in REAPER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTZsMG2rqMc
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
mcurran

Yes, thank you for link but unfortunately that Kenny Goia video doesn't cover monitoring and latency issues. It appears to me that the audio interface is set up properly, but I am still not able to hear the live guitar without latency through the speakers along with the other already-recorded tracks.

Also, thanks for suggestion on posting pics.

Hopefully someone will spot what I may be doing wrong with the settings on the monitoring situation.

Here is the Windows sound setup, is this set right?
Attached Images
File Type: png latency setting 2-Windows.png (24.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
mcurran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
More likely to be the file size limits and image size limits. Makes adding images a bit painful, the easiest way is to use ImgBB, upload them to there and copy the 'Full BB' link (you can select from different links there) and then just paste that into your message.

You said you had a Focusrite interface, the speakers are meant to be connected to it's outputs, not the computers sound card.
It's seems like one should be able to monitor over the same output as the rest of the tracks when recording or practicing to tracks [on the computer] If I hook up speakers to the audio interface then the rest of the tracks would not come through those speakers, only the guitar I have plugged into the audio interface. How do most people do this?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #14
ashcat_lt

Quote:
If I hook up speakers to the audio interface then the rest of the tracks would not come through those speakers
Why not?

Quote:
How do most people do this?
By plugging the speakers into the interface.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
Edgemeal

Look in your audio interface manual on how to adjust the outputs and monitor the inputs, you probably have knobs turned wrong way/switch in wrong position LOL! Good luck!

We only use one interface, set up just like in the REAPER video, one device for both the input and output.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-14-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #16
Cranky Emu

I will guess you may have a Solo or a 2i2, as I still don't know which Scarlett you have.

I know you have been through this before, but...

Try this:
► Uninstall the USB drivers, download a new set of drivers from Focusrite and re-install them. If you are unable to do that, let me know I can upload the drivers to my cloud for you, they work for the Solo and 2i2.
► In Windows Playback Devices have the Focusrite USB as default and same for the Recording Devices.
► In playback devices, once the Focusrite is default, highlight it by clicking on it and click on Propeties, click the levels tab and ensure it is at 100%. Click the advanced tab and set it to the default sample and bit rate you want. 48k/24 bit will be the highest option (if on Win7).

► In recording devices, once the Focusrite is default, highlight it and click properties. Click the listen tab:

■ Uncheck listen to this device (if it is ticked)
■ Playback through this device - In the drop down box select Focusrite
■ Tick Do not prompt when plugged in

► Click the levels tab and ensure it is 100%
► Click the advanced tab and set the sample/bit rate, again 48/24 is the highest on Win7
Exclusive mode: Tick both boxes

► In Reaper set the preferences to the image I posted previously.
► Plug your speakers or amp & speakers (if using an amp) into the outputs of the Focusrite.
► Plug in your guitar, select the Inst position on the Line/Inst switch. Adjust the volume until the LED light ring around the volume control starts to go red and then back it off until green.
► On the Direct Monitor switch, select Direct.
► Turn up the volume control for the speakers or headphones.

I can hear audio both from a mic and a keyboard on mine, through either the speakers or headphones.
You may still get a little bit of latency, you are just going to have to live with that, not much you can do about it.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
mcurran

Default Problem solved

The answer for me was to take the above suggestion and to plug the speakers into the audio interface, which I assumed would not carry the Reaper signal but apparently it does so through the USB interface. thank you for pointing out 'Why not?' I thought about it and tried it and it worked. Thank you all for your repeated efforts to help a fellow Reaper get this set up. This is a really cool and supportive community.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #18
mcurran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Why not?

By plugging the speakers into the interface.
As simple as it sounds, it worked! No latency at all and I can record to previously recorded tracks live. Thanks Ashcat!