Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
shaelter
Human being with feelings

Default FX on each Routing Send

Would be great to have the possibility to add a FX on each send within the routing window (see attached image).
Thanks a lot,
shaelter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FX_on_each_send2.jpg (54.6 KB, 155 views)
shaelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Yea could be handy. For now I add the action "go to send destination track" to the sends extended mixer context menu. This way at least you can right click sends in the mixer and go directly to their track.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Gass n Klang

yes! ideally it also could be automated!
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
mschnell

Why not simply use additional channels in the target track ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
RCJacH

Related FR:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187308
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Why not simply use additional channels in the target track ?

-Michael
IMOP, it would be simpler and cleaner adding an fx to the send as is.

This would be a boon when routing multiple to the same ambience and you decide after everything is in place that one of the sources' sends needs a high pass, another a high boost but with de-esser to tame it, and both limited individually so their louder transients don't kick the reflections in too much. I tend to put fx on sends occasionally to be able to fine tune the FX on the aux more than what the plugin offers, and, for me, the simplest, with the least mouse clicks and clearest manner visually is the one I'd use.

It's not too bad giving the send its own track to do this, a little extra fiddling to route it out of the master so it's not adding more dry signal to the LR, but I think this idea of being able to have an FX browser right on the send is an excellent one. Everyones' mileage varying and all that.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
IMOP, it would be simpler and cleaner adding an fx to the send as is.
Requesting from the devs yet another solution and wait for it instead of using a solution already exists. IMHO not a very good idea.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-12-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Why not simply use additional channels in the target track.
Usually easier and more clear to use extra channels on the sending track, at least in this case. There are reasons you might want to put FX on say a submix of things being received on a track, and in that case you'd maybe use extra channels on that receiving track, but if you want to treat each sending track differently, it's a lot easier to do that on the sending tracks.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
shaelter

Default Yes of course we can reach the same result

Yes of course we can reach the same result in various ways.
But, would be more intuitive and straight forward on the sends.
I don't think it would be so complex to build as you can already add FXs on every track item independently from the track FX section. So; why not make our life easier and clear with this new feature.

Best regards;
shaelter
Old 04-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
shaelter

Default Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
I didn't notice that one: Thx a lot. Indeed the same request for even a more complex setup.
My need is a bit more basic: e.g. keep the original sound on the track while sending a filtered sound to the reverb; for sound design and atmosphere shaping.

I noticed that the highlighted post exists since 2016.

Hope it won't take 3 additional years to get such feature compared to a lot of new complex capabilities provided with each minor version release, with all respect for the great and qualitative work performed by the developers at that pace.

Sooo pleasseee Thx
shaelter
Old 04-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
mschnell

As there are hundreds of request for workflow modifications that to a limited group of user might be considered decent improvements, but the functionality of which is already available in some other way, I doubt that such will ever be accepted by the devs.

-Michael
Old 04-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
vdubreeze

Quote:
As there are hundreds of request for workflow modifications that to a limited group of user might be considered decent improvements, but the functionality of which is already available in some other way, I doubt that such will ever be accepted by the devs.

-Michael
I would disagree that this much simpler (and dare I say more elegant and less laborious to set up) function would be useful only to a limited group. I would say that there are more Reaper users who have never used adding channels to a track for this purpose because it was too complicated, when all they wanted to do was add fx to a send, than those who have mastered it and do use it for this. It's a good example of Reaper being able to do something in a far more powerful way than offered elsewhere but it's laid out in such a way that most users can't get past the first few steps (and when I say "most" I'm including users who don't sign onto forums as well as those who choose not to be on the net more than a few minutes a day, not just members of this forum). My opinion is that if Reaper wants to broaden its base Cockos should preach less to the choir and more to the others so to speak. A few nods to approaches to such functions in a more elegant (I hate to use that word but it's the only one coming to me) way than is presented by opening matrixes and being ready to roll 30 seconds later instead of the 5 in this example, regardless of the fact that there is redundancy, would be an improvement.

It's kind of like using a 40 foot crane to hang a picture. Yes, it can do it, and yes a crane is a powerful thing that can do a lot of other powerful things. But if it's just about hanging a picture, or simply putting an fx on a send, there's a big part of the population whose minds don't function in a compatible way with the full bore, open hood way. There's a reason why some people think this is a good idea instead of adding channels to the track.

Respectfully : )
Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
There's a reason why some people think this is a good idea instead of adding channels to the track.
I never doubted that. I just said that with similar significance

There's a reason why this,
There's a reason why that
There's a reason why such
There's a reason why yet
There's a reason why number 500

-Michael
Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #14
RCJacH

Well the point of FR is to inform the devs and other users of such possibility, and to persuade them with the benefits of making it native, else it would be a bug report wouldn't it?

The devs have the final say to allocate resources on which feature to actually spend time developing, and in the case of REAPER, imo, the priority is more determined by Justin's personal interests.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote