Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
musicguy123
Human being with feelings

Default Video playback is stutters upon play

Simple 30 second clip I'm making sounds for stutters heavily. Pressing play at any point during the clip always causes a 1-3 second hitch, in order to capture the timing of the video start I have to being playback midway through so it plays smoothly. Video is 4mb 1080p mp4 made specially for the this task.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the hitches? Do you guys simply use other tools to time your audio to video?

System: 6700k, 1070 gtx, 16gb ram, 64 bit reaper/vlc, entire system and project on SSD

Tried: VLC codec, FFMPEG codec, blank template with no plugins, different videos

Last edited by musicguy123; 04-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
musicguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy123 View Post
Simple 30 second clip I'm making sounds for stutters heavily. Pressing play at any point during the clip always causes a 1-3 second hitch, in order to capture the timing of the video start I have to being playback midway through so it plays smoothly. Video is 4mb 1080p mp4 made specially for the this task.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the hitches? Do you guys simply use other tools to time your audio to video?

System: 6700k, 1070 gtx, 16gb ram, 64 bit reaper/vlc

Tried: VLC codec, FFMPEG codec, blank template with no plugins, different videos
boy I feel your pain here. I have the same trouble. One thing I found. If I render the video out and re import it, it plays silky smooth. I know this is only a work around and not a fix. But if you can not find a fix, try my work around.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
musicguy123

I think we're both doing the same thing. I converted the video into a compressed 4MB MP4 file...it's tiny for 1080p but it still stutters. Seems Reaper never was suited for any kind of video editing. What other tools do you used for simple video editing with audio editing capabilities?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Jimmy James

Quote:
I think we're both doing the same thing. I converted the video into a compressed 4MB MP4 file...it's tiny for 1080p but it still stutters. Seems Reaper never was suited for any kind of video editing. What other tools do you used for simple video editing with audio editing capabilities?
None. I used Windows Movie Maker when I had Windows 7 and 8.1. Now I don't know what to use. I only need to do very simple things with video, when I do. I googled alternatives to Movie Maker for free.

I have found 2 programs. I have them installed but have not tried them yet. I am hoping one of them will serve me well.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...er-alternative

The link above seemed to help. They have Windows Photo on there. That is suppose to replace Movie Maker. But Windows Photo is awful for me.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
EpicSounds

have you set your reaper project to match the video file?

have you tried any of the video performance options?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
bcslaam

The smaller the video file for any given length the more it uses cpu and frame packing tricks.
You actually need to go the opposite way. A 30sec file as mjpeg, prores or dnxhd (dont use mp4 unless frame accuaracy and performance is not a concern) should be 200 to 600mb to run smooth.
Especially in these days of ssd, drive performance is much better at higher data rates.

Having said that a bigger file for video shouldnt be on the os drive or the project drive. Exception being if you are using an internal ssd.

You could also try mkv with mjpeg or something other than h264/265 inside. But dont compress it so much.
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
toleolu

By any chance, are you using a laptop with a single hard drive?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
musicguy123

I tried different file sizes (500mb - 5gb), different file types (mp4, mkv, etc), and they all stutter at the beginning. It's consistently universal. Everything is loading off a single modern SSD so it's not a hardware limitation.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
fakemaxwell

Those are all compressed formats. Compressed formats load slower than uncompressed. Use ProRes, DNxHD, MotionJPEG, etc.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
toleolu

Are the videos you're talking about video you shot, or video you downloaded?

If it's video you shot, try shooting a short clip at 1280X720 resolution or some lower resolution setting your camera can be set for, load that and see what you get.

If it's downloaded video, load it in Reaper then render it at 1280X720 then load that video and see how it works.

We're just trying to determine if your hardware may not have the horsepower to handle higher resolution video.

If the lower resolution still gives you problems, then we know you're probably OK hardware wise, and we can start looking at other things.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
have you set your reaper project to match the video file?

have you tried any of the video performance options?
I tried all the performance options, they did not help me. The Reaper project doesn't have many options to match the video file.

the only fix for me I have found, is to render the video out and bring it back in. Then it works no prob
Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I tried all the performance options, they did not help me. The Reaper project doesn't have many options to match the video file.
I've replied to your thread
Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
toleolu

Instead of trying to match Reaper to your camera settings, try matching your camera settings to Reaper.

You have to find a source video setting that works well with Reaper and your hardware. It will probably mean that you can't use the full blown hi res settings the camera is capable of, but since you're uploading these videos to You Tube all that really hi res video is going to get reformatted anyway.

Shoot some short clips with lower res camera settings and see what works best for your setup. Maybe start at 1280X720 or something comparable and work up from there.

GoPro website says 720P best for web video, and I seem to recall that's what You Tube uses as well.

Last edited by toleolu; 04-21-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
GoPro website says 720P best for web video, and I seem to recall that's what You Tube uses as well.
I edit my videos at 1440P and reaper is totally fine with it, YouTube as well.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #15
toleolu

Is it still 1440 P after YouTube gets done with it? If so, could you post a link to one of those videos? I don't think I've ever seen a 1440P video on YouTube, think it would be cool to see one.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #16
bcslaam

IMO although shooting at 720p will possibly help alleviate the issue, its not a solution.
Its always good practise to shoot/capture at the highest res possible so that processing is done in that realm. Even tho the end product is lower. Same as audio.

At least try some less compressed formats in reaper first. Have you tried prores or dnxhd?

Mp4/h264 also can add a frame of vision on to the beginning to compensate for stream buffering which can really mess with your sync when rendering out.

Mp4 is NOT a good production format, just like mp3 isnt. It'd be nice and convenient if it was because many of my clients are sending mp4s around. Including the post deliveries from the video editor. It uploads quick, the producer loves them and often pulls rank on it. Video guy then uses that as an excuse not to give you a separate prores or dnxhd. I have to really put my foot down to get prores.

Last edited by bcslaam; 04-21-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
toleolu

I agree, when talking about commercial video, but if you're just wanting to post a guitar lesson on You Tube, as is the case with JimmyJames, wouldn't you say that finding something that works is preferable to what may be considered optimal or best practices?

Simple solutions may not always be the best solutions, but if they get the job done, then why not give them a shot?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #18
bcslaam

Agreed
Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #19
musicguy123

Thanks for the help everybody, looks like you were right a fully uncompressed MKV container did not stutter. Does this mean that when trying to time audio to a video within Reaper, I MUST always use an uncompressed video file to be sure it syncs up properly without any hitches?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #20
Vasto

Hi there,

I'm trying to read a ProRes in Reaper (Win1064) but I can't achieve a smooth playback at all.
I've tried to set VLC to openGL for windows, Direct9 or D11, nothing can make Reaper work properly with ProRes
with both .mov and .mkv container.

I'd love to change video engine form VLC to MPC-H from the VIdeo/REX/Misc menù but I can't figure out how.

Any hint?

My system shouldn't be the problem since I'm on a i9-9900K with RTX2080, 32GB of RAM and SSD.

Last edited by Vasto; 04-24-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Vasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #21
Vasto

Quote:
Thanks for the help everybody, looks like you were right a fully uncompressed MKV container did not stutter. Does this mean that when trying to time audio to a video within Reaper, I MUST always use an uncompressed video file to be sure it syncs up properly without any hitches?
Did you just solved by converting your ProRes container from .mov to .mkv?
I've done the same but nothing changes in my case, still stuttering videos, even with FFMPEG shared build updated or VLC.
The only player that gives me a smooth playback is MPC-H but it seems impossible to use inside of Reaper.
Vasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #22
woogish

had an English butler named Stutters - didn't know he was a video playback on the side....
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
fakemaxwell

Quote:

Sure does. This is SOP for every video editing software. Any compressed file is only suitable for sending out small-filesize versions of the final project (mp3s, h.264, jpeg, etc). They are not ideal for working with.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote