Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default TASCAM US-16x08 / BIG Trouble

Any one here having this one working to the MAX on Windows 10 .
All's well on Hackintosh / Mac OS X High Sierra, no problems whatsover,but Windows ():

All kinds of glitching, Crackle, Pop and other such noise and totally useless (latency-) issues .

I'd like to record in my drum room with a PreSonus FIRESTUDIO project @ 96KHz, and would like to bring the recordings to my home and keep working with them at that same sample-rate using the TASCAM US-16x08 . But with the TASCAM it's really hard to work at that sample-rate . ():

Latest Windows 10 Update, Latest Driver / Settings Panel App 2.12 for the TASCAM and the latest firmware .

Sometimes it even freezes my entire system ... Mouse hangs, no response from keyboard ... can't even get to Task Manager . Only way to get out of this is to turn the unit off or / and unplug the USB-Cable .

I have even gone back to Windows 7 SP1 for some users stated they had it working there .
Tried that, no difference to me . So now I'm back on Windows 10 latest updates, still trying to get into grips with it .

My "local" distributor say I should send the unit in for service, but I don't think that would make any difference ; since the unit is working as it should in Mac OS X .
So it's rather more like a Windows-issue !!!

Please HELP ASAP,
- BOne -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
TheMaartian

I feel your pain. My 16x08 was a mess after the Win10 1809 update last October. It got to the point where Windows refused to treat it as an ASIO device.

Quote/unquote "uninstalling" and reinstalling the Tascam driver didn't help. The original installation instructions are quite explicit about installing the driver BEFORE connecting the 16x08 to a USB port. And once connected to a specific USB port, to never connect it to a different port.

I wound up pulling my old PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL out of the closet, installing the new, non-VSL driver (the VSL driver failed completely after updating to Win10 a few years ago). That's working fine, so I was waiting for some news (good or bad) re the way-overdue 16x08 driver update for 1809.

After reading your post, I'm gonna wait some more. Sorry I can't help.
TheMaartian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:35 AM   #3
Seta

US-16x08 new 3.0 driver crash reaper 5.974, 5.973...
Windows 7

Anybody else having the same trouble?

Update...Reaper portable works like a charme

Last edited by Seta; 04-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Seta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
HoJo

Hi All.

We are using it without issues on OSX 10.13.
On Win we were facing issues as well.
Sorry to say that.

Unsure if it helps.

BR,
HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
suchatravesty

I am on Win7 64 bit still running settings panel 2.11 with no issues as long as I use the Tascam driver. If I try to use ASIO4ALL with a normal install it blue screens almost immediately. If I accidentally use ASIO4ALL with a portable install it still blue screens but not immediately. The Tascam has worked for me generally speaking as long as i use 2048 samples but I'm not very impressed with the settings panel, latency, etc..... I'm not running a great machine though, just a laptop.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #6
M.R.Ellis

After updating to 3.0, I had Reaper (latest version) shutting down the instant I tried to arm a track or play.

I had been using 2.10, with the latest firmware.

Finally (kinda) solved the problem by uninstalling 3.0 completely via Add or Remove Programs, and the drivers for US 16x8 AND US 16x8 MIDI using Device Manager, and then installing 2.12, which is still available on the Tascam website.

3.0 is unusable at the moment, but you CAN go back to something that works.

Hope that helps.
M.R.Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Seta

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Ellis View Post

3.0 is unusable at the moment, but you CAN go back to something that works.

Hope that helps.

What's weird is that the new 3.0 drivers work with Reaper Portable.

And work find with StudioOne4

Last edited by Seta; 04-10-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Seta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
suchatravesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchatravesty View Post
I am on Win7 64 bit still running settings panel 2.11 with no issues as long as I use the Tascam driver. If I try to use ASIO4ALL with a normal install it blue screens almost immediately. If I accidentally use ASIO4ALL with a portable install it still blue screens but not immediately. The Tascam has worked for me generally speaking as long as i use 2048 samples but I'm not very impressed with the settings panel, latency, etc..... I'm not running a great machine though, just a laptop.

I recently realized the unit was causing my cpu to hover at about 50% even without any programs running. I believe this may have been happening the whole time I've owned it and I just didn't realize it.

Anyways I recently updated to the 3.00 and then 3.01 version of the Tascam software and the issue has gone away.

I am also able to use ASIO4ALL for now without any blue screening. I'm not sure if it's due to the new Tascam software or if it's because I changed RAM recently to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB.

I feel much better about the unit now, (which is not saying much). My machine is still not beefy enough to run it with the buffer at 64 samples without some clicks and pops.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
drumphil

Why are you using ASIO4ALL?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
suchatravesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Why are you using ASIO4ALL?
I run a portable install and that's the driver I use when I am away from the interface. It does seem to work better than the tascam driver but I have only tested briefly.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
lolilol1975

This sounds very much like the Tascam driver was buggy/terribly written.
When the device can only work on a given USB port, it probably means that it doesn't follow the USB standard, it's half baked. Then comes an update to the USB management by Windows, and suddenly, your device driver hangs or crashes.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
TheMaartian

Even though it seems like they're still updating the driver (although way late, and more than a few dollars short), I'll never hook my 16x08 back up to Windows. I'm now using it as the interface for the Audio Evolution Mobile DAW on my Samsung S7 Edge. Works great!

I had to pull my old PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL out of the closet. Works fine with the new drivers, but no VSL support.

And no hardware 'thump' protection. Lame.

Still, I didn't have to buy yet another audio i/f.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
BobF

I replaced my 16x08 with a Behringer 1820.

The 16x08 is fawesome ... when it works. It's been off/on since day one. Works great long enough for me to trust it only to get flakey.

It has been reduced to standalone pre duty.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post

The 16x08 is fawesome ... when it works. It's been off/on since day one. Works great long enough for me to trust it only to get flakey.

That standalone 'pre' duty capability is one of the things that led me to buy it in the first place. If I ever had an issue (did not expect so many), I could use the mic pres in default (no USB) mode.

But it does work really well as a class compliant audio device.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #15
suchatravesty

Quote:

I really wanted to try the Behringer since it was the same price point, but I was still having a hard time getting over their old reputation. I know they make some good stuff now but I remember when Behringer first became popular I heard tons of stories about their stuff being cheap crap.

I think I may eventually switch to a Behringer and slave the Tascam as well. It sucks that when I buy a piece of gear I'm kind of stuck with it since it's too expensive to buy something just to try it.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
TheMaartian

Quote:
I really wanted to try the Behringer since it was the same price point, but I was still having a hard time getting over their old reputation. I know they make some good stuff now but I remember when Behringer first became popular I heard tons of stories about their stuff being cheap crap.

I think I may eventually switch to a Behringer and slave the Tascam as well. It sucks that when I buy a piece of gear I'm kind of stuck with it since it's too expensive to buy something just to try it.
Reminds me of the (misremembered) line from Indiana Jones...

Snakes. I hates snakes. You go first!
Old 06-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
BobF

Quote:

When it worked correctly, I loved the 16x08. If you're not having problems, why switch?
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #18
suchatravesty

Quote:
When it worked correctly, I loved the 16x08. If you're not having problems, why switch?

Well I am having problems now. I bought a decent laptop with good specs but it's running Windows 10.
Initially I was able to run the tascam 3.01 0055 down at 64 samples with low cpu usage and no issues.

I changed my normal audio driver though so I could have stereo mix for recording samples from the internet and the tascam has done nothing but misbehave since.
Pops and cracks and tons of hanging up the entire machine. I rolled the computer audio driver back to the way it was but the tascam is still goobered up.

Hopefully I can get things back to normal again but damn, what a waste of time.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #19
serr

If the choice is between rolling back your OS a revision vs having to buy new hardware... Not even a choice right? Roll back to the OS revision that is supported.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #20
suchatravesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If the choice is between rolling back your OS a revision vs having to buy new hardware... Not even a choice right? Roll back to the OS revision that is supported.
It's not out of the question just a pain. I'm not sure that you can install windows 7 with a win 10 digital license.
I may have to dig out the old 2 core laptop with win 7 just to finish tracking. \:

I'm not buying anything anytime soon it's just that when I upgrade it will be nice to use the Tascam's preamps to utilize more channels on the Behringer.