Old 04-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
James HE
Human being with feelings

Default A trick with schwa's midi humanizer

Since you can automate the baseline velocity level with this plug in, you are effectivly able to "play" the velocity levels of what ever you are controlling by writing the automation with a controller or the mouse. You can leave the humanization level at zero or any number if you want further humanization.

I just thought of this and I was able to "ride" the fader to automate the velocity level of a ride pattern. heh. Got the accents exactly where I wanted without fiddling with the mouse forever.

I suppose you could do something similar with the bias timing humanization level.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

I'm sure midi humanizing will eventually be a Reaper feature but in the meantime it's cool to hear somebody is getting use out of the humanizer! I actually started writing it as a cheap way to automate midi velocity (which is why the baseline velocity slider says "(automate!)", again just in the meantime because that is even more likely to be a built in Reaper feature eventually too.

It's here by the way. There's a readme in the zip that explains how the humanizer works.

Now that you can render midi (as of a few dozen Reaper versions ago), you can freeze the humanized output for further twiddling if you want to -- I always do, because there's always some things you want to accent even in a humanized performance. For a jingle I did I humanized a drum part to the point where it sounded like a kid playing, and automated the baseline so it sounded like the kid was getting really excited in the loud parts. When they heard it for the first time she thought it was really my kids playing the drums...
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
teej813

I'm anxious to give this a try, schwa. I just bought a set of TD10 VDrums. Got them home, set up, connected, and tested. Still need to tweak sensitivity settings to match my playing style. When that's done, i'll be able to lay some tracks and start experimenting.

Your efforts to help the community are appreciated, bud.

tj
Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

So your problem is that you're such a good drummer that you need to use a plug-in to slop it up after you record? That's a new one...
Old 04-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
For a jingle I did I humanized a drum part to the point where it sounded like a kid playing, and automated the baseline so it sounded like the kid was getting really excited in the loud parts. When they heard it for the first time she thought it was really my kids playing the drums...
An intriguing text, schwa!:

who is she?
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

She is they, obviously. Or don't she teach they that in France?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
alex zonder

Quote:
She is they, obviously. Or don't she teach they that in France?
I never went to school in France, but I suppose they don't.
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej813 View Post
I just bought a set of TD10 VDrums.
Unfortunately, there's no smily for 'Jealous'.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #9
teej813

IX,
haha.. well, we'll have to wait and see just how well this whole set > midi > soundfont thing works, bud. if the results aren't that great, there'll be zero reason to be jealous!

Quote:
So your problem is that you're such a good drummer that you need to use a plug-in to slop it up after you record? That's a new one...
uhhh... no.

i'm going to assume you've forgotten that James' reason for starting this thread is to point out the plugin's ability to adjust velocity. since the nskit soundfont seems to work best at the higher end of the velocity range, i thought your plug may come in handy.

maybe not.

i'm quite human, and very susceptible to timing errors. i certainly don't need a plugin to slop up my playing.

tj

Last edited by teej813; 04-28-2007 at 04:42 AM.
teej813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

I was just kidding ... I am happy if anyone finds it useful for any reason.