Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Lemon999
Human being with feelings

Default Possible New Reaper User some Basic Questions?

Hey There
I'm currently a Cubase user and because of upgrade costs I'm considering other DAW's but I have some basic questions before I make the jump.
I'm quite a low key user and basically I create backing tracks from MIDI files for my covers band in my commuting time.

1. In Cubase if I load up a MIDI file, Cubase will then look at each MIDI track (Instrument) and then sort out a best match from it's stock
sounds, although I very rarely use these sounds it is really handy to have even if it's just seperating out to see what instrument each track is.
Does Reaper do this ie does it have any stock sounds?

2. In Cubase I run Reason 4 through ReWire I know Reaper has Rewire but I just wanted to double check that I can do this.

3. On my train journey to work I just used the headphone out socket on my Macbook Pro not ideal I know but as the Macbook Pro has bitten then dust
I will be using my works PC laptop to do this can I just get sound out of the headphone socket or do I need a soundcard, as it's my commute
time the sounds will come from VST, Reason or any Reaper stock sounds (not hardware) obviously.

If there are any other points I need to be aware of please flag up.

Thanks again for your help and apologise if the questions are really noddy as I said I'm quite a basic user.

If I think of anything else I will flag up....
Lemon999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Lemon999

Sorry think I posted in wrong Forum:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...913#post699913
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Sibben

Welcome.

1. No. REAPER does not supply any instruments really. It has a great many effects bundled with it but no instruments. REAPER is the anti-thesis of bloated software packages. You pick your own, either from the large pool of excellent freeware or paid instruments.

2. I've rewired Reason 5 with no problems. Both MIDI and audio in separated tracks.

3. It should work. A dedicated sound card will of course allow you to have heavier projects with more plugs running but REAPER is extremely efficient as is so you should not have a problem, really. But YMMV.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Lemon999

Thanks Sibben