Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
chronowarp
Human being with feelings

Default Playback problems

I've been using Reaper for a while, and just started having this problem today. My computer doesn't have a lot of RAM to begin with, but Reaper has always been great, and I've never had any choking with a bunch of FX on playback, but all of a sudden, even with almost no FX on, that playback will stutter and continously make a clicking noise. It's the weirdest sound too, because it's like it's in time with the music and is clicking with it, but it's really annoying and sounds like it's choking up without actually stopping or pausing.

I don't think I changed any settings in the preferences, and I've tried it with all my other Apps closed, and all my available RAM, but it's still doing it. I tried restarting the computer, closing Reaper, reopening the project - but it's still happening.

Can anyone give me some insight about this? Are there settings I can choose that will make things run smoothly again?

Last edited by chronowarp; 02-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
richie43

What are your computer and hardware specs? How old is your computer? Hard drive? That happened to me when my former daw was just beginning to show signs of wearing out. Do you use an interface? Have you updated drivers? Does this computer also surf the net? What is your os? There are hardly ever answers for these issues that are cross-platform and for all situations. The more details that you post the more possible solutions you will get. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
What are your computer and hardware specs? How old is your computer? Hard drive? That happened to me when my former daw was just beginning to show signs of wearing out. Do you use an interface? Have you updated drivers? Does this computer also surf the net? What is your os? There are hardly ever answers for these issues that are cross-platform and for all situations. The more details that you post the more possible solutions you will get. Good luck.
Running Windows 7 64 bit, I'm just using headphones through a DAC right now for playback.

Computer isn't too old, but it's definitely not optimized for high stress stuff, but I've never had a problem before.

DuoCore processor 1.86/1.87 ghz
2 gigs of ram

I seriously suspect I just hit some button that screwed everything up, and I can't figure out how to fix it. I've never had Reaper choke up on me.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
richie43

Check your multiprocessor settings in preferences. Also, are you using any asio drivers? Check tor buffer settings, maybe you set them too low. When in doubt, you can reset reaper to default settings but you'll lose any of your own. Have you added any new plugins? Is this a laptop? Maybe a slow hard drive?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
richie43

I also had this happen and needed to reinstall my audio driver. Try Asio4all. Or better yet, get a cheap but usable asio interface. It makes a huge difference.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
chronowarp

I just reinstalled Reaper, and it's magically fixed. What the hell? Maybe it did just need the default settings, either way, that's really weird, but I got it going.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
richie43

Sweet. Don't ya just love the Reaper? The few times it doesn't work right, it's usually a quick fix. Awesome. Have fun.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:46 AM   #8
lanceaustin

How does a DAW "wear out"?
lanceaustin is offline   Reply With Quote