Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #41
The Telenator
Banned

Used in MINE.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #42
shaidie
Human being with feelings

Mike, I haven't looked into it, but I heard a rumor a while back that REAPER was use for making either Guitar Hero or Rock Band (one of those lol) if that answers your question (much more simply than some of the others did).
shaidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
What? They used my tempo features from SWS? That's nice to hear

Nope, this gem is from before your (excellent) tempo manipulation features Breeder, sorry!

This was adding a tempo map to already recorded material, when the dataset was found to be incomplete and the orchestra was sat in the studio, twiddling their thumbs.

They couldn't do what the wanted in PT, but could in REAPER. Saved them over £40k. I'm sure it would have been even easier with your extension actions though

>
Old 02-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #44
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaidie View Post
Mike, I haven't looked into it, but I heard a rumor a while back that REAPER was use for making either Guitar Hero or Rock Band (one of those lol) if that answers your question (much more simply than some of the others did).
That was actually Rock Band, I was at a presentation by the makers of Rock Band a couple of years ago (hosted by Pyramind Studios in SF), during a previous Game Developers Conference or Game Sound Conference, one of those. For those of you who don't know, Rock Band is a game where you can "play" your favorite rock songs on toy instruments and sing along too, and then you are rewarded points for how well in sync you "perform". I've actually played this game, it has little if anything to do with real playing, though it is a helluva lot of fun.

But anyways ... one of the features of the game is that you can create you own characters and 'program' them to play to your favorite rock songs. They use some kind of scripting to achieve this, using Reaper. Don't prod me for details, I am writing this from memory.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #45
dtrud0h

Default Wow,

Great thread....("Again!" ... to satisfy "How many Times..."), Loads of interesting tidbits here for those who are not "In the loop".
dtrud0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #46
Sam C

I believe the obvious reason Reaper is probably not used in many if any pro studios and possibly no broadcasting companies is it is so far behind the time frame. PT was first and possibly for that reason alone it is entrenched in the industry. Tour your local television station and look how many copies of PT they own. Go to high end studios in Nashville and in most cases it's the same thing, PT is there.

And don't discount all of those yeas of a head start...it means PT does some things very well. By responding to the needs of their large client base, almost all pros early on, they got damn good at many things.

Today there are at least a dozen DAW's that without a doubt can get a professional result, and I think Reaper is one. But PT will not lose its position soon. There is just too many dollars invested in it around the globe at a variety of professional houses.

Lastly, for hobbyist like me, we are as lucky as lucky can be to have the opportunity to own studios, top end processing (plug ins) and more for such a small investment. Look what you get from reaper for $60, it's mind boggling.

MHO
Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #47
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Quote:

CAN REAPER DO EVERYTHING PRO TOOLS CAN DO AND WORK WITH EVERYTHING THAT PRO TOOLS IS CURRENTLY WORKING COHESSIVELY WITH? etc...theres quite a lot to think about....

OK...What is EVERYTHING Pro Tools does that Reaper doesn't??
Mike,

Maybe this will help: http://www.protoolerblog.com/2012/07...y-kenny-gioia/
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #48
HugoRibeiroDotCom

and another: http://reaperblog.net/2015/02/reaper...for-far-cry-4/
Old 02-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #49
airon

Thanks for link. Good reads.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #50
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Thanks for link. Good reads.
+1
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #51
HugoRibeiroDotCom

You're welcome guys!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #52
Reno.thestraws

Their voices are made with reaper and reaplugs (in french version)
Old 02-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #53
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post

Their voices are made with reaper and reaplugs (in french version)
Man, they crack me up! And I've only seen the commercials!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:46 AM   #54
mollvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
...For example, can you imagine a studio engineer copying automation envelopes one at a time?
Yes I can! :-)
mollvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #55
ddubia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiroDotCom View Post
I just read that blog. Every Reaper user should read this article and even more can be gained from the comments below it.
ddubia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #56
bladerunner

I use it! But I ain't no major studio lol
Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #57
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
Where did you get those numbers from? very interesting information.
Thin air haha
Anybody who quotes figures like that has a crystal ball, and invariably it is working wrong.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #58
keyman_sam

No need to, don't have to, and don't expect them to.

Reaper is for US. For us nerds, us hobbyists and semi-pros, and for us tinkerers. Major studios are comfortable with what they got. They aren't going to throw away their shiny new SSL just for some new kid on the block for WHAT reason? Pro Tools can probably do everything Reaper can, and if it doesn't who cares?
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:29 AM   #59
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
I believe the obvious reason Reaper is probably not used in many if any pro studios and possibly no broadcasting companies is it is so far behind the time frame.
If you bother to read this thread, you will see that neither statement is true and the idea that SW is doomed to fail if it is launched later, does not stand up to any scrutiny (think of Page-Maker, Quark Xpress and InDesign!)

The future of music software is video and film. Recorded music all by itself is today almost totally worthless.

BUT

The film industry is hollowing out in the middle. Big budget films (i.e. North of $100m production costs) will continue to be made. Micro-budget films (South of $1m) are expanding in number and popularity. But the middle ground is failing. The old bread-and-butter business of making a film for $10m to $20m is failing. The people who used to make mid-market films are piling into TV drama series and hoping for that all-important Netflix deal.

Remember that film (inc. big budget films) earn three-quarters of their revenue from DVD/BlueRay sales.

If you are making a film, TV series, or concert video or any other product for the Netflix/DVD/BlueRay market, you need an integrated AV package. Until now, THAT was the domain of Avid, as PT and MC could open one-another's project folders, but that was it. PT has no meaningful video tools and MC has no deeper audio tools - Avid wants you to buy both!

But if you are making a film for under $1m, hiring a video post suite with MC and PT is expensive and you certainly do not have the budget to buy such toys!

Enter Reaper 5.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #60
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Recorded music all by itself is today almost totally worthless.
Sad but alas I believe this is now true. Listeners must be dazzled or at least half-dazed by some visual filler to keep their attention, even for 3 minutes.

In fact, a whole lot of them don't even listen to the tune with any focus; the music is just filler too, stuffed in between their other instant gratification pleasure-seeking activities.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #61
Magicbuss

Quote:
If you bother to read this thread, you will see that neither statement is true and the idea that SW is doomed to fail if it is launched later, does not stand up to any scrutiny (think of Page-Maker, Quark Xpress and InDesign!)

The future of music software is video and film. Recorded music all by itself is today almost totally worthless.

BUT

The film industry is hollowing out in the middle. Big budget films (i.e. North of $100m production costs) will continue to be made. Micro-budget films (South of $1m) are expanding in number and popularity. But the middle ground is failing. The old bread-and-butter business of making a film for $10m to $20m is failing. The people who used to make mid-market films are piling into TV drama series and hoping for that all-important Netflix deal.

Remember that film (inc. big budget films) earn three-quarters of their revenue from DVD/BlueRay sales.

If you are making a film, TV series, or concert video or any other product for the Netflix/DVD/BlueRay market, you need an integrated AV package. Until now, THAT was the domain of Avid, as PT and MC could open one-another's project folders, but that was it. PT has no meaningful video tools and MC has no deeper audio tools - Avid wants you to buy both!

But if you are making a film for under $1m, hiring a video post suite with MC and PT is expensive and you certainly do not have the budget to buy such toys!

Enter Reaper 5.
Now I see why R5 has so many video features. Looks like they're trying to capture this niche market.

I listen to Bobby Osinski's audio blog and he regularly has audio post guys (film and TV) on. Big budget Hollywood is PT only for post and has been forever. Noone will touch that market for the foreseeable future. But Indie movies and TV may be up for grabs.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #62
urednik

In my part of the world pro's do not use Reaper mainly because it is not compatible with others. So they would do it in Protools (cinema, voice) or Cubase (bands, etc).

For live work I've even heard that some use it, yes.

It is not only about the price, features, learning curve, tradition, but rather compatibility (although this in the end is not so important in praxis (except of cinema).
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 AM   #63
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
In my part of the world pro's do not use Reaper mainly because it is not compatible with others. So they would do it in Protools (cinema, voice) or Cubase (bands, etc).

For live work I've even heard that some use it, yes.

It is not only about the price, features, learning curve, tradition, but rather compatibility (although this in the end is not so important in praxis (except of cinema).
I entered this whole TV/film/music business back in 1967, so I've been around the block a few times and I have seen standards come and standards go. I have heard the old chestnut of 'compatibility' more than just once! We had it with 1" video tape, 35mm film, DASH recorders, 2"-24-track reel-2-reel, ADAT, 16mm news footage, DV-tape, DAT, 1/4" tape, cassettes, you name 'em and we had the spiel each and every time.

And guess what! Each and every one of these standards (that we all had to adhere to in order to be compatible!) now carry the mark of the dodo! They're gone!

I've had little Japanese men shout at me so loudly, that I swear they were levitating. In that case, they were shouting that DASH recorders were now 'standard' - yer, right!

I've even had major figures in broadcasting at CEO level go red in the face over some idiotic 'standard' that I dared to criticise and say were about to be replaced. So who uses Digi-Beta now? Nobody!

Beta SP anyone? No? Well that didn't last very long!

And now, you are telling me that it HAS to be an OMF and/or a PTX file, otherwise I am not compatible with anybody or anything? (Forgetting that one can convert anything into anything else!)

That also forgets that the most popular brand of pro and semi-pro video cameras now all come with a free version of Vegas, which will probably prove to be a perfect fit for Reaper-5, when it comes to A-for-V.

So let me give you the true 'standard'! The real thing! Yes, there is a real standard and if you adhere to that standard, you'll be alright. It's the standard that most people forget and many would rather just go away. But it is the ONLY true standard and the one that you must never forget. If you forget this standard, you are doomed to fail at everything you do!

It's called - change!

We all got happy with hi-def TV. Wow! At last a standard that looks as if it might last more than just ten years. It hit the market about ten years ago and we all breathed a sigh of relief! The pictures were so good, that we were pretty certain that we could afford to kit-up all our old SD switchers, routers, cameras, monitors and graphics to the 'new standard'.

Ha! Ha!

Just ten years later, the big noise is all about 4K. Forget HD - that's yesterday's news. Even if you drop down to HD, material that was acquired in 4K or UHD-TV just looks FAR better!

And in ten years from now? 8K? 16K? Free definition and aspect? 3D without stupid glasses and across the living room wall?

Whatever it is, plan for it NOW, so that you can pay for it tomorrow.

Last edited by The Byre; 02-28-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #64
martifingers

All true. Although the quality issue is interesting - no matter how good the origination and post is not everyone (or even the majority) will listen/ watch on optimal equipment or in ideal conditions. I am not sure what to make of this as I suppose professionally you have to have the best available even if it's overkill. My nephew runs a successful video production company and he even wonders if most clients can tell the difference between SD and HD in most cases.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #65
urednik

Quote:
And in ten years from now? 8K? 16K? Free definition and aspect? 3D without stupid glasses and across the living room wall?

Whatever it is, plan for it NOW, so that you can pay for it tomorrow.
Guess what - it is a fact and we have to deal with it (only few use Reaper).
Though can not get it if a cineplex customer needs a protools session for a surround movie how in the world would I make it if I was not having the software???

Thinking before posting is always a good idea.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 AM   #66
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
Guess what - it is a fact and we have to deal with it (only few use Reaper).
Though can not get it if a cineplex customer needs a protools session for a surround movie how in the world would I make it if I was not having the software???

Thinking before posting is always a good idea.
Quite agree - thinking before posting is always a good idea. Cineplex is one of many larger chains of movies houses and would want a DCI standard file via satellite. They would no more know what to do with a PT folder, than you would know how to drive a pile of parts that go to make up a car.

You are missing the point entirely - how do you think people who use Nuendo for ADR manage? Guess! Yes, if the person at the other end wants a PT folder you CONVERT it to OMF, PTX or indeed anything else he may want!

Most of the time, we just send WAV and/or AVI files anyway.

You don't need Media Composer in order to watch television. You don't need ProTools or any other DAW, in order to hear Nicki Minage telling us that her pet snake don't want none, if you ain't got buns, hun!

I go to a particular guy to get my cars fixed and serviced. I have no idea what sort of tools he uses. We are told that Snap-on is 'the standard' in the US and Canada, but I neither know, nor do I care which tools he uses. He can use the cheapest and nastiest tools from a local equivalent of a five-and-dime store, or the very best 'Blue' series from Bosch and it would not make the slightest difference to me.

I am guessing that you are quite young and therefore you have not gone through the same processes that somebody older will have gone through. I have seen eight, yes eight audio 'standards' come and go. As for film, we have had just one for mainstream movies - 35mm, but it too has now left us almost completely. Spielberg is the only big player (as far as I know!)that still uses celluloid.

And film can have any one of twelve different aspect ratios.

I have been in the media content creation business for a very long time and in all that time, we have had to cope with a shifting playing field. Print, sound and vision have gone from one technology to another at breath-taking speed. When I was a kid, there was no FM radio and most movie houses did not have stereo. Tape recording was in its infancy and most higher quality recordings therefore had to be done direct to disc. Print was all type-set.

Nothing has changed quite as much or as fast as the recording of sound. It has gone through eight generations of acquisition technology and through three or four generations of delivery technology in my lifetime and will continue to change just as rapidly.

You commit yourself to one technology at your peril! I have seen all sorts of people stamp and pout and Japanese men shout, when anybody even suggested that DASH recorders were not here to stay! That did nothing to stop DASH recorders being replaced by Radar and ProTools.

ProTools is still very much with us, but the only area it still dominates is post for film and video and that is an area that historically, has always been the most eager to take on new technology and new ideas.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #67
Thalamus

So, yes then.
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #68
beingmf

Interesting: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug1...ro-emerald.htm
Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #69
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope
Unless it doesn't do what you require. What's an A-list mixer or engineer going to use to mix on with Reaper? A mouse?

Or a ....

Actually the plugin I wrote for Reaper should work just fine with an S6, wanna' send me one so that I can verify ?

I promise to send it back real soon...
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #70
airon

That would be interesting. I wonder how the features translate to Reaper. Hopefully not too many are Protools-baked.

As for standards, we're adapting to standards all the time, and they're used for as long as required.

Right now, as AATranslator 6.0 is shipping, conversions are becoming less of a problem and it's more about workflow testing.

But then it's always been about workflow testing and figuring out how to do deliverables, and assembling dialogue edits from recorder tracks in less time than two years ago. You stay competitive by changing as much as you need to.

Last edited by airon; 03-09-2015 at 10:50 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote