Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #81
The Telenator
Banned

As far as the 'builder' is concerned, I'm unsure when I first caught wind of it but not long ago. The amp I've known for a long time, as well as the brand.

That's a good question. I think most knowledgable guitarists consider their amp part of their instrument. Whether they do or not, though, does not change the fact that it is. I don't have to mimic the playing of other guitarists or their sounds anymore. I have all the control in my amps I ever really needed, and that was before I bought modeling hardware and more recently amp sims.

My question to you would be: Okay, you suggest a million options is a good thing? Then tell me what was missing in the sounds of the world's greatest players who came before us. They had little more than that bass knob you mention, yet much of than music still sounds 10 times better than the digital glut of garbage circulating now. If you can find all this 'stuff' missing from their playing you prove you case. Otherwise, you are just creating a need that perhaps wasn't there before. So, I'll give you high marks for marketing, because at bottom level that's really what's going on here -- good marketing.

Naturally, this thread has been gaga fanboi from the get go, so I certainly don't expect to change any opinions here. In fact, I'd rather not. You see, the more players who tie up their brains with all of these suddenly 'must have' innovations, and the hours of fiddling about that comes with it, the more opportunities there are for those of us who learned long ago that a great guitarist only needs three, maybe four good sounds.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #82
aJon
Human being with feelings

Speaking from a keyboardist's perspective (who dabbles with guitars), you work through for yourself what's the right balance between tweaking/customizing and picking your top handful of 'bread and butter' sounds.

Either pathway can be liberating, or equally can be confounding - just depends on if the muso has their goals well defined. It's too sweeping a thing to suggest it as one way or the other.
aJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #83
JohnnyMcFly

What a bunch of crap..
You are going to try and tell me that the greats, if they were given the opportunities that we have now they would have said, "No I want to play like they did in the 40's, they didn't need an electric guitar. I will only play an an acoustic and nothing more."

-John Lennon would not have named the Flanger, if he was Telenator he would have said "Did they have that in the 30's, No?, then I don't want to hear that noise, get rid of it and bring me my acoustic!".

-Brian May and the Dallas Range Master, "Don't give me any of that new fangled junk, all I need is what they had in the 40's, an acoustic is good enough, why would I want to create my own signature sound"

-Jimi Hendrix with an Acoustic, No distorted Marshall, no whammy bar.. yeah ok.. He would have been huge!(well he might have been, but you get the idea)

That is just a few points to show how idiotic and ridiculous your argument is...
These guys like all greats in their field, innovate, and in order to innovate one must embrace new things.

From this point forward I will not answer any of your queries again Telenator. I'm not here to debate your silly ideas. I'm here for support.. If no one needs support or has any questions then I need to take some time off, not sit here and debate sillyness with the likes of this guy...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #84
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aJon View Post
Speaking from a keyboardist's perspective (who dabbles with guitars), you work through for yourself what's the right balance between tweaking/customizing and picking your top handful of 'bread and butter' sounds.

Either pathway can be liberating, or equally can be confounding - just depends on if the muso has their goals well defined. It's too sweeping a thing to suggest it as one way or the other.
Agreed
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #85
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
I completely agree..

Is anyone else getting a 'Reaper.exe - No Disk' when adding in Headcase suite 1.54 (not demo) to a track?

The message that pops up says..
'There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk2\dr13'

I've tried to un-install and re-install the software, and I still get it. All other plugins work fine. I have the option on the message to 'Cancel', 'Try Again', or 'Continue'. I've tried them all and it loads up Headcase fine, but not sure why I'm getting this message...

In the early builds I would get this error if I had used an SD or USB card lately, very odd
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #86
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
In the early builds I would get this error if I had used an SD or USB card lately, very odd
Yeah its weird that its back, but Amit reported this to me the other day as well so we know something is going on and it cannot be ruled as just being one system.

Silar, when excactly does this happen?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #87
silar

It happens when I add Headcase to a track. It's when it's initially added to the track. Once it's added, I click any of the buttons on the error, I don't see it again, and everything works fine with it after that. It's only when initially adding the VST effect.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #88
S1770

Removed

Virtual Amp Stash No Longer Supports This Company

Last edited by S1770; 01-26-2013 at 11:31 PM.
S1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #89
JohnnyMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
It happens when I add Headcase to a track. It's when it's initially added to the track. Once it's added, I click any of the buttons on the error, I don't see it again, and everything works fine with it after that. It's only when initially adding the VST effect.
OK well, I am going to be working on iFace and iFace QUAD today, However, if I can I'll try and compile a fix for this so we can test it.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #90
JHughes
Banned

Keep the sounds and options coming Ken. The options help those of us who mix, not just those who play live using two sounds.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #91
The Telenator
Banned

Gee, Johnny, don't let your zeal to market this latest line of busyware make you blow an artery in your neck or something. Was this thread set up just for fanboi gushing or is anyone else allowed to have an opinion? Are you one of those forum members who throw tantrums whenever someone disagrees with you? You can stomp your feet and pitch a fit if you want -- it's okay, but it leads me to believe even more there's something to what I said. They are called "opinions", and that one happened to be mine.

You went off talking about acoustic guitars and points I never made, conveniently avoiding the simple question I asked. Amid all of the marketing going on here and the free advertising within this thread (should this even be on the REAPER Forum?), I just wondered if you would tell me, I asked, Okay, you suggest a million options is a good thing? Then tell me what was missing in the sounds of the world's greatest players who came before us. They had little more than that bass knob you mention, yet much of than music still sounds 10 times better than the digital glut of garbage circulating now.

To recap, What was missing? How about we have a listen to Free's "Alright Now" and you tell me what tweaking and modules the guitarist needed to fix that guitar sound.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #92
JHughes
Banned

Telenator, if this is not a topic for fanboi gushing, then neither is it an appropriate place for off topic questions. Why don't you start another thread?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #93
BenK-msx

Please stop Mr 'nator. This plugin suite can be loaded and head controls untouched and u can play and get nice sounds. Or you can screw about with every aspect of it.

Every great player as jmf mentioned pushed boundaries and tried things out. Often failing. That point doesn't hold.

Yes we should all probably tweak less and play and LISTEN more but that's our fault not the giver of options. Reaper is the same options galore and u can lose yourself in that, but with discipline you can focus on what matters to you and make progress.

No need for getting worked up by either side. Chill. Enjoy the plugin or not. :-)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #94
JHughes
Banned

1) Was it Ray Davies that got his sound from a ripped speaker cone?
2) I have a friend, an excellent guitarist, who didn't like his amp after it was refurbished. Something in it was out of spec that caused a distortion he liked.

Neither of the above cases would meet the approval of Telenator I suppose.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #95
bluzkat

Telenator,

I'm not sure what the problem is... you don't have to 'tweak' the software (amps) unless you care to. Its not a requirement, some people seem to like all the options.

Bottom line if you don't like the software... don't use it.

All the extra noise is not necessary.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #96
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
more bullshit
Jesus oke, give it a break...
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #97
Smurf

Wow, and I thought the stupid “NULL TEST! NULL TEST!” screamers were bad!

Is The Telenator the same ID10T that trashed yeps thread”? Sure sounds like the same mental capacity....
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #98
The Telenator
Banned

My question was not off-topic. But that's okay, let's keep the fanboi reactions coming, shall we? You know, there's obviously loads of great software out there for us these days, and there's plenty I love as well, just a quick and charming example being fuzzpile's Oatmeal.

However, what I really can't understand is how some of you get so emotionally attached and defensive over a piece of software. You act as though you're about to wet yourselves or as though I'd just grabbed your girlfriend's bottom. I'm not so insecure as to basically lose it if someone calls some programme I'm using a piece of rubbish. Further, as an adult, I've learned that people will often have opinions that vary from my own. Why, they even allow dissenting opinions in Russia nowadays, if you can believe that. I honestly don't understand what is wrong with some of you. Please explain your inabilities to cope with my opinions, because the more this goes on, the more I'm convinced this thread has degenerated into nothing more than fanboi-ism and a deliberate marketing effort of a third-party product.

REAPER anybody?

Last edited by The Telenator; 12-17-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: clarity, as always
Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #99
bluzkat

Quote:
My question was not off-topic.
No but all the bullshit was. When someone doesn't agree with you, you tend to get a little abrasive.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #100
BenK-msx

Fanboi reactions? All I can see are polite versions of 'your argument is lame at best' by folk speaking sense and the odd 'what is this guy on' response.

An Opinion is fine but if it isn't a reasoned one people just go 'wuh'.

I think the moon is made of a special kind of cake mix.

Why cant u handle my opinion 'moon is made of rock' fanboys??

Etc.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #101
JHughes
Banned

And there's a difference between marketing and education. A lot of people here, including me, participated in the development of HeadCase. Many many more are interested in the fact that it has been released after a long gestation period. This topic is welcome and perfectly legitimate. We're glad that Ken takes the time to come here and post rather than force interested folks to some other forum.

Again, if you don't like it Telenator, go elsewhere. Start an "I hate advertising" topic, or whatever it is you're on about. Because your points here are irrelevant and out of place.

And if it makes you feel special to keep saying "fanboi", then I have the perfect response, one on the same level as yours: "Whatever".
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #102
silar

Quote:
Gee, Johnny, don't let your zeal to market this latest line of busyware make you blow an artery in your neck or something. Was this thread set up just for fanboi gushing or is anyone else allowed to have an opinion? Are you one of those forum members who throw tantrums whenever someone disagrees with you? You can stomp your feet and pitch a fit if you want -- it's okay, but it leads me to believe even more there's something to what I said. They are called "opinions", and that one happened to be mine.

You went off talking about acoustic guitars and points I never made, conveniently avoiding the simple question I asked. Amid all of the marketing going on here and the free advertising within this thread (should this even be on the REAPER Forum?), I just wondered if you would tell me, I asked, Okay, you suggest a million options is a good thing? Then tell me what was missing in the sounds of the world's greatest players who came before us. They had little more than that bass knob you mention, yet much of than music still sounds 10 times better than the digital glut of garbage circulating now.

To recap, What was missing? How about we have a listen to Free's "Alright Now" and you tell me what tweaking and modules the guitarist needed to fix that guitar sound.
Man, It's not about that. Like someone said, if you don't like it, then don't use it. If you were offering helpful suggestions, your posts may be taken with something more than just looking like a rant because someone has wronged you.

With Headcase it's an amazing start to an evolution of Amp modelers. No longer will anyone say.. 'Check out my sound' and then they explain they used a JCM800 with a Tubescreamer with the gain at 1 with a little bit of reverb or delay, maybe a Chorus. Now they'll say 'Check out my sound' and explain that they adjusted the # of pre-amp tubes and their curves, changed bias, and the list goes on. It's THEIR sound. Not someone elses they tweaked to get the way they wanted it.

Another thing I love about this software is the Virtual Amp Stash. Being able to see what everyone else comes up with adds so much to the value of this product. With Headcase, we're not limited to waiting for the devs to hopefully create our favorite amp or sound like all the other modelers out there. Now, anyone can create whatever amp they choose. I have a POD HD500, and for those of us that have them, you know how long we waited just to get the SLO100. Seemed like it was forever and we all thought it wouldn't happen, but it finally did. Want an amp with Headcase? Make it yourself, or ask around and more than likely someone will make a darn if not exact copy of it for you..

I'm a programmer by trade, so I love the fact that you can do anything with this, but I'm sure it'll scare off some, but just like with anything, it's not like you have to use every single aspect of it. There are a couple of reverbs I'm not really fond of in my POD HD500. I didn't start jumping all over Line6 like 'How Dare you!'. I still bought it and love what I do use.

I'll get off my soapbox now.. Phew.. I feel better..

Oh, and Ken, The problem disappeared.. Weird..
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #103
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Guys, if you happen to run into an amp and setting that you like, can you please record the DI and then the preamp or poweramp output sound together as a stereo wave to give the more ambitious something to try and build?

I started with a 5150, but I'm off looking for more heads and preamps today
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #104
The Telenator
Banned

Someone said "education"? That was a joke, right? Me, "abrasive"? Sorry, if I don't spoon-feed my opinions to you, but your responses were beyond abrasive, verging on nasty and certainly emotionally based and immature. You sound like a bunch of jilted 17-yr.-olds. Meanwhile, I'm seeing a deliberate effort to avoid any question I asked about this twiddle toy and no direct response to any point I made. This is just more proof of the fanboi-ism and deliberate marketing effort.

I'm not sure if I saw REAPER mentioned even once. This thread belongs in the lounge.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #105
silar

Quote:
Someone said "education"? That was a joke, right? Me, "abrasive"? Sorry, if I don't spoon-feed my opinions to you, but your responses were beyond abrasive, verging on nasty and certainly emotionally based and immature. You sound like a bunch of jilted 17-yr.-olds. Meanwhile, I'm seeing a deliberate effort to avoid any question I asked about this twiddle toy and no direct response to any point I made. This is just more proof of the fanboi-ism and deliberate marketing effort.

I'm not sure if I saw REAPER mentioned even once. This thread belongs in the lounge.
He said fanboi again. And as a matter of fact, i mentioned reaper. Ok, you dont like the software, we get it. I don't like cheese either, but I'm not on Papa John's forums bashing anyone that likes the cheese they use. All you have accomplished is to turn this topic into a flame war.

Ken, kudos for taking amp modeling 20 steps into the future!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #106
aJon

From bubble-bursting to ironic facepalm in one easy link http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=114827

Looks like that plug mentioned has loads of..erm...tweakability and erm...sonic variables. Hope it comes with appropriate safety notifications so nobody overdoes it and gets a recurring-tweak injury.
aJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #107
ArrowHead

So he poops on one developers guitar plugin because he needs no new tones or gear,

Then he touts another developer's guitar plugin because of his constant search for tone and new gear.

I wonder your motivation, entering a thread to bash a product you claim you don't need, Mr. Telenator?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #108
ArrowHead

Quote:
This concept of too many choices
If your grocer stocks 100 new products - does it leave you unable to buy your groceries that week?

When too many options detracts you from getting what you need done, the problem isn't the options. The problem is you don't know what you're looking for, or what you need to make it.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #109
clickonce

Quote:
From bubble-bursting to ironic facepalm in one easy link http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=114827

Looks like that plug mentioned has loads of..erm...tweakability and erm...sonic variables. Hope it comes with appropriate safety notifications so nobody overdoes it and gets a recurring-tweak injury.
That thread should have been in the lounge!.

Someone move it quick before I jump in there with veins throbbing and call everyone fanbois.

Wait... ignore it you say? You mean I don't have to read it? Whoa.. far out.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #110
OpIvy

Quote:

haha....BURN!
He smelled of smart ass all along
OpIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #111
S1770

Removed

Last edited by S1770; 01-26-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #112
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpIvy View Post
haha....BURN!
He smelled of smart ass all along
/pwnt?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #113
The Telenator
Banned

S1770 -- the word you want is "technique" not "technic." You losers have all been punked. Helps to identify who all the mouthy-whiny babies are on a forum. Remember what Uncle Ernie said . . .
Old 12-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #114
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm finding iFace easier to use than MixIR, very cool, handy and quick interface!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #115
S1770

Removed

Last edited by S1770; 01-26-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #116
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
REAPER General Discussion Forum
This is a forum to discuss all aspects of REAPER, and life.
and life.

I think this would fit into the "and life" part

the lounge suits a far different purpose.

thanks for posting this here!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #117
The Telenator
Banned

"Come Dance with The Devil in the Pale Moonlight Mr Telenator"

Been there, done that.

Still got your knickers all in a bunch I see? Doin' the fanboi is like wearing a T-shirt that says 'kick me' on the back. But it's just words and opinion, kids. Don't have to react like someone sat on your lunch, but if you do . . .

I could have totally panned the entire line of products, yet I actually rated the one amp rather highly. I guess that just got overlooked in all the excitement. Flattered by the lengthy analysis, though. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #118
Stu

Just purchased, have to say a huge thanks to you Ken, it really is superb! I've not looked at any of the builder aspects of Headcase yet but just browsing the amps brought a big smile to my face, everything sounds very good without much tweaking at all. I own a Pod HD500 and whilst I've been very happy with the tones I've been able to get with it, I've always needed to tweak for quite a while before I got what I wanted. Conversely, most of the amps I've tried in Headcase provided almost instant gratification.

One thing I wanted to ask about; there is quite a bit of 'zipper noise' when adjusting certain controls and even mousing over certain buttons, is this something that will be addressed at some point?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #119
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks Stu..
The zipper noise,

I am definitely trying to identify areas where we are handling it and don't need to be, and areas where we are not handling it and need to be.

Its a first version release and I always maintain that you never truly know a software until it has been set out in the wild. Even a software of head case's age..
Its an old fella that has just been born.. haha

The plan..
I am hoping to get the new iFace complete for testing this week, but thats a pretty lofty goal. That will most likely be after XMAS. In the mean time collect a series of issues that we can address after Christmas for head case... And yes head case users, if anyone is curious, the new iFace is free for you becauase it remains part of head case, its also a free upgrade for current iFace customers..

So, whats new...?
Up to 12 cabs simultaneously. Thats the only real change, but its big enough..
So, before you say who the hell needs 12 cabs? Here's what we want to do with it.
If you quad track your guitars like many metal guys do, then the new iFace could support two quad tracked guitars, one solo, one clean, one harmony solo, and one bass track all at once. So you record them all on separate tracks and just route them to iFace. Track 1 goes to Cab 1, Track 2 goes to Cab 2, etc. So 12 tracks all for the CPU cost of one iFace...

Thats the plan, so now I just have to build it, and, hopefully I'm not talkin out my ass..
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #120
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
Thanks Stu..
The zipper noise,

I am definitely trying to identify areas where we are handling it and don't need to be, and areas where we are not handling it and need to be.

Its a first version release and I always maintain that you never truly know a software until it has been set out in the wild. Even a software of head case's age..
Its an old fella that has just been born.. haha

The plan..
I am hoping to get the new iFace complete for testing this week, but thats a pretty lofty goal. That will most likely be after XMAS. In the mean time collect a series of issues that we can address after Christmas for head case... And yes head case users, if anyone is curious, the new iFace is free for you becauase it remains part of head case, its also a free upgrade for current iFace customers..

So, whats new...?
Up to 12 cabs simultaneously. Thats the only real change, but its big enough..
So, before you say who the hell needs 12 cabs? Here's what we want to do with it.
If you quad track your guitars like many metal guys do, then the new iFace could support two quad tracked guitars, one solo, one clean, one harmony solo, and one bass track all at once. So you record them all on separate tracks and just route them to iFace. Track 1 goes to Cab 1, Track 2 goes to Cab 2, etc. So 12 tracks all for the CPU cost of one iFace...

Thats the plan, so now I just have to build it, and, hopefully I'm not talkin out my ass..
That Ken, would be the icing on the cake for me!