Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
pbk
Human being with feelings

Default ReaControlMIDI Sysex display corrupted?

I am attempting to send a Sysex messages generated from a plugin to an external synth. It seems the device is receiving the messages correctly, however ReaControlMIDI's display does not match the message contents. The first 3 bytes of my Sysex messages are F0 41 10, and they appear as 00 00 00 in ReaControlMIDI's activity log. Has anyone noticed something similar?

488: 90 3C 40 [Note On] chan 1 note 60 vel 64
489: Sysex
00 00 00 00 53 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4B F7
490: 80 3C 40 [Note Off] chan 1 note 60

BTW, this is REAPER 4.25/x64.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

I tried to send your message F0 41 10 00 00 53 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4B F7 from a simple test JS plugin I once wrote and ReaControlMIDI's logger shows it correct. XP32bit here, so it might be a 64bit thing?
What's particularly weird is that your logger correctly says "SysEx" even though the first byte isn't displayed as F0. It contradicts itself.

Which plugin are you using to generate the message? And is there any routing involved (as opposed to ReaControlMIDI on the same track directly after the message generator plug)?
What does happen if you enter the message in the SysEx lane of an item and log that with ReaControlMIDI (or enter the message into the SysEx field of another instance of ReaControlMIDI and send it from there)?

Do you have another MIDI logger able to display SysEx (JS midi_logger doesn't seem to show sysEx at all)?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
pbk

Hi gofer. Thank you for your reply.

It's actually my own plugin. I am sending a VstMidiSysexEvent and the message goes into the sysexDump field. I have debugged the plugin inside the reaper_host32 process and, as far as I can tell, data gets passed correctly to Reaper. Normal MIDI events work flawlessly.

I will loopback the MIDI to see what I receive to investigate the issue further. Maybe the synth is also giving me false input and it ignores the first Sysex bytes.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
pbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbk View Post
I will loopback the MIDI to see what I receive to investigate the issue further. Maybe the synth is also giving me false input and it ignores the first Sysex bytes.
I was wrong about REAPER outputting the message correctly. The output is the same as shown by ReaControlMIDI, ie first three bytes are written as zero. I tried the plugin in other DAWs, and the output shows correctly there. I also tried the pre-release and the issue happens there too. I will submit a bug report.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

You mention in the other thread that you use bit bridge to host your plugin, maybe the issue is there? Could you try to either compile for 64bit (says he, and has no idea what that would involve) and/or run it in 32bit Reaper for testing purpose?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote