Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #41
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Yes the ilok tweaks worked. If they didn't, the Muse Receptor would not have been able to load Windows ilok protected plugins in Linux. And no, no driver from Windows or Pace was used.

I'm surprised that more people aren't familiar with the work Muse Research did. The information is freely available, especially in the Wine mailing lists and forums if you look for it.

As per the shared memory, you seem pretty confident Wine is allowing for shared memory. If you try the two quick tests I mentioned in the previous post, I would be very interested to hear your findings. In my case, Kontakt and other Windows VSTs are not sharing memory at all.

Last edited by Klangfarben; 09-02-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #42
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yes the ilok tweaks worked. If they didn't, the Muse Receptor would not have been able to load Windows ilok protected plugins in Linux. And no, no driver from Windows or Pace was used.

I'm surprised that more people aren't familiar with the work Muse Research did. The information is freely available, especially in the Wine mailing lists and forums if you look for it.

As per the shared memory, you seem pretty confident Wine is allowing for shared memory. If you try the two quick tests I mentioned in the previous post, I would be very interested to hear your findings. In my case, Kontakt and other Windows VSTs are not sharing memory at all.
I wasn't talking about Muse, I was talking about the Wine patches that this thread is about https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=155470&p=3 where they seem to be doing something with Ilok and then they vanish, maybe because it didn't work, I don't know.

Like I said I have no idea about Muse and Ilok, I just guessed that seeing that a Windows driver can't be used then a Linux driver would be needed.

If Muse added whatever they did to the Wine code then apparently Ilok still isn't working.

I have no interest in Ilok at all.

The memory thing seems to be something like this unless I'm misunderstanding something.

The 2nd etc Kontakt instance that use the same samples can all use the same samples that were loaded into memory the first time.

LinVst isn't setup for that as it's a bit difficult with a Linux to Wine process routine.

Windows Reaper running under Wine would probably do it as it's just a Wine process, I don't know because I havn't tested it, also there is Carla but once again I don't use it so I don't know

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-02-2019 at 06:06 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #43
Klangfarben

AFAIK, the wine patch in question was using some of Muse's work, including the ilok tweaks as they were the only ones who were able to make it work and the guy who maintained this patch didn't want that work to die (including the RT tweaks Muse originally did as well).

Again, Muse offered their fork changes to Wine but they declined to add them even though Muse said they weren't that extensive and pretty easy to add. Hence the reason the patch being discussed here came to be - so that work wouldn't be lost. Unfortunately, that seems to be exactly what happened.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #44
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Same as steam play proton, such a good idea, but as soon as the devs update the game for the better, they might forget about the proton thing as it was a Windows game from start.. hmm. *whine*
Turns out the game you had in mind was a bug'ster on Windows also.

So, an U-he synth works well in WINE and U-he is one of those trying to support Linux, "coincidence interesting.. &

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #45
4duhwinnn

The U-he boss loves hardware, loves synths,
perhaps has a few steins/shots with the daw-maker
down the road who has a linux version...
and at some point will no-doubt rub elbows with embedded linux.

https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listin...?jl=3186099759

While the u-he linux ports may not rake in huge piles of cash,
there are other values, and a bright future to consider.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #46
4duhwinnn

Quote:
So, an U-he synth works well in WINE and U-he is one of those trying to support Linux, "coincidence interesting.. &
I've read that the U-he boss really likes code that
can be re-purposed throughout their products, and be useful
in future products. They appear to be quite adept at making that happen.

I think I recall reading that the linux ports
were very challenging, because of several important
fundamental differences between win/mac and linux
'ways of doing things'.
Alexander Bique has done a great job on the ports,
should be a noteworthy page on his resume'.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #47
SmajjL

Been a while since my last Linux schooby doo round, this time it is staying! and i'll try me some U-he, have not even tried their FX stuff, looks like most if not Everything has a Linux tag on 'em now..
Great job indeed'ness A.B!

*Handbrake sound FX!*

Wait one sec.. was that something Native Instruments and Linux in the same context/sentence?

Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #48
Klangfarben

Quote:
Wait one sec.. was that something Native Instruments and Linux in the same context/sentence?
It is most likely for a server admin or similar position. Native Instruments has made it very clear they want nothing to do with Linux.

That being said, I highly recommend everyone here interested to write them. I've written them more than once. They keep saying no, but you don't get what you don't ask for

Last edited by Klangfarben; 09-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #49
SmajjL

Very clear?.. huh.. well I have thank you'ed Bitwig and U-he is next! i'm very busy atm
REAPER linux is Justins initiative, have not wrote him any letter about, that.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.