Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
edkilp
Human being with feelings

Default Megababy Question

Just started messing with Sequencer megababy nm. Pretty fun so far. One question. After I construct a bunch of drum patterns, how do I arrange them into a playlist-type fashion when it's time to record the whole thing? I'm not finding this info so far. Thanks.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Junke

You can only chain them in order, have to copy the patterns around so it fits. It seems you can also send midi notes to trigger the pattern but it´s not explained in the manual (p.245 btw)
Junke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
edkilp

Ok but I don't even know how to get it to play patterns in sequence. It just repeats whatever pattern I select over and over.
I think it needs a pattern mode and a song mode like FL or Hydrogen. I dunno.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Junke

Did you try as it´s described in the manual?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
edkilp

Yes, but I don't think it does what I need it to do. I need to arrange the patterns as I wish, and not consecutively. If pattern 5 is my chorus, I may want it to repeat later in the song, but I don't think this is possible. Patterns can only be chained together consecutively. Right?
I'm still searching for a free step sequencer that can provide a pattern mode for arranging, and a song mode for performing the finished drum track. Pattern-based, with the ability to move the patterns around at will. Also needs to export the MIDI. You would think this should be easy to find, but it's really a lot more difficult than I thought.

I suppose it doesn't have to be free, but I assumed there would be a lot of them available. I'm open to paid programs as well, if I can find one that does what I need.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Junke

You can send midi notes to the megababy to switch patterns, activate "Midi Trigger"
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #7
Junke

You´re welcome, i guess?

Other contenders:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/my-proje...t-arpeggiator/
http://www.kirnuarp.com/kirnu1/index.html
Old 02-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

BlueARP is a great tool that I've used on numerous projects now. Another really good one is Nora. It isn't free but it is WELL worth the price. The latest updates have really added some very cool features and it is rock solid timing wise too.
https://www.squaredheads.com/index.php
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junke View Post
I've been away from my computer. Sorry for not responding instantly. I'll check out the midi note thing and these other sequencers. Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
lachrimae

Not sure if this is what you're asking for but try enabling Pattern Change in MegaBaby, then use the pattern change midi notes to trigger the pattern you want (MegaBaby's red bar indicates the pattern change note assignments).

https://i.imgur.com/HIqrnKi.gif

Although a different beast, I also highly recommend Nora. I've noticed that a lot of people don't quite grasp how a pattern sequencer is different from a traditional sequencer, but I think it's pretty damn cool...
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Not sure if this is what you're asking for but try enabling Pattern Change in MegaBaby, then use the pattern change midi notes to trigger the pattern you want (MegaBaby's red bar indicates the pattern change note assignments).

https://i.imgur.com/HIqrnKi.gif

Although a different beast, I also highly recommend Nora. I've noticed that a lot of people don't quite grasp how a pattern sequencer is different from a traditional sequencer, but I think it's pretty damn cool...
That's what I need, but where are you putting the trigger notes? On the MegaBaby track or the drum VSTi track? I have it on the Megababy track, MIDI set to Pattern Change, and the appropriate trigger notes drawn in, but it still just plays pattern 1. Are there track or plugin settings that need to be made for this to work? I'm close but not quite there yet. thanks for the illustration. Proves that what I'm after can be done.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
unique

Are you drawing the trigger note in the midi piano roll in reaper? Should be, and if so, try an octave up and an octave down from where the notes should be drawn in, sometimes the octaves are off.
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
edkilp

If I select transpose instead of Pattern Change, it does change the notes accordingly, so i know it's responding to my trigger notes. Pattern change does nothing, no matter what I do. Has to be a setting somewhere.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
Are you drawing the trigger note in the midi piano roll in reaper? Should be, and if so, try an octave up and an octave down from where the notes should be drawn in, sometimes the octaves are off.
Man, thanks a lot for that! The octave is set for C7 in MegaBaby, but I actually have to have it start at C8. That's a relief! Now I can do some real serious goofing around! Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
edkilp

Now if I can just figure out why it's cranking MDrummer's volume all the way up, I'll be all set! I turn it down, press play and the volume instantly spikes...weird.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #16
Junke

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I've been away from my computer. Sorry for not responding instantly. I'll check out the midi note thing and these other sequencers. Thanks
Sorry for the impatience, had my cases of hit & runs lately

In preferences -> media -> midi set an offset of -1 for "midi octave name" to have it behave like most other devices expect.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #17
edkilp

Quote:
Sorry for the impatience, had my cases of hit & runs lately

In preferences -> media -> midi set an offset of -1 for "midi octave name" to have it behave like most other devices expect.
I'm ok with it the way it is, now that i know it is the way it is...hehehe. Thanks for your help. I think this is gonna make writing drums a lot quicker once I get somewhat of a routine in place.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
edkilp

Hey guys, I'm really puzzled about this volume issue. When I play back the recorded MIDI track, it turns MDrummer's volume all the way up. All the velocities are set to 100. I can turn the volume down while it's playing and it will stay there, but if I stop it, it will spike back up to max volume again. I've about blown my ears out with this problem.

There's nothing in the event list that indicates any volume messages being transmitted. It could be something in MDrummer though. EZ Drummer doesn't seem to behave the same way if I drag the MIDI tack to EZ's track. Anyone else had a similar issue with MegaBaby? I'm using the nm version.

**EDIT** This does not happen if I'm using midi notes to trigger the patterns. it only happens when I'm working with the recorded MIDI track. Very weird.

Last edited by edkilp; 02-11-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
edkilp

Nevermind, I'm going to post my issue in the actual megababy thread. No sense starting another one. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
future fields

since you use midi notes to trigger different patterns can't you just use the piano roll to sequence your patterns?
future fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
edkilp

Yes I certainly can. But the inquisitive geek in me needs to know what the hell is causing the volume to go crazy.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:01 AM   #22
Junke

Not sure if that is it, from the manual 12.4.:
"Meanwhile, note that the button indicated on
the right can be used to ensure that a send's fader controls
are used to control the MIDI data.
With this button enabled, CC messages CC07 for Volume (127, max) and CC10 Pan (64, center) are sent on the
selected channels (by default, all channels). If there are any MIDI items (even empty ones) on the sending
track, they are sent when transport starts or stops, or play position changes. However be aware that not all
synths and plug-ins recognize this feature."
Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
jessetal

I see that some of you seem to be using Nora as a pattern sequencer for drums in Reaper. Are you placing the Nora plugin in the same spot that you would usually place megababy on a track? And are you able to do those glitchy beat-division edits in Nora that you can do in megababy?
jessetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #24
edkilp

Quote:
Not sure if that is it, from the manual 12.4.:
"Meanwhile, note that the button indicated on
the right can be used to ensure that a send's fader controls
are used to control the MIDI data.
With this button enabled, CC messages CC07 for Volume (127, max) and CC10 Pan (64, center) are sent on the
selected channels (by default, all channels). If there are any MIDI items (even empty ones) on the sending
track, they are sent when transport starts or stops, or play position changes. However be aware that not all
synths and plug-ins recognize this feature."
That could very well be. MDrummer may not recognize the CC messages. I can be perfectly satisfied just triggering patterns but the volume thing had me puzzled. Thanks and I must say you are a REAPER manual guru. I never even got that far yet and can't be certain I would have even known where to start looking for this.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #25
tgraph

Thanks for this thread... I got farther tonight with megababy than I have in 6 months....
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #26
themixtape

Just wanted to say-- I'm so loving this Megababy and especially Megababy, the Nandy's Mod (Megababy nm).

I set up my M-Audio Axiom Air Mini 32 to do certain Reaper actions, with the transport and directional buttons... up is "go to previous track", down is "go to next track"... (track 1 has a TAL UNO-LX2 with Megababy, same with track 2, though it's a different instance of Megababy and the UNO-LX2)... track 3 and 4 both have TAL UNO-LX2s on them, but they're more for "live play over the patterns".

The 8 drumpads on the Axiom Air Mini 32 function as the pattern changers (set to the lowest octave, first 16 notes on an 88-key). I think it's C-2 or whatever, as the start point). If track 1 is selected, I am changing the first sequencer's pattern, likewise with if track 2 is selected. I can toggle record in and out (and the metronome) as needed, thanks to the Axiom, and Reaper's Actions.

Now... my QUESTIONS for you guys....

Is there any way to LIMIT the patterns for Megababy Nandy's Mod? That red block of keys is a bit too big! Even with the 48 total pattern setting (instead of 96). All I want is a resizeable box that will trigger up to 16 patterns per Megababy nm (the Axiom's pads total 16, with pad banks 1 and 2)... I know I can do this with regular Megababy, but I so LOVE the color scheme of Megababy nm (and how the color stays consistent even when changing patterns), and the functionality (such as chopping up beats to quicker divisions... among the many other awesome things the mod does).

Another question-- is there any way to set the pattern's MIDI CHANNEL? That would be ideal to give me freedom to make all sorts of melodies and basslines and LOW-ass notes without interfering with the sequencer's input.

Thank you guys for ANY help. This is so much fun!!!
Old 01-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #27
PMdL

Default MegaBaby Time Signature

Hi,
is there possible to change time signature in Megababy? or to have two time signature?
for example to make a bit that is 4/4 + 6/8?
Thanks
PMdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #28
Fergler

Put megababy on blank MIDI items instead of on the track. Now you can sequence them around as you wish, cut them up, etc.

Use Apply FX to items (MIDI) if you want to screw with them on the arrange view such as stretching it out, tweaking, etc.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #29
themixtape

I'm still wondering, a couple years later, if it is possible to reduce the total patterns to 8, not even 16... the red key area is too damn big, haha.

Is it possible?

Also, any possibility that the regular Megababy can have the SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK modifier be "cut sequence length in half?" It lets you SHIFT+LEFT CLICK to double it, but there's no way to go in reverse.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #30
ashcat_lt

I hacked my version of megababy so that I can set the channel for the control Mets independent of the channel it sends on. I’m sure there’s a way to reduced the span of those control notes, but is that needed if it’s on a separate channel?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote