Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Tone Ranger
Human being with feelings

Default Deleting mix automation, but keeping fader and pan settings. Is it possible??

Hello Reaper friends!

Making the switch from Pro Tools to Reaper - I purchased AATranslator to help with the transition and to bring over any work that comes in the form of Pro Tools sessions. It's been working great so far!

Here's my dilemma, I've been fiddling with this for a few hours and can't seem to make it work. I have a Pro Tools session that I'm bringing into Reaper to mix via AATranslator - ideally I would love to keep some of the fader levels/balancing that's already done (and panning). In order to import fader levels and panning with AATranslator, I need to use the option to import automation - which works great. The issue is that once in Reaper, I'd actually like to get rid of the automation information but keep the fader levels and panning on some stuff, and readjust and reautomate freely from that point.

The first issue is that the only way I can see what the fader and pan settings are, is to switch to either read or touch mode. If I delete the automation, the fader and pan levels reset to 0 as though I'm starting a new mix in trim/read mode. Has anyone got any tricks (combination of scripts, what ever works) that would allow me to take a project that has volume and pan automation in Reaper and keep the fader and pan levels but delete the automation information so I can work freely using the levels and pans that were already there (visually as well, faders and pans physically showing their settings like in read or touch mode, not all zero'd like in trim/read)?

Apologies for the long-winded explanation, hope this all makes sense!
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
Kenny Gioia

Not really a script but this works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm4dmv6r1n...elope.mp4?dl=0
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Not really a script but this works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm4dmv6r1n...elope.mp4?dl=0
Much appreciated Kenny, that's what I'm looking for - is there a way I can do this across all automation envelopes on all selected tracks in a project in one go, and not have to do it for each track/envelope individually? Not sure if I'm overlooking something here, but I can only get this to work on one focussed envelope on a single track at a time!

Thanks again :-)
Old 09-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Hello Reaper friends!

Making the switch from Pro Tools to Reaper - I purchased AATranslator to help with the transition and to bring over any work that comes in the form of Pro Tools sessions. It's been working great so far!
Only marginally related to your post but contact me for the latest beta version of AATranslator as we have literally just added a heap of PTX related functionality including identifying inactive tracks.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Only marginally related to your post but contact me for the latest beta version of AATranslator as we have literally just added a heap of PTX related functionality including identifying inactive tracks.
Amazing - thanks Michael!! Can't say enough about how great AATranslator is.....
Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
hopi

OT maybe or maybe not...

I do like to point out the HeDa VIP Mixer to people... find it in the JSFX area of the forum...

yes, it costs you a min. donation of about 5 bucks to get it and updates for 6 months... but to me that is nothing.

Recent update for the VIP Mixer... let's you create tabs, each of which can have whatever as selected tracks on that tab... AND NOW you can have each tab, and the tracks on it, saved as a mixing snapshot.... so you can surely save a tab with all your tracks, along with auto snapshot turned on.
Then delete all the automation and the snapshot will keep whatever vol and pan settings it had when you loaded it.

there's more but that might be of great interest
Old 09-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I do like to point out the HeDa VIP Mixer to people...
Thanks for that, @hopi! Funnily enough I've already donated and use Track Inspector VIP, but never really looked into the VIP mixer much. I'll look a little closer at it!!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
hopi

yeah good idea... the TI is great and the Mixer is super kewl and keeps getting better and better

it takes a bit of getting to know it... as it has lots of custom settings...

Last edited by hopi; 09-21-2019 at 07:52 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
serr

Just FYI @Tone Ranger

There's whats called a trim/read mode in Reaper automation. In trim/read mode, you can grab the fader again and adjust. The new adjustment becomes an "offset" for the automated level which still exists and moves in the background.

Not what you asked for (and your question WAS a good one) but maybe features like this that go beyond Protools feature set will help. I upgraded from Protools HD to Reaper just over 10 years ago. Never looked back.

I wish I still had some excuse to use AATranslator! I bought it back then too and it just worked. In fact... it was more reliable to open an older PT session sometimes than PT itself! (Their backwards compatibility for their project files was 90% successful on a good day at best.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
it takes a bit of getting to know it... as it has lots of custom settings...
It's true - still getting my head around what TI is capable of doing. Track versions are a game changer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I upgraded from Protools HD to Reaper just over 10 years ago. Never looked back.
Awesome - I'm definitely following the same path!! I'm curious how you've made out with the takes/playlists thing.....that's the one major area I'm having issues with that's stopping me from doing all my tracking in Reaper? Not to derail my own thread!! LOL

I'm definitely still exploring what Reaper can do with automation - it's SO much better for automation than Pro Tools IMHO. Automation items are such a great feature! Trim/Read is definitely a handy mode, and could help somewhat with the above situation. I'd just rather not start automating a mix by offsetting everything against a previous balance.....it's probably harmless but I can't help thinking it would come back to bite me later LOL
Old 09-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
It's true - still getting my head around what TI is capable of doing. Track versions are a game changer!!

Awesome - I'm definitely following the same path!! I'm curious how you've made out with the takes/playlists thing.....that's the one major area I'm having issues with that's stopping me from doing all my tracking in Reaper? Not to derail my own thread!! LOL

I'm definitely still exploring what Reaper can do with automation - it's SO much better for automation than Pro Tools IMHO. Automation items are such a great feature! Trim/Read is definitely a handy mode, and could help somewhat with the above situation. I'd just rather not start automating a mix by offsetting everything against a previous balance.....it's probably harmless but I can't help thinking it would come back to bite me later LOL
In Protools, when you would track overdubs and wanted to use playlists to keep multiple takes (which seemed like the closest feature they had for doing that - using multiple tracks for multiple takes is a frustrating way to work)... It was actually a little clumsy to have to make a new playlist for every take. And then if you made any timeline edits and wanted to revisit a different take later on... Hope you thought to pull up those alternate playlists and make the same edit! Otherwise that ship has sailed.

In Reaper I use the 'new recordings that overlap previously recorded items make a new item in a new lane' and 'show multiple lanes' options. I make "recording bin" (my term) track(s) for recording overdubs. I let the takes (items) stack up in lanes in my recording bin track which always stays muted. (I monitor live inputs with the mixer built into my audio interfaces or I'll make a monitor bus track if I'm doing something live through the computer - live performance through plugins.) I fly takes into my final arrangement tracks as I get takes I like. The grouping feature to facilitate multiple item selection makes working with multitrack literally like working with a single track.

In other words... the basic DAW style tracking that Protools was only able to almost make work. I'm not a fan of any of the weirdo comp features in various DAWs and that includes Reaper's "take" system. Just a time waster when you can cut to the chase and just record and grab. So this was a big upgrade too!

Last edited by serr; 09-21-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
Tone Ranger

Quote:
In Reaper I use the 'new recordings that overlap previously recorded items make a new item in a new lane' and 'show multiple lanes' options. I make "recording bin" (my term) track(s) for recording overdubs. I let the takes (items) stack up in lanes in my recording bin track which always stays muted. (I monitor live inputs with the mixer built into my audio interfaces or I'll make a monitor bus track if I'm doing something live through the computer - live performance through plugins.) I fly takes into my final arrangement tracks as I get takes I like. The grouping feature to facilitate multiple item selection makes working with multitrack literally like working with a single track.
Interesting - I'm going to have to play with that setup and see what it's like. When using lanes and new items, if you were to listen to the recording track, do all items play at the same time? Or just the selected items, like with takes? Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 09-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
serr

Quote:
Interesting - I'm going to have to play with that setup and see what it's like. When using lanes and new items, if you were to listen to the recording track, do all items play at the same time? Or just the selected items, like with takes? Thanks for the suggestion!!
There are features to work monitoring a track with multiple items stacked in lanes.
I never monitor my recording bin tracks.

The take system lets you click to select which take to monitor and that part is intuitive and elegant. You have to want to have all the takes in a single item as multiple audio streams though. Which leads to any edits would be wanted to be in the same place for any/all takes. If you record real audio - ie recordings of performance with microphones and further, that aren't computer generated metronome grid affairs - you'll likely be fighting with the take feature.

It looks like it would be a good live performance tool for the electronica/looping stuff to let you morph things by selecting alternate takes on the fly with prerecorded samples and stuff too.

Or maybe you'll like it and think it's perfect for your recording workflow and decide I'm the one out to lunch!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Or maybe you'll like it and think it's perfect for your recording workflow and decide I'm the one out to lunch!
LOL Naw, I've tried a bunch of different workflows people have generously suggested on here using the takes system, and haven't found one that doesn't feel limiting or obtrusive to how a band or producer might ask me to work in a session unfortunately. I guess I'm out to lunch too LOL