Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
gwok
Human being with feelings

Default 14bit cc's and Zebra

Hey, I got a question.

I'm not totally savvy to how these 14bit cc's work. I have used MSB\LSB before for some hardware synths to control various parameters. But the way I used them in the past wouldn't for example in Reaper actaully give me a higher resolution of controller data.

SO my questions is, with these 14 bit cc's, can I actually get a super high res midi cc to zebra, and if so, how do I set it up.

The reason this eludes me is this. When I previously used 14bit cc's, basically the MSB (i think) was basically a list of 127 parameters that could be controlled. Then the current values parameter would be the one that would get the controller data. Pretty straightforward, just a big list really you chose with the 1st cc's, and modulated with the second. THough I don't see how that would allow for a higher rez cc input, because using this logic, it seems a little awkward.

cheers
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
Hey, I got a question.

I'm not totally savvy to how these 14bit cc's work. I have used MSB\LSB before for some hardware synths to control various parameters. But the way I used them in the past wouldn't for example in Reaper actaully give me a higher resolution of controller data.

SO my questions is, with these 14 bit cc's, can I actually get a super high res midi cc to zebra, and if so, how do I set it up.

The reason this eludes me is this. When I previously used 14bit cc's, basically the MSB (i think) was basically a list of 127 parameters that could be controlled. Then the current values parameter would be the one that would get the controller data. Pretty straightforward, just a big list really you chose with the 1st cc's, and modulated with the second. THough I don't see how that would allow for a higher rez cc input, because using this logic, it seems a little awkward.

cheers
I guess that what you have been using before, were (N)RPN CC#s. These are a bit more complicated than 'plain' 14 bit MIDI CC#. To accommodate a large number of (non) registered parameters, the parameter *number* also takes the form of a 14 bit value, using the MSB / LSB system. You may have been using only a 7 but value for each, both for parameter number, and for parameter value?

In any case, the 14 bit support in Zebra2 (and other u-he plug-ins) is not very hard to set up, and will indeed give you high resolution control (although I wouldn't call it 'super', compared to plug-in parameter automation; but it's certainly a big step up from 7 bit, and arguably suffices for most of the cases where 7 bit doesn't). You should, before 'learning' CC#s to the controls via the plug-in GUI, select 14 bit mode by right-clicking in the preset name display > MIDI Controllers > Continuous14bit. Then send 14 bit CC# data, which should establish a 14-bit binding on Zebra2's end. From there on, you should have high resolution control over that parameter using 14 bit MIDI.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Banned; 05-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
gwok

doh - didn't realize it was that simple - cheers

right, ya, it was NRPN's i was using back in the day

It does help, but unfortuanelty I realized my little quest won't be achievable. What I wanted to do was not use Zebra's lfo's, and use either cc's or automation instead. A strange endevour, but i have my reasons

anyway, what I found though is that regardless of the cc resolution, Zebra has smoothing implemented on both cc's and automation. So nothing sounds quite as snappy as the native lfo. The midi made sense for the smoothing, but I was surprised that the automation was as well....

anyway, so I couldn't get my snappy parameter jumps as what would be a nice little click using zebra's lfo to mod something (say pitch), coming from outside of zebrea gets traslated into a glide. oh well, at least I got high rez controllers if I want them, even if they are smoothed in the time domain

thanks Banned
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote