Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
patrick_like_static
Human being with feelings

Default "Apply track FX" and phase relation -- a bug?

I'm having some minor trouble with a project: when I select a region and use "apply track FX to items as new take," the result isn't a carbon copy of the original+FX.

My computer is short on resources, so in many projects I have to add FX destructively. Here's what I do:

1.) After deciding I want lock in a track's FX, I duplicate it and leave the original untouched
2.) I "apply...FX" to the duplicate only
3.) After the region/s is rendered, I "crop to active take" and kill the FX
4.) To check for success, I flip the polarity on the duplicate and solo both it and the original, which still has FX running: a successful Apply-FX should result in total silence

Sometimes, though, there's still a little sound (most of it phase cancelled) when I check, which means that the Apply-FX track isn't identical to the track with plug-ins running in real time. I know this is terribly nitpicky, but I wanted to get some insight as to why this happens. In this particular case, I'm running a cheap EQ [IIEQ] and an expander [Floorfish].
patrick_like_static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_like_static View Post
Sometimes, though, there's still a little sound (most of it phase cancelled) when I check, which means that the Apply-FX track isn't identical to the track with plug-ins running in real time.
Some types of plugins have "memory" (technically hysteresis, though that word usually means something a little different in audio world), so they will give slightly different output if they processed any audio at all before the rendered audio, even if there was silence between the previous audio and the rendered audio. When you render the FX, the plugin doesn't "hear" the previous audio, so there is a slight difference in output.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Mr. Data

Hi Patrick,

it also depends on the effect itself. Modulating FX, like flangers, choruses, phasers, panners, ring-modulators or auto-whas will most likely leave an audible signal when comparing them this way. If you for instance use a chorus, which slightly shifts the delaytime back and forth, you may have the same settings on both, but it is unlikely that the phase of the modulation (I don't mean the phase of the signal here) of both is equal, so there will be a signal, because the delaytime of the rendered and the delaytime of the FX of the original is not the same. If you playback your piece more than once, you'll probably notice, that it sounds a bit different each time.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 01-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
beatbybit

try to move the new audiofile by 1 (or less) samples on the timeline, and see that if it helps

any good?