Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #1
zardeefonder
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI tracks not generating audio files

Hello. I am using Windows 10 and the newest version of Reaper 6.73

I have googled and went through all the preferences and options trying to figure this out but after a couple of days, I am stumped.

At one time my install of Reaper was generating the audio files of .wav and .reapeaks whenever I recorded using midi. Now I have the recorded midi tracks in a project and when I save and reopen the project the tracks are still there and playable but there are no associated audio files tied to the project file.

The audio files are generated and in their proper directories, when I record an instrument or mic from one of the inputs on my interface.

I have searched my entire PC for these files using .wav and .reapeaks but they aren't present. I have even gone as far as searching using the wild card *.* and sorting by date but can't find them so I believe they don't exist.

I have been setting up my save project file structure so it saves each project in it's own sub directory under Reaper Media and the .wav files under an audio sub directory within the project directory and the peak files in a sub directory of that corresponding audio directory.

It was working fine but then something happened or I did something so the midi tracks are no longer generating audio files.

Thanks for any help someone can give me.
zardeefonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
b2001

Midi data does not generate audio by it self; reaper, when playing midi data does not generate audio by itself.
Either a vst instrument (vsti) must be inserted on the track or the track must be routed to an external midi capable device and audio must be input in to another track from that device.

What do you mean by playable? You can hear sound?

When i want to record a midi performance on a track and also capture the audio performance of the vsti on that track, i route the audio output of the track to another track to record that audio.

This is the best that i can answer based on what i think your issue is.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
zardeefonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
Midi data does not generate audio by it self; reaper, when playing midi data does not generate audio by itself.
Either a vst instrument (vsti) must be inserted on the track or the track must be routed to an external midi capable device and audio must be input in to another track from that device.

What do you mean by playable? You can hear sound?

When i want to record a midi performance on a track and also capture the audio performance of the vsti on that track, i route the audio output of the track to another track to record that audio.

This is the best that i can answer based on what i think your issue is.
I have have a vsti on the track. I am using a midi controller to record with it.

Yes. When I play the track back I hear the notes I recorded. I can save the project reopen it and the track is there and can be played edited etc.

There just isn't any audio files being generated from these tracks. I have used various vsti's with the same result.

I don't think I have changed anything with the routing since it was working.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
b2001

Are you doing a send of the audio from that track to another track?
Are you arming the second track and then recording the audio?

How are inputs and outputs set on the track and how is routing set?

I can’t tell you why it was working and now not working; but hopefully help sort out what the issue is now… do you have an old rpp file where it was working and is now working to compare?

I’ll add: googling it looks like there is a way to have separate midi and audio on the same track using takes or lanes. I don’t know how to do it and have never done it. My advice is based on having the midi and audio of a performance on separate track. I am not sure what you have done.

Last edited by b2001; 01-30-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #5
zardeefonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
Are you doing a send of the audio from that track to another track?
Are you arming the second track and then recording the audio?

How are inputs and outputs set on the track and how is routing set?

I can’t tell you why it was working and now not working; but hopefully help sort out what the issue is now… do you have an old rpp file where it was working and is now working to compare?
I was just looking at the files that wav were generated and they both have glued (
ex. 01-Am Rotary Organ 64-glued.wav) in them. I had never tried playing one. I just assumed it contained sound. When I play it there is nothing. Now I am thinking the files weren't supposed to be generating in the first place.

Boy I am new to all this but I am trying to learn. Was an IT Consultant for 15 years but feeling pretty stupid at the keyboard right now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 AM   #6
Stoker

If you right click the track with the MIDI data and select Render/freeze tracks -> Render tracks to mono stem tracks (and mute originals). This will convert the MIDI/VST combination into a new audio track. If you then save your project you should see a new wav file in the project directory (in my case it's in the Audio sub directory beneath the project directory.

Judging by the name of the wav file you posted previously the above was probably not how you got your wav file before. I've no idea how Reaper would generate wav files automatically without doing the routing like b2oo1 sugested.

Last edited by Stoker; 01-31-2023 at 03:00 AM. Reason: typo
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
b2001

Stoker brings up a great point. I do this all the time. The original track with midi and vsti is kept and muted.

I wait to do this until i am satisfied with the midi track.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:54 PM   #8
zardeefonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
If you right click the track with the MIDI data and select Render/freeze tracks -> Render tracks to mono stem tracks (and mute originals). This will convert the MIDI/VST combination into a new audio track. If you then save your project you should see a new wav file in the project directory (in my case it's in the Audio sub directory beneath the project directory.

Judging by the name of the wav file you posted previously the above was probably not how you got your wav file before. I've no idea how Reaper would generate wav files automatically without doing the routing like b2oo1 sugested.
Thanks for the help. I am learning tons of new stuff everyday about Reaper. Been watching a lot of Kenny Goia videos too.