Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
stratjim1@gmail.com
Human being with feelings

Default Can't seem to monitor Reaper effectively

I've owned Reaper for a few months now and am getting very frustrated that I can't get it to work...to monitor properly. I've worked with Adobe Audition for years so I'm not a newbie to computer DAW's.
I have a hi end Win 10 computer with 16 gig of ram, Intel I-5 processor and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard. My interface is a Yamaha MG 10 XU plugged directly into the soundcard.
With Adobe, I use the ASUS ASIO drivers and experience no problems with monitoring or latency.
With Reaper if I use the ASUS drivers, I can record a signal and monitor it thru headphones while recording, but it's all distorted and echoey. Playback is also the same distorted and unusable sound.
If I use the ASIO4all drivers I can record a signal, see the meter moving, but hear nothing thru the headphones. and when I playback, again, I see the meters moving but no sound to monitor.
I've checked all the obvious (monitoring is on). When I use USB drivers (Steinberg) there is nothing, like the asio4all drivers.
any ideas?
stratjim1@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
paul_c

Options --> Preferences --> Device

Do you have a button labelled "ASIO configuration"?

If so, what options are here and have you tried some/all of them?
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
solger

As paul_c already suggested: can you please post screenshots of your current settings in Reaper (Preferences > Audio > Device) for each of the two drivers (ASUS ASIO and ASIO4ALL).
And also of the settings in the ASIO4ALL Control Panel itself.

In addition:
  • What are the values used for sample rate and buffer block size?
  • And how does the entire signal chain look like, exactly? Like, where are the headphones and monitors currently connected to?

Last edited by solger; 06-23-2020 at 01:45 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
stratjim1@gmail.com

Thanks for the prompt reply…

I’ve tried many different settings in the ASIO configs…
My headphones (AKG Studio 240) are plugged into the soundcard as are my desktop monitors (M-Audio AV-40)

Here are the screenshots of the 2 ASIO configs
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (2)a.png (52.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (1)a.png (63.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
paul_c

Unfortunately I am struggling to read the text on the screenshots. Try increasing latency to the max, if you have the control to do that.
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
solger

OK, first thing to try with the ASUS ASIO driver is to set the bit-depth in the ASIO Control Panel down to 24 bit (instead of the current 32 bit).
If this isn't enough to get better results, try raising the latency value (from the current 4ms) next - while keeping the bit-depth at 24.

The same applies for using the ASIO4ALL driver. The current buffer size of 128 samples might perhaps be too low for your system to handle.
So try raising the sample value stepwise (to 192, 256, 512, ...) to see if this makes any difference.

Side note:

It's interesting that the ASUS ASIO Control Panel in your screenshot has a 32 bit-depth option, but the ASIO4ALL Control Panel shows 24-bit (as maximum) for the ASUS Xonar.
And the specs and manual for the ASUS Xonar Essence STX also seem to only list 16 and 24 bit-depth: (ASIO Driver Support: 48K/176.4K/192K/44.1K/88.2K/96KHz @ 24bit/16bit)).

EDIT:

Just in case, also make sure that the same sample rate & bit-depth settings are used for all input/output devices in both Reaper and in the Windows Sound Settings: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-22efda8da0c2
As example: try using either 24 bit, 44100 Hz or 24 bit, 48000 Hz consistently to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by solger; 06-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
stratjim1@gmail.com

Thanks for the suggestions…here are the results

With the ASUS driver, changing to 24 bit (I always thought the more bits the better) and changing the latency made no difference. I could see the meters are recording but I can’t monitor while recording or hear it on playback. One interesting thing I discovered was that when the options screen was open with the audio device displayed, I could monitor the input ( I was speaking thru my mic and could hear, but when I closed that screen the monitoring ceased.
With the ASIO4all driver, I raised the sample value by steps up to 512 with no difference except after a few seconds this cascading rumble of feedback spread thru my listening enviorment.

Thought I’d include a screenshot of my USB config as I can’t monitor thru that either (although I see the meters moving). My mixer USB is plugged directly into my computer so I’m not sure how the soundcard would be able to work with that input.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-06-29 - Copy.png (10.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: png 2020-06-29.png (37.9 KB, 72 views)