Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-23-2021, 03:39 AM   #1
Mr. Horsemagic
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI recording timing issues / MIDI latency

Hi, all

When I record MIDI, the material gets recorded slightly ahead of what I acually played. E.g. I use a click, and play RIGHT on the beat, the midi note are around 4000 samples to the left. Which makes the playing seem rushed.

So, I can clearly hear the difference from when I'm recording (which sounds correct) as opposed to when I play it back (which sounds ahead).

I don't have MIDI recording quantizing enableded. Right now I'm using a Samson M32 midi keyboard, but had the same issue with Arturia KeyLab. Latest version of Reaper, and audio block size 128.

Is there some setting I have touched?

Many thanks,
HM
Mr. Horsemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:04 AM   #2
beingmf

Is "Preserve PDC delay ..." ticked in the recording preferences of the track? Do you have anything active in the Monitor FX?
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
Mr. Horsemagic

Thx. 'Preserve PDC delay' was not ticked.

Ticked it, and now "what I record, is what I get on playback".

So this should always be ON when recording ANY track (midi/audio) on a session that has plug-ins with delay?
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Horsemagic View Post
So this should always be ON when recording ANY track (midi/audio) on a session that has plug-ins with delay?
That's my experience, yes.
Others may chime in … (I mean why is it switchable in the first place?)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
Mr. Horsemagic

Started reading this thread, and got more confused than ever :-)
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1205336

So thanks for summing it up, that was my impression as well.
Obiously, as a player you "groove" on the material that is played back, and would want it always ON.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Goldreap

Whether to have it on or off:

1/ If direct monitoring through interface (I.E. not monitoring through REAPER) it needs to be off.

2/ The other extreme....monitoring through REAPER with FX causing obvious latency, where you play early to pull the late notes back in time....you want it on, it compensates for your early playing by moving the recorded notes later on the grid.

3/ But the tricky bit....depends on what instrument (external) you're playing, and the player, and the material, and how much latency there is, and how much latency you can tolerate.

E.G. Guitarists tend to align their note picking to the metronome (or other tracks) and not care that the notes are coming out of the speaker 20 ms or so late....depends on the material of course. And if the latency is any more than that, they just won't use those FX when recording...so 'preserve...' should be off.

E.G. A synth player might be used to hitting the keys early because a lot of pads have a bit of swell into the note anyway...the player is used to listening to the monitoring and kind of 'placing' what he hears rather than worrying about the key hits grooving. 'Preserve...' should be on.

E.G A piano player playing a busy fast solo...he probably just bangs away at the keys, his fingers grooving to the metronome (band)....same as the guitarist....'Preserve...' off.

I wonder though....4000 samples is a big compensation. Is there that much latency in your monitoring path (track + master)? Are you consciously playing early to pull the sound earlier in time?
If not, your issue might be that your interface is not reporting its latency correctly, or that it's not reporting the ratio of input to output latency correctly.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote