Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Magpies
Human being with feelings

Default Drums triggering pre programmed synth parts, live looping and beat smashing

Hi!

So we've been recording stuff with Reaper for a few months now and I've been reading people using more and more Reaper live as an alternative to Ableton Live. I too would love to use Reaper live as a midi triggerer (is that even a word?) looper and more.

I'd be very happy if someone could point me to the right path on how, if at all, these could be done on Reaper. I can experiment and read on my own, just don't know where to look. :-)

1) Triggering synth via drums

Here's Duracell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QfwKqy3LyY
He's triggering preprogrammed synth parts with piezo mics. How would this be possible at Reaper?

I got the audio to midi part sorta working (got Reasamplematic5000 to play samples), just wondering how would I set this up and how would I preprogram the synth so that it "hangs" on a part, until the midi (in this case triggered drum) is hit again?

2) Drum looping
I've tried using both Super8 and Mobius but I'd love to loop for example 8 bars at 120bpm. How would this be possible?

3) Beat smashing
I saw this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntPqc9_EP4
and thought "man, if only I could loop drums live and THEN beat smash them like this guy does! That would be awesome!"
So how would this be set up on Reaper?

As you can probably tell, I'm very new to the whole live-midi-computer-thing but I'd love to learn to use Reaper as a live tool as it seems it can do things I didn't think were possible!

Thanks in advance,

Magpies
Magpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Non-linear playback is unfortunately a weakness in Reaper. There's Playtime, a paid add-on which tries to simulate the Ableton feature, but it's just not the same.

OTOH, Reaper is good for live use due to its stability, but changing arrangements on the fly is basically limited to triggering different sections at the next measure. See if Playtime suits your needs.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Magpies

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Non-linear playback is unfortunately a weakness in Reaper. There's Playtime, a paid add-on which tries to simulate the Ableton feature, but it's just not the same.

OTOH, Reaper is good for live use due to its stability, but changing arrangements on the fly is basically limited to triggering different sections at the next measure. See if Playtime suits your needs.
I'll have to look into Playtime more! Thanks!
Magpies is offline   Reply With Quote