Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #361
alphoc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
There's no need for it at 88 kHz.

All HQ mode does is preserve the filter shapes at higher frequencies. Normally at 44.1kHz you'll see the filter shapes cramping near the highest frequency. HQ mode oversamples so that what you see are filter shapes as they would be at 88.2kHz.

If your project is at 88.2 kHz or higher you won't experience the filter shape issue and so there's no need for HQ mode's oversampling.
Thanks.
alphoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:17 AM   #362
nitsuj

Thanks for the feedback on the AGC. There was an issue I fixed which was a side effect of a JS volume plugin earlier in the chain. It might be the same problem. I'll look into it.

Can you confirm that you're using the latest version from the front page?
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 AM   #363
DaveKeehl

I can confirm there are still some pops here and there. Not as bad as the ones I had with the JS Volume Adjustments though. I'm starting to think this plugin (or perhaps just the AGC) doesn't really like when you're playing with input and output knobs on other effects in the chain.

From now on I won't be using AGC anymore to see if I get any more pops or anything.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #364
silksow

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on the AGC. There was an issue I fixed which was a side effect of a JS volume plugin earlier in the chain. It might be the same problem. I'll look into it.

Can you confirm that you're using the latest version from the front page?
Yes, downloaded from the front page a couple of days ago. I specifically confirmed with the JS vol plug after seeing your note about it in the changelog but, as mentioned, does not appear limited to that plug or the same chain / track as ReEQ. Only had a single moderate cut, but the previous poster I replied to may have something re: looking at mono to stereo. That does coincide with my experience.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 AM   #365
nitsuj

There's a new version available from the front page.

The license has been changed to MIT (from LGPL).

Two new menu options from the filter node menu. A 'Zero Gain' option which sets the node gain to zero and a 'Duplicate' option that creates a duplicate of the selected filter.

The mouse crosshair has been removed.

The AGC has been fixed. Some of the internal numbers get really small during processing and were causing issues with the RMS AGC math. Introduced an epsilon clamp check which has fixed it.

Apologies for the last one causing a bit of mayhem. Let me know if it's all ok now.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #366
alphoc

Super. What's next, big node ? I hope :-) Thanks a lot.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #367
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Nitsuj, thank you very much for ReeQ, it really is a great plugin (and a nice improvement over Reaeq !).
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #368
HDWind

Nitsuj, please add wider frequency viewing boundaries.
In particular, it would be useful to see the "30K" mark on the display.

Fabfilter Pro-Q2/Q3 allows us to view us the frequency range up to 30 kHz.

At the moment, the vertical line for 20kHz is too close to the edge and is not convenient to view. In particular, when you use High Cut filter.
On the left side you have an indent equal to 24 pixels, and on the right side only 12 pixels. It is necessary to level indents. Not enough indent!

Marks 100, 1k and 10K are currently signed at the right side of the vertical line. Please correct the position of these marks in the center of the vertical line. As it is done in FabFilter-Q2/Q3.

I asked you earlier to add new marks on the vertical lines below. Three marks at that moment are not enough for a convenient workflow.
When do you plan to do this?

You now have all the numbers on the edges (decibels and frequencies) in height of 7 pixels.
For new UHD monitors and retina displays is too small is obtained.
In what line can I increase the size of these numbers?

Last edited by HDWind; 05-20-2019 at 08:07 AM.
HDWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #369
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWind View Post
Nitsuj, please add wider frequency viewing boundaries.
In particular, it would be useful to see the "30K" mark on the display.

Fabfilter Pro-Q2/Q3 allows us to view us the frequency range up to 30 kHz.

At the moment, the vertical line for 20kHz is too close to the edge and is not convenient to view. In particular, when you use High Cut filter.
On the left side you have an indent equal to 24 pixels, and on the right side only 12 pixels. It is necessary to level indents. Not enough indent!
This probably isn't going to happen. The full range from left to right is 10Hz to 22000Hz which is the same as most commercial parametric EQs (Pro-Q3 is the outlier). 20kHz is the maximum for human hearing. Much lower is more common. Everything above that is ultrasonic and for sample rates of 44.1kHz or 48kHz there'll be nothing there at all. So it now comes down to filter shapes and I'm pretty sure you can get what you want from a high shelf or even a peak or notch placed at high frequency and adjusted accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWind
Marks 100, 1k and 10K are currently signed at the right side of the vertical line. Please correct the position of these marks in the center of the vertical line. As it is done in FabFilter-Q2/Q3.
Okay, I've done that. It'll be in the next release.

Quote:
I asked you earlier to add new marks on the vertical lines below. Three marks at that moment are not enough for a convenient workflow.
When do you plan to do this?
I wasn't planning on doing it, but... The current frequency marks were inspired by Ableton's EQ8 spectrum view. I liked the uncluttered style. However, I have added more frequencies as I do think it's useful. They'll be in the next release.

Quote:
You now have all the numbers on the edges (decibels and frequencies) in height of 7 pixels.
For new UHD monitors and retina displays is too small is obtained.
In what line can I increase the size of these numbers?
The retina fonts are a little small so I'll look into it.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #370
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Apologies for the last one causing a bit of mayhem. Let me know if it's all ok now.
Thank you so much. I'll let you know if I find anything wrong.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 AM   #371
heda

With the new version I still haven't got any of those spikes it used to have Thanks!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, one suggestion for me would be to swap the Mid and Side transparency for the spectrum when displaying "Mid + Side". Normally the side signal is less strong than the mid signal, so for me it makes sense that the Side signal would look better with less opacity than the Mid. What do you all think?

Thank you very much for ReEQ, nitsuj
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 AM   #372
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
With the new version I still haven't got any of those spikes it used to have Thanks!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, one suggestion for me would be to swap the Mid and Side transparency for the spectrum when displaying "Mid + Side". Normally the side signal is less strong than the mid signal, so for me it makes sense that the Side signal would look better with less opacity than the Mid. What do you all think?

Thank you very much for ReEQ, nitsuj
Fair point about the colour. I'm currently adding more UI things but at some point, I'm aiming to make the UI easier to customise colour wise. That'll include setting spectrum colours.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #373
pepe44

Are you ,planning / is it possible, on having multi spectral display ?
Fabfilter has this great feature of analysing has many tracks on a single spectral display has you want. (Drums, bass, guitars, etc) It´s good for frequency collision check. Voxengo SPAN plus does it has well and Blue cat multi analyser.

Thanks for you effort on this
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #374
silksow

Quote:
The AGC has been fixed. Some of the internal numbers get really small during processing and were causing issues with the RMS AGC math. Introduced an epsilon clamp check which has fixed it.

It's all okay now

Thanks again, such great work.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #375
alphoc

Is there any cpu improvement? My last project was heavier than stock Eq in the same project. I wonder if it's about the spls at the bottom. For the ReaEq 0/1024, for the Reeq 16/1024.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #376
timothys_monster

AFAIK it's mainly because of the format (JS vs. VST). Since JS is a scripting language it is less CPU efficient than a compiled VST plugin. But also the oversampling adds to the CPU increase.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #377
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Are you ,planning / is it possible, on having multi spectral display ?
Fabfilter has this great feature of analysing has many tracks on a single spectral display has you want. (Drums, bass, guitars, etc) It´s good for frequency collision check. Voxengo SPAN plus does it has well and Blue cat multi analyser.

Thanks for you effort on this
Yes, I'm going to look into adding support for this. It's on the list, just got a few other things to implement before I get to it.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #378
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
Is there any cpu improvement? My last project was heavier than stock Eq in the same project. I wonder if it's about the spls at the bottom. For the ReaEq 0/1024, for the Reeq 16/1024.
Turn HQ mode off if you don't need it. HQ mode runs the filter algorithms twice (x2 oversampling) and it also applies a stopband FIR filter. With HQ mode off you'll get a closer performance to stock EQ.

In short, with HQ mode off it runs twice as fast. For most purposes, the filter code will sound exactly the same except that you'll get the cramping for some filter shapes when they near the highest frequency - which is what you have with ReaEQ. All HQ does is do a better job of preserving those filter shapes at high frequency - at the cost of twice the CPU.

With HQ mode off you'll also get 0 latency.

It's a judgement call.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:24 AM   #379
alphoc

Great, thanks for the explanation. In this case, we will need a script that can do all the EQ HD Mode by one click on/off.

Last edited by alphoc; 05-24-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:33 AM   #380
pepe44

Quote:
Yes, I'm going to look into adding support for this. It's on the list, just got a few other things to implement before I get to it.
Great. Thanks for reply
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:47 AM   #381
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
Great, thanks for the explanation. In this case, we will need a script that can do all the EQ HD Mode by one click on/off.
I assume you mean for playback vs rendering? Is that wise though? Then you'd be balancing the mix using different filter transfer curves than when you render. I'd just use hq for ones where you have boosts or cuts in hf regions and just use normal when you don't. Just check on the spectrum whether the difference is audible.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #382
kodebode2

Nitsuj.

Thanks ever so much for adding versioning to the naming of the distribution files.

It makes such a wonderful difference, to the end user who wishes to rollback to a previous version for whatever reason.

And thanks to all the others whose informed review has contributed to the progress of these "plugins".

I now regard them as equivalent to the compiled VST EQ's, cos of their excellent workflow and ease of use., and of course they do sound great also.
kodebode2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #383
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodebode2 View Post
Nitsuj.

Thanks ever so much for adding versioning to the naming of the distribution files.

It makes such a wonderful difference, to the end user who wishes to rollback to a previous version for whatever reason.

And thanks to all the others whose informed review has contributed to the progress of these "plugins".

I now regard them as equivalent to the compiled VST EQ's, cos of their excellent workflow and ease of use., and of course they do sound great also.
Thanks! There's going to be a new release of ReEQ soon. It's almost there, just been a little snowed under with work.

After the next release I'll get it into Reapack. Stay tuned.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #384
HDWind

Good Day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
The full range from left to right is 10Hz to 22000Hz which is the same as most commercial parametric EQs (Pro-Q3 is the outlier).
I agree with you. For projects 44.1 kHz, the maximum point will be 22 kHz, and for projects 48 kHz the maximum point will be 24 kHz.
In the equalizer Fabfilter Pro-Q2/Pro-Q3 regardless of which source we work with (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz) and any "audio -> device" reaper settings 48 khz or 96 khz,
we see the maximum point of the visible range of 30kHz.
The user can easily move the band to 30 kHz maximum point.
I think this is a very convenient option in EQ Fabfilter. Because we get a distinct advantage by adjusting the slope of the High Cut Filter.
Knowingly, Design of the the FF Equalizer is the best for this time today's and is recognized by many reputable publications in the press.
It is useful to take good ideas from FF for yourself and refine design, making new advantages.

We also need dont forget that there are many users who work with the internal "audio -> device" reaper settings, equivalent to 96Khz.
Example: If we work in a DMG EQulibrium with a 44.1 kHz source, we see 22 kHz the maximum point of the range.
But if we use the internal settings audio device equal to 96 khz, then in the equalizer we see the maximum range equal to 40 kHz.
It is also very convenient in operation, to see the extended range outside 22 kHz.

Of course, 40 kHz is an unnecessary range, I think that 30 kHz will be enough in operation.
I ask you to think about it and implement this functionality in future releases.
I propose to take as a basis the extended range from FabFilter Pro-Q2/Q3, so that we can also freely move the range up to 30 khz and modify it slightly.
The distance between the 20 kHz and 30 kHz points should be equal to the distance between the 10 khz and 20 khz points, in pixels.
And please add two vertical lines in the extended range, 22 khz and 24 khz, without bottom signatures.
This would be the most convenient and universal visual option in the work.

Last edited by HDWind; 06-09-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #385
brainwreck

Very cool nitsuj!

It seems like every time I come into this section of the forum anymore there is some really cool new thing (or new to me thing).
Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #386
DaveKeehl

Any news on future updates?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #387
silksow

Quote:
After the next release I'll get it into Reapack. Stay tuned.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #388
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWind View Post
Good Day!

I agree with you. For projects 44.1 kHz, the maximum point will be 22 kHz, and for projects 48 kHz the maximum point will be 24 kHz.
In the equalizer Fabfilter Pro-Q2/Pro-Q3 regardless of which source we work with (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz) and any "audio -> device" reaper settings 48 khz or 96 khz,
we see the maximum point of the visible range of 30kHz.
The user can easily move the band to 30 kHz maximum point.
I think this is a very convenient option in EQ Fabfilter. Because we get a distinct advantage by adjusting the slope of the High Cut Filter.
Knowingly, Design of the the FF Equalizer is the best for this time today's and is recognized by many reputable publications in the press.
It is useful to take good ideas from FF for yourself and refine design, making new advantages.

We also need dont forget that there are many users who work with the internal "audio -> device" reaper settings, equivalent to 96Khz.
Example: If we work in a DMG EQulibrium with a 44.1 kHz source, we see 22 kHz the maximum point of the range.
But if we use the internal settings audio device equal to 96 khz, then in the equalizer we see the maximum range equal to 40 kHz.
It is also very convenient in operation, to see the extended range outside 22 kHz.

Of course, 40 kHz is an unnecessary range, I think that 30 kHz will be enough in operation.
I ask you to think about it and implement this functionality in future releases.
I propose to take as a basis the extended range from FabFilter Pro-Q2/Q3, so that we can also freely move the range up to 30 khz and modify it slightly.
The distance between the 20 kHz and 30 kHz points should be equal to the distance between the 10 khz and 20 khz points, in pixels.
And please add two vertical lines in the extended range, 22 khz and 24 khz, without bottom signatures.
This would be the most convenient and universal visual option in the work.
If it was trivial to extend the frequency range to 30kHz I'd do it. At sample rates of 44.1 and 48kHz though it's not. Comparing with Pro-Q3...I mean, as you say it's regarded by many as best in class. It's a tough benchmark especially as I'm working on ReEQ in my spare time for fun and offering it for free. So I have to prioritise. I won't take 30kHz off the table but it'll take some time to figure it out. It may require a complete overhaul of the filter code by which I'll have to consider whether it's important enough.

I could look into a compromise and extend to 30kHz at higher sample rates but if you placed a filter that high and then reduced the sample rate, the math would blow up.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #389
nitsuj

Hello all!

There's an update available on the front page.

Updates:

* Added filter node panel and toggle.
* Added more frequency labels, now centred, in bottom spectrum row.
* Mouse tracking frequency now also centred.
* Enlarged filter nodes and added node index.
* Improved node stereo indicators.

The main update is the introduction of a filter node panel which is enabled by default. It appears when a filter node is selected. You can alter the usual EQ filter properties here and you can also cycle forwards and backwards through the nodes. The listen button in this panel switches the whole EQ into listen mode which enables you to move through the nodes in listen mode.

The filter nodes are now larger and have a number associated with them. I've also made the filter node stereo indicators look nicer.

The filter panel can be enabled or disabled using the 'PANEL' toggle button at the bottom of the window.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #390
sinkmusic

Thank you, Nitsuj !
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #391
Esteban_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_M View Post
It has almost all the features I've liked from different plugins. Maybe one improvement idea would be to add the filter number in the node so it's easier to know which filter you want to automate
Quote:
The filter nodes are now larger and have a number associated with them.
Just today I realized I was not subscribed to this thread. Been using ReEQ since January and its my fav EQ so far. Glad to see so many new features, fixes and even a special one I was looking for back then!

Thanks for everything nitsuj!

estebanmmusic.carrd.co
Esteban_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #392
sinkmusic

Hello
A couple nitpicks, if you don't mind (nothing important, it's just for the sake of perfection ):

- When opening an instance, the default size doesn't allow for the bottom bar to be fully displayed ("AGC" is cut). I don't think that i have a custom default size/preset, and i'm on Windows, if that matters...

- I think that Windows doesn't render the fonts as crisp as on Mac, so the freq, gain and Q values can be a bit hard to read at default values : maybe it would be possible to use slightly bigger fonts ?
Also, some rounded border seems a bit "off" ?

- Also, it doesn't seem possible to change the values from the bottom "pop up panel", am i correct ? It would be nice if we could change the Gain, frequency and Q values from there...

Very nice work, it's a great enhancement over the "stock" Reaeq
Old 06-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #393
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Hello
A couple nitpicks, if you don't mind (nothing important, it's just for the sake of perfection ):

- When opening an instance, the default size doesn't allow for the bottom bar to be fully displayed ("AGC" is cut). I don't think that i have a custom default size/preset, and i'm on Windows, if that matters...

- I think that Windows doesn't render the fonts as crisp as on Mac, so the freq, gain and Q values can be a bit hard to read at default values : maybe it would be possible to use slightly bigger fonts ?
Also, some rounded border seems a bit "off" ?

- Also, it doesn't seem possible to change the values from the bottom "pop up panel", am i correct ? It would be nice if we could change the Gain, frequency and Q values from there...

Very nice work, it's a great enhancement over the "stock" Reaeq
Thanks for the feedback. There are a few anomalies there that I'll look in to. The text in the buttons is vertically misplaced and the button boxes in some cases are a pixel too shallow.

I'll alter the size of the default window to accommodate the bottom buttons.

You can alter the Gain, Frequency and Q values in the panel. Click on the dials and drag the mouse up and down respectively. Having said that, there's no indication that you can do that so I'll put something in to make it clearer and expand the dial collision circles to encompass the numbers.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #394
sinkmusic

Quote:
You can alter the Gain, Frequency and Q values in the panel. Click on the dials and drag the mouse up and down respectively. Having said that, there's no indication that you can do that so I'll put something in to make it clearer and expand the dial collision circles to encompass the numbers.
Sorry, i was unclear : Yes, we can change the values by clicking and dragging the knobs in the panel, but it doesn't respond to mousewheeling (which is great to change the Q), and neither we can double click to enter the value with the num pad (which is handy to enter specific freqencies).
Both features are somewhat usual in various other eQ plugins, so it would make anyone "feel at home" if it was possible to have ReeQ behaving the same at some point, if possible
Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #395
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Sorry, i was unclear : Yes, we can change the values by clicking and dragging the knobs in the panel, but it doesn't respond to mousewheeling (which is great to change the Q), and neither we can double click to enter the value with the num pad (which is handy to enter specific freqencies).
Both features are somewhat usual in various other eQ plugins, so it would make anyone "feel at home" if it was possible to have ReeQ behaving the same at some point, if possible
Mouse wheel is easy to add so that'll go in. Oh, I'll make the numbers under the dials larger too.

You'll notice that this version captures all keyboard input. That may or may not be in preparation for numeric value entry. And I already may or may not have some test code for doing just that....
Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #396
sinkmusic

Thank you very much !
Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #397
sai'ke

Very nice man!

It's great to see that you're still pushing this beaut forward! Even though I'm an audio first kinda guy, I do like the visual improvements!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 AM   #398
alphoc

In the previous version I noticed something; video window does not work when I add reeq. So the video is not visible. I hope not anymore.

Very cool update. If the node is a bit larger it will be super, a little bit larger. Thanks a lot everything.

Last edited by alphoc; 06-11-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #399
HDWind

Nitsuj
Thank you very much for the new version and the added innovations.

I found dificulty in work process, in new version.
Example: If I first click on the playback in the reaper, and then move any band in the equalizer.
Onward, then does not work playback through a spacebar, on the keyboard.
The focus of the window changes and the hot keys stop working.

If I pressed the spacebar to play in the reaper, nothing happens.
In previously version (19th May 2019), everything was normal and playback always worked.
Please fix it.

Last edited by HDWind; 06-11-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:25 AM   #400
DaveKeehl

Oh my f****** god I'm so overwhelmed!!!!!!! This is freaking awesome!!!