Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #41
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

I absolutely love the gradient on the CCs but I also think that it's not helpful in the velocity lane.
Reason: the velocity can be judged by the color. If we have a gradient here, the reception of the color is blurred. Just my 2 cents.

I also experienced the velocity bars to be very hard to grab due to their thinness.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #42
Tod

There's one more small thing that I think could improve for selecting the velocity bars/handles. Right now if a selected note overlaps the next note, you have to double click to un-select the longer note.

That's better then having to click somewhere else, double clicking is quick an easy, but several hours of double clicking can be a little rough on the index finger.

Would it be possible to have a single click, un-select the longer note, while selecting the closest previous not.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #43
gofer
-blänk-

I agree with no gradient on velocity sticks would probably be better.

But actually I wanted to go back to thinking about which rows of the colormaps are used to retrieve the color of stuff, referring to
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think previously one part of the code was using colormap row 64 for unselected events, and the other was using 32, so we made them both 32 for consistency. But I think this can just as easily be 64, if that's preferable.
I don't think row 64 would be preferable for unselected events, as it is the border color for unselected notes in editable items and the active item. In many maps these are black, so it's good that you didn't chose to use row 64 (alas, you stayed with row 32). Similarly row 129 (bottommost) which is now used for selected events is not the best choice, methinks, because it forces the themer to find a color that has good visibility in CC lanes and also serves its purpose well as a note border color.

In an ideal world velocity/CC events would have a row of their own in the colormap that is not otherwise used. That's why I was so happy with 0505, as (at least on my 1080p monitor) rows 1 (unselected) and 65 (selected) never came up elsewhere but on velocities, so I was totally free to choose any velocity color I want without messing up anything else. If you had chosen to use the same rows for CC events I would have been a happy camper.

Side note: In a similar way I am not happy with using rows 2 and 66 to tint notes on secondary items. It limits the use of gradients on notes, because we have to take care that for example channel colors stay similar enough to the active item so that the user can still see which channel a given note is on. (that's an area where my old colormaps which are mentioned in these pre threads fail miserably and why I went (reluctantly) with relatively flat notes.

As said, a new set of rows in the colormap would be ideal, but if that isn't feasible because of compatibility reasons, I'd vote for rows 1 and 65 - it just needs to be made sure that these rows aren't used on notes or CC gradients on 4k monitors (can't test that here).. These rows could, albeit not ideally - also serve to set secondary item notes colors, too.
It would give us a complete new section in the colormap without adding a single pixel. That's pretty efficient, no?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #44
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I agree with ED. I think no gradient on the velocity stick would be better. It is a bit unclear to me. Also, I'd prefer to see the stick a bit wider.
Totally agree
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #45
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
But actually I wanted to go back to thinking about which rows of the colormaps are used to retrieve the color of stuff, referring to
Yes, Whatever we have to do to go back to the colormaps we've always been using, I'd prefer that. I haven't been able to use any of the latest three updates.

Or if we are going to change the color maps, can someone update the color map tutorial so we know which rows mean what in the midi editor that would be helpful.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #46
Klangfarben

Every please chime in regarding color maps on the dev 0508 thread as Schwa has asked for specific feedback there.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...66&postcount=5
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote