Old 04-27-2019, 03:40 AM   #1
Big A
Human being with feelings

Default Another Melodyne problem

I would have thought that the ARA integration would have solved a lot of the problems with using Melodyne in Reaper. However, sometimes the audio shows up and sometime it don’t in the editor window. This morning I can’t get the audio to show up in Melodyne at all. Last night it worked beautifully and I had all my edits done and FORGOT TO SAVE MY WORK. Then reaper shutdown after a runtime error message popped up when trying to load Komplete Control on a midi track! Lost all my work. I am posting a note on my monitor “ SAVE YOUR WORK DUMMY!”. I wish there was still an option to manually scan the audio in but I don’t see it. Anyone found a solution to this issue? Or has anyone else even had this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Adam.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
grinder

Sorry for the hijack Big A
Well I am having trouble too
I have ARA Melodyne opening well on a track
I wish to save file after processing into a midi file.
The trouble for me is Melodyne plug in seems not to have the correct copied tempo changes from Reaper .
I have tempo at 120 in 2/4 on bar 40 then tempo 137 in 4/4 on bar 41 to the end.
Melodyne plugin has as it's tempo as 157 or there about's.
You can guess the rest. I tried changing the tempo to 137 as in Reaper and when imported into Reaper it was so slow...
How do I get the correct tempos into Melodyne plugin?
I am at this time visually impaired but have tried to figure this one out on my own.
On loading the file the rate sounds correct with the wrong rate in Melodyne, on export the rate is wrong. (
Looking for a kind soul to shed some light on this for me please.
Okay I tried again this time the tempo was advertized as 137/157 whatever is meant by that.
I highlighted the track from the bar that starts tempo 137 and exported for midi.
The file that comes back is the whole track long so I deposit this at bar 1.
This melodyne midi file changes my whole timing rate so no good.
I am doing something wrong?
Grinder
Turned of tempo edit 04/28/2019 still the same result.
I just want to do this........
I just want to place a wave file in Melodyne and export it as middi and have it play back from
whence it came at the same tempo as when it left?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Coachz

Melodyne seems to have made Reaper users beta testers. The bit I tested it, it seemed really half baked.

Coachz Repo

Last edited by Coachz; 04-28-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:16 AM   #4
Big A

Default Working again... for now...

It's okay Grinder. I hate that you are having problems too. Hopefully Reaper and or Melodyne will get it together. Perhaps it is because of the tempo change mid song? I've not had a problem with that, but I do know that any timing edits need to be done inside Melodyne if it is EVER going to be used on a track. Not on the Reaper waveform.
So I went back to the project after several hours and the same thing. Opened Melodyne on the track and the audio did not appear in the editor. So then I removed the single disabled channel strip plugin I had on the track. Same thing. I have previously had plugins on a track while opening Melodyne and it worked fine. ARA always opens the audio as the first plugin. So then I marked a point a couple of measures before audio began on the track, and put the transport in PAUSE instead of STOP - and low and behold it worked. I do not know if any of this had anything to do with it finally being successful, but maybe it did and maybe it can help someone else experiencing the same problem. Anyway, hopefully it will continue to work. I love Reaper. In my opinion it is the greatest value in the recording world period. But I also want to be able to use my whole arsenal of tools.

Big A
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
grinder

I thought i was on a winner BigA Melodyne opens as a plugin with a great flourish here.
I had no trouble with the last version of Melodyne as far as changes of tempo that is the strange thing for me although I have to say I never tried the midi thing.
I will experiment and save a normal wave file I should have done that already.
I hope you find a way around your troubles.
If I have problems with a wave file I will contact Celemony.
I am a big fan of the inventor he was ahead of his time. this may be just
one of those hiccups.

Grinder
Old 04-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Okay I tried again this time the tempo was advertized as 137/157 whatever is meant by that.
I highlighted the track from the bar that starts tempo 137 and exported for midi.
The file that comes back is the whole track long so I deposit this at bar 1.
This melodyne midi file changes my whole timing rate so no good.
I am doing something wrong?
Grinder
Turned of tempo edit 04/28/2019 still the same result.
I just want to do this........
I just want to place a wave file in Melodyne and export it as middi and have it play back from
whence it came at the same tempo as when it left?
You say "the file that comes back..." what version of REAPER are you using? These are the current MIDI import options:

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 AM   #7
grinder

I have Windows 7 pro fully updated
Current version of Reaper is the latest

Hello Schwa
I have VST3 Melodyne on a wave track when I open Melodyne (fx only one in FX)

I then ask Melodyne to export said wave file as a midi file.

After export the midi file is never the same length as the original wave file.

Interestingly if I remove the vst Melodyne from the track and later bring a new Melodyne into fx for that track the wave file is not in Melodyne as it was before.
To get that wave file back in the vst Melodyne I have to insert a new track and a new copy of vst Melodyne to that track.

This may be similar to what Big A is experiencing.

I am a bit of an idiot with these things Schwa but thanks for casting an eye over these things.
I see your screen shot and see one place I have not gone beside parameters
I will report back tomorrow after I have done more research.

Many thanks

Grinder
Old 04-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
Burnsjethro

I say schwa, I have never used that "+" button on Melodyne. What are all those options?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

I can't speak to whatever happens when you choose "save as MIDI" within Melodyne. If you want to import the detected notes as MIDI into REAPER, you should use the "ARA: Import into project > Notes" menu item as in the screenshot above. This should make sure the tempo is properly matched with the project.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #10
Burnsjethro

Thanks for your reply. What would be the advantage of that.
At the moment I do the tuning or quantizing work with Melodyne and then just save the whole project!
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote