Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-12-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
tonybeepbeep
Human being with feelings

Default Item border thickness in Reaper 6 themes?

Apologies if I have used the incorrect term here

Is it possible to have a border around the peaks of each take/wav like in the image below?

Works well in the FL Studio theme, but I think that's based on a Reaper 4 default?

tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Options > Preferences > Appearance > Peaks/Waveforms > Draw edges on waveforms. This option may be greyed out if it has been disabled by the theme.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Options > Preferences > Appearance > Peaks/Waveforms > Draw edges on waveforms. This option may be greyed out if it has been disabled by the theme.
Cheers WT.

Sadly it's been greyed out, but that info has helped me though

Nice one.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Further to my last answer, is there a design rationale for disabling that option?

To my eyes at least, on a monitor that's seen better days it's a good option
Old 03-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
is there a design rationale for disabling that option?
Yes, many. When designing a theme you have to balance a lot (too many, I would argue) of indications using nothing but colour, in an environment where , on top of that, the user can apply a custom colour. So the themer can set it so that, no matter what the user has set for certain preferences (since they are system wide - they are not theme specific), the theme can ignore the setting. This is represented by them being greyed out, which I agree isn't perhaps the best way of communicating that

Anyhoo, if you read the stickies in this forum to learn how to unpack and refresh a theme, you can go into the rtconfig.txt file and tell the theme to start listening to those preferences, by commenting out the tinttcp line. In the Default 6 theme that would be:

Code:
change 
tinttcp 298

...too...

;tinttcp 298
Old 03-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Yes, many. When designing a theme you have to balance a lot (too many, I would argue) of indications using nothing but colour, in an environment where , on top of that, the user can apply a custom colour. So the themer can set it so that, no matter what the user has set for certain preferences (since they are system wide - they are not theme specific), the theme can ignore the setting. This is represented by them being greyed out, which I agree isn't perhaps the best way of communicating that

Anyhoo, if you read the stickies in this forum to learn how to unpack and refresh a theme, you can go into the rtconfig.txt file and tell the theme to start listening to those preferences, by commenting out the tinttcp line. In the Default 6 theme that would be:

Code:
change 
tinttcp 298

...too...

;tinttcp 298
As a teacher and parent I totally get the thought behind greying things out. For me at least, in Reaper it's not as annoying as the old days of Windows greying random things out.

As for the coding, I occasionally pop my head in that sticky, admire the work and then leave with my tail between my legs.

Now that my school is closed for a few weeks it may be a good time to learn how to edit code.

Cheers for the big hints