Old 04-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
matthew_8strings
Human being with feelings

Default Reamping with Axe FX III

Greetings all!

This is my first post, and I'm eager to learn more about reamping with my Axe FX III. I've been trying to follow the owners manual, but it stated that the process they discuss is a very broad and general method to reamping. I've followed the steps as best as I could, but I'm still coming up empty handed. So far I've tried the following:

1) Set the Axe FX as the soundcard
2) Changed the input I/O setting on the Axe FX to USB
3) Recorded my guitar DI that I want to practice reamping with
4) Tried setting up the outputs in Reaper so I could record the reamp tone

I've been able to playback the DI and successfully process the tone (tested by changing the tone on the Axe FX to ensure that the DI is in fact being processed), but for the life of me can not figure out how to record the processed sound.

I'm extremely new to reamping, so pardon any n00bie questions that I will most likely be asking.

Thanks in advance!
matthew_8strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Stella645

The steps in the manual seem to cover it pretty well.

So you got as far as hearing the DI being processed by the Axe FX (which is step 3).
Assuming you changed the output to 5/6 as instructed.

So you now create a new track, set input of track to AxeFx inputs 1/2 and record (with record monitor off or you'll get a feedback loop.)

2. Change the output of your “DI” track to Axe-Fx III Output 5/6.
3. To demonstrate that re-amping is working, choose a totally different preset on your Axe-Fx III. Solo your DI
track, then rewind and hit PLAY. You should hear the DI being processed by your new Axe-Fx III preset.
4. Record the re-amp. Create a stereo track. Name this track something like “Guitar Re-Amp 1”. Set its inputs to Axe-Fx III Inputs 1+2.
5. Arm your re-amping track for recording, making sure that Software/Input Monitoring is NOT enabled.
6. Rewind, hit RECORD, and roll the track. The output of the preset is recorded.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #3
matthew_8strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
The steps in the manual seem to cover it pretty well.

So you got as far as hearing the DI being processed by the Axe FX (which is step 3).
Assuming you changed the output to 5/6 as instructed.

So you now create a new track, set input of track to AxeFx inputs 1/2 and record (with record monitor off or you'll get a feedback loop.)

2. Change the output of your “DI” track to Axe-Fx III Output 5/6.
3. To demonstrate that re-amping is working, choose a totally different preset on your Axe-Fx III. Solo your DI
track, then rewind and hit PLAY. You should hear the DI being processed by your new Axe-Fx III preset.
4. Record the re-amp. Create a stereo track. Name this track something like “Guitar Re-Amp 1”. Set its inputs to Axe-Fx III Inputs 1+2.
5. Arm your re-amping track for recording, making sure that Software/Input Monitoring is NOT enabled.
6. Rewind, hit RECORD, and roll the track. The output of the preset is recorded.
I was able to get it to work. I missed one piece, and that was throwing me off. I completely overlooked the "turn off software/input monitoring. Ugh, always has to be something stupid easy. Thank you for taking time for checking in on me. I appreciate it.
matthew_8strings is offline   Reply With Quote