Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-15-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Expand Reaper's audio output format abilities, how?

Reaper can export a number of audio formats - including MP3, FLAC, OGG and more.

Is there some way to expand the number of different formats that Reaper can output? For example ALAC, AAC, WMA, AC3 and other formats?
I am talking about rendering from within Reaper, not some external GUI.

I have recently read that Reaper's ability to import and transcode/encode video formats can be increased by implementing FFMPEG as an exernal plugin set. Perhaps this, or something similar, can be used to expand Reaper's ability to encode more audio formats than it offers by default?

Would love to know if this is possible somehow, even if this requires advanced operations.

thx
Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Philbo King

I may be mistaken, but I think these are formats proprietary to Microsoft (WMA) & Apple (the others).

If true, they're not going to hand out encoder software for free, not to you, and not to Justin. Somebody correct me if I'm off base here...

You'd have to run the audio into their proprietary media player(s) and direct the output to a file. I'd recommend rendering to a 32bit WAV from Reaper, at appropriate levels, if you do this.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:01 AM   #3
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post

Is there some way to expand the number of different formats that Reaper can output?
It's possible to write C++ extension plugins that add new output formats. (Regarding Philbo King's post : Of course it's up to the developer to deal with any possible codec licensing etc issues.)

The Reaper developers could probably make the audio file rendering use ffmpeg too, to enable more formats. Maybe make a feature request? (It's not a thing users can enable at the moment with any trick for audio, ffmpeg is only enabled for rendering video files.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 02-25-2020 at 05:09 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Colox

Yes. Some of the formats I was thinking of are proprietary. But that hasn't stopped a few other DAWs from implementing them. But I guess it's a matter of negotiation and licencing. Reaper seems to be a part of the alternative, free open-source culture and the filters Reaper presently offers reflects that.

I was asking about this, mainly because it would just be more comfortable. Lessen the need for external converters (or re-importing the audio in the program and re-encoding it). And since tools like FFMPEG are out there it might've been possible to utilize it.

FFMPEG may not contain all the best converter filters for each format, but it's free, and open-source and a very versatile tool (for anyone who knows scripting at least).

I don't know about feature requests. Feels to me like a shot in the dark, like nothing happens anyway.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
tbnicnac

@Xenakios, could I ask for any more info about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
It's possible to write C++ extension plugins that add new output formats.
Are there any examples of this approach to take a look at?

I'm interested in implementing .mp2 audio rendering, likely using TwoLAME (which is LGPL). Surprised someone hasn't already!

Thanks.
tbnicnac is offline   Reply With Quote