Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
Getstew
Human being with feelings

Default Apple Silicon Beta or Intel build?

So opinion… Apple Silicon beta 6.29 build seems super stable, but it is still a beta.
Do you think it would be better to use that or the Intel the version for 10.15+ through Rosetta 2?
I have the new M1 Mini with 16 GB of RAM.

Nothing too intense it’s for a podcast... So, stable recording for one hour plus - straight (hopefully no clicks or pops ideally) coming from a USB mixer. A couple minor edits and lay in an intro and Outro.

Using compression, Reafir, ReaEQ, Regate and Loudmax for plug-ins. All can be used for either build.
I know there is a large difference in Render speed. Anything else? Which do you think is the better bet?
Getstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:48 AM   #2
lexaproductions

The beta seems better I think. I’ve had weird project parsing behaviour on the intel version that was cleared by the arm build.
So far I didn’t experience any oddities in the beta build.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
Getstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
The beta seems better I think. I’ve had weird project parsing behaviour on the intel version that was cleared by the arm build.
So far I didn’t experience any oddities in the beta build.
Thanks for this info!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
EpicSounds

if only using stock plugins, ARM build. If you use 3rd party fx, then Intel Catalina build.

You can install both and see.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
Getstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
if only using stock plugins, ARM build. If you use 3rd party fx, then Intel Catalina build.

You can install both and see.
Thanks. Are you saying that just based on what will be compatible or how they run? I use Youlean's Loudness Meter, TDR's Kotelnikov and Loudmaxx.
Now that these plugs are M1 optimized, there's no reason to think they don't work well, right?

Appreciate it...
Old 06-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
EpicSounds

For me its AIR, izoptope, Arturia, SoundToys, IK Multimedia, and others that I'm waiting for.
Also the CSI extension.

Some Audio Unit plugins will work, but I prefer to use VST / VST3 whenever possible.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:32 AM   #7
Goofball Jones

I've been on the ARM64 version now for the past month and it's working fine. All my x86 VSTs are working except for Massive X, but that doesn't work in anything and will crash whatever DAW you're using. It just doesn't work under Rosetta 2.

But everything else, Arturia, Izotope, Native Instruments (except Massive X as mentioned above) and such, work fine. Plus, the overhead is MUCH lower on REAPER in ARM64 than it is on Ableton. Some of my VSTs are already switched over to Universal apps, such as Pro-Q and such.

My only gripe is that the x86 vsts don't go in the FX window. Not sure if they're working on that, but when you load one, two windows pop up: the FX window, then another window with the VST itself. It may be that I don't know how to combine them, but I think it has to do with the "reaper_host_x86_64" app that launches.

BTW, I'm using the latest Big Sur on a M1 Mac Mini.

Here's what I mean about two windows popping up with an x86 vst:

https://i.imgur.com/wiqnZ8x.png

Last edited by Goofball Jones; 06-26-2021 at 01:40 AM.
Goofball Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #8
EpicSounds

x86 is 32 bit, so it's bridged. Actually I'm surprised the arturia installer did that.

use the 64 bit VST3
Old 06-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #9
Goofball Jones

Hmm, the only VST from arturia that is showing up are the x86 ones and the AU ones. No Arturia plug-ins show up under the VST3 or VST3i categories. Same goes for all the Native Instruments plug-ins.

Yeah, I cleared the cache and rescanned the plugins, and the Arturia and other VST3 plug-ins, other than the ones that are written for Apple Silicon, aren't showing up in ARM64 REAPER. I checked, and the VST3 plug-ins DO show up in Ableton 11 (which is still only x86) and Bitwig 4 beta 5 (which is written for Apple Silicon).

EDIT: Yeah, has to be the ARM64 version of REAPER that's doing it, as I just fired up the Intel version and all the VST3s are showing up. I'm sure they mentioned that somewhere in the release notes, but I just didn't see it. But it makes sense now.

Last edited by Goofball Jones; 06-26-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #10
Getstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
Hmm, the only VST from arturia that is showing up are the x86 ones and the AU ones. No Arturia plug-ins show up under the VST3 or VST3i categories. Same goes for all the Native Instruments plug-ins.

Yeah, I cleared the cache and rescanned the plugins, and the Arturia and other VST3 plug-ins, other than the ones that are written for Apple Silicon, aren't showing up in ARM64 REAPER. I checked, and the VST3 plug-ins DO show up in Ableton 11 (which is still only x86) and Bitwig 4 beta 5 (which is written for Apple Silicon).

EDIT: Yeah, has to be the ARM64 version of REAPER that's doing it, as I just fired up the Intel version and all the VST3s are showing up. I'm sure they mentioned that somewhere in the release notes, but I just didn't see it. But it makes sense now.
Having a similar experience with a Focusrite app I used on a past project now. AUs are there, but nothing else. They are working on it.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #11
Goofball Jones

Just found another VST3 plug-in that won't work in ARM64 version of REAPER: Stochas. It works fine in the x86 version, but it doesn't even show up in ARM64, which is weird because their Surge synth is now a Universal plug-in...compiled for both ARM64 and x86.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Getstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
Just found another VST3 plug-in that won't work in ARM64 version of REAPER: Stochas. It works fine in the x86 version, but it doesn't even show up in ARM64, which is weird because their Surge synth is now a Universal plug-in...compiled for both ARM64 and x86.
Hopefully, they'll catch up. Last I heard, Focusrite said they were working on it, and they'd be a while.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:38 AM   #13
Goofball Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getstew View Post
Hopefully, they'll catch up. Last I heard, Focusrite said they were working on it, and they'd be a while.
It's working now with the latest version of ARM64 Reaper, but of course only as a x86 vst3.

And not sure what Focusrite has to do with Stochas, as Stochas is a open-source project by the same people that do the Surge open source synth.