Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default MFXlist, ReaScript implementation of left docker FX-list...

Here is the beta release (v0.9.8) of MFXlist, a an FX-list that lives to the left of the TCP for easy access of the track FX. MFXlist packages existing functionality into a better (in my opinion) user interface than the existing native implementation, the used screen estate is simply smaller.

(Click the picture for larger and animated image)

MFXlist was developed on Windows, and Reaper v6.19/x64. It uses the js_ReaScriptAPI extension (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212174), which is available also for Linux and Mac, so the script should work also on those systems, but I have not tried it on Linux.

The script is available from GitHub https://github.com/martinfabian/MFXlist, where you will also find installation instructions and other documentation.

MFXlist does not work on Reaper v5 or earlier.

MFXlist works on Mac now (from v0.9.4beta)

MFXlist can now be installed from the ReaPack extension, this would seem to be the absolutely easiest way. Also the js_ReaScriptAPI extension can be installed via ReaPack. So no need to go Github hunting.

MFXlist v0.9.5 beta is now available from ReaPack. Presets now work correctly, and an example preset file with the settings that are reasonable to customize is available from here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma.../MFXpreset.lua. Right-click and Save as.. "MFXpreset.lua" (or whatever) in the same folder as you have the MFXlist script (if you installed through ReaPack this will be Scripts\ReaTeam Scripts\FX). The good thing with presets is that these do not get overwritten by updates of the main script.

MFXlist 0.9.6 beta is now available from ReaPack. The main addition is a switch to prefix FX names with their type.

MFXlist 0.9.7beta is soon available from ReaPack. This version improves the handling of FX types. It also adds the possibility to have named FX for easy access on the right-click menu. The preset file has been updated for customizing the easy access FXs; look for MFXlist.MENU_QUICKFX.

MFXlist 0.9.8beta is now available from ReaPack. Mouse modifiers to offline FX has now changed to Shift+Ctrl/Cmd which is what Reaper uses. The right-click menu has been improved, notably a bug was fixed. The alternative FX browser should hopefully work now. The preset file has also been updated, some silly typos were fixed. Note that to use an alternative FX browser, you should put the command ID of the FX browser that you want to use in place of the "nil" that is there in the preset file.

MFXlist 0.9.9beta is soon available from ReaPack. The major fix is the auto-float of FX added from the right-click menu. With the Preferences > Plug-ins > Auto-float newly created FX windows setting turned on, MFXlist did not float the newly added FX. Now it does.

Last edited by Fabian; 08-09-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
gxray

Amazing, downloading right now! Thanks for sharing with us =)

---

Edit: I just noticed that you have a test suite which mocks/stubs REAPER methods so that you can headlessly/programmatically test and make assertions.

This is really brilliant, not seen this before:
Code:
-- I know there is a bug lurking in MFXlist concerning the binary search for the first (partly) visible track
-- This tries to fidn that bug by generating random examples of "track lists" and run the binary search on those
-- This does not run in Reaper, but replaces reaper specific commands by pure lua functions

Last edited by gxray; 01-23-2021 at 11:04 AM.
gxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
X-Raym

Excellent ! Thank you for sharing !

Any help needed setting this as reapack repo ?

--

@gxray
How wow ! Fabian, you have to tell us more about this headless thing !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
acendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
... reapack repo ?
Seconding this! Would love to have this on ReaPack
acendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Fabian

Quote:
Excellent ! Thank you for sharing !

Any help needed setting this as reapack repo ?

--

@gxray
How wow ! Fabian, you have to tell us more about this headless thing !
Yes, please let me in on how this can be set up as a ReaPack repo. I did copy some header stuff from some ReaPack script, but that is as far as I dared go.

As for the "headless" thing, I simply mocked up the function calls for a few Reaper API functions. It is in the testingFindFirstTrackBinary.lua file.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
vitalker

Looks cool!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
X-Raym

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Yes, please let me in on how this can be set up as a ReaPack repo.
Ok, we will help you with this :P It is not too hard but easier with assistance for sure !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
acendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Yes, please let me in on how this can be set up as a ReaPack repo...
Check out the 'reapack-index' page for instructions on setting up a ReaPack-compatible repository!

https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-index/wiki
acendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
vitalker

Quote:
Ok, we will help you with this :P It is not too hard but easier with assistance for sure !
Haha, why?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
cfillion

Quote:
Yes, please let me in on how this can be set up as a ReaPack repo. I did copy some header stuff from some ReaPack script, but that is as far as I dared go.
There is no need to create a new ReaPack repository for sharing a single script. The ReaTeam repository is there for that: https://reapack.com/upload.

If you prefer to manage your own ReaPack repository, this template for automating reapack-index using GitHub Actions might be useful: https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-repository-template.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #11
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
There is no need to create a new ReaPack repository for sharing a single script. The ReaTeam repository is there for that: https://reapack.com/upload.

If you prefer to manage your own ReaPack repository, this template for automating reapack-index using GitHub Actions might be useful: https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-repository-template.
OK, thanks.

Yeah, I guess setting up a ReaPack repo for sharing a single script that is only a single file is overkill.

The easier, the merrier
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #12
vdubreeze

Thank you, Fabian!
Old 01-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #13
x-tropic

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Reaper 6.21

Empty window in dock, without insert stripes.
x-tropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #14
Jae.Thomas

assert(hwnd, "Could not get TCP HWND, cannot do much now, sorry")

or

MFX-list.lua:1287: Could not get TCP HWND, cannot do much now, sorry
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #15
J Reverb

Thanks Fabian
So good !
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 AM   #16
PhelixK

Hi, great!
I'm glad to see there's an ongoing interest in having TCP Fx and perhaps the Sends in this very convenient form.

Not sure if you plan to support the script on mac. I'm thinking, without facilities to test it might be difficult

Anyway, if of any use to you, here's a gif that shows MFXlist on macOSX14.6.
https://i.imgur.com/rfEtNXz.gif

The script opens, but it doesn't adjust the track coordinates correctly. Also once the window is floating, it's impossible to re-dock as there's no available window menu or tab to grab. Perhaps I missed something from the instructions, or there's another way to dock it using the API.

Checked as well on a Win10 WM where it seems to work as intended at this point. Haven't tried with macOS Catalina or Big Sur.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #17
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post
assert(hwnd, "Could not get TCP HWND, cannot do much now, sorry")

or

MFX-list.lua:1287: Could not get TCP HWND, cannot do much now, sorry
My first guess is that this is due to missing js_ReaScriptAPI extension (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212174). MFXlist uses that to get information about the TCP, and if js_ReaScriptAPI is missing, then MFXlist cannot get the necessary info about the TCP (coordinates and height).

Are you sure you have js_ReaScriptAPI installed?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:46 AM   #18
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tropic View Post
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Reaper 6.21

Empty window in dock, without insert stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, great!
I'm glad to see there's an ongoing interest in having TCP Fx and perhaps the Sends in this very convenient form.

Not sure if you plan to support the script on mac. I'm thinking, without facilities to test it might be difficult

Anyway, if of any use to you, here's a gif that shows MFXlist on macOSX14.6.
https://i.imgur.com/rfEtNXz.gif

The script opens, but it doesn't adjust the track coordinates correctly. Also once the window is floating, it's impossible to re-dock as there's no available window menu or tab to grab. Perhaps I missed something from the instructions, or there's another way to dock it using the API.

Checked as well on a Win10 WM where it seems to work as intended at this point. Haven't tried with macOS Catalina or Big Sur.

OK, I'll see if I can get my hands on a Mac to try this out on, but I have never really used Mac in any form, so I have no idea how hard it will be to track down the problem. Every time I find myself in front of a Mac I get so frustrated that it does not behave as I expect, and then I just give up and return to good old windows that I know and, well... trust, sort of
Old 01-24-2021, 05:11 AM   #19
PhelixK

Hi,
I understand, let’s see what happens. I’ll be following here!
/rgds
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #20
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi,
I understand, let’s see what happens. I’ll be following here!
/rgds
Apparently there was a fix in js_REaScriptAPI v0.972 (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=285). Can you please check that you have at least that, or even later, version installed?

From your gif (thanks for that, BTW), I see that MFXlist thinks that the area where it should draw the tracks is negative in height, -245. This is of course totally incorrect, and probably has to do with Mac counting coordinates from the bottom left instead of top left as Windows and Linux do.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #21
PhelixK

Quote:
Apparently there was a fix in js_REaScriptAPI v0.972 (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=285). Can you please check that you have at least that, or even later, version installed?

From your gif (thanks for that, BTW), I see that MFXlist thinks that the area where it should draw the tracks is negative in height, -245. This is of course totally incorrect, and probably has to do with Mac counting coordinates from the bottom left instead of top left as Windows and Linux do.
Yes, different fix-point on mac could be the culprit, and maybe also a cause for the absent window control when floating.

Checked using latest js_ReaScriptAPI v1.220.
I assume it includes the fix for mac screen coordinates. Also I see v1.215 corrected an issue with Metal graphics.

Reaper v6.21 + dev0123.

PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #22
Jae.Thomas

it seems I do have it under "user plugins"

Old 01-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #23
Fabian

Quote:
it seems I do have it under "user plugins"

OK, that looks as it should. I assume that you are sure that you do run the portable version of Reaper that you apparently have installed in C:\Portable Programs\Reaper (x64), and not a non-portable version that does not see this particular UserPlugin folder.

A portable version of Reaper should not be a problem, I use only that myself (I have not even tested on a non-portable version, I realize now).

Did you install js_ReaScriptAPI64 via ReaPack?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #24
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
OK, that looks as it should. I assume that you are sure that you do run the portable version of Reaper that you apparently have installed in C:\Portable Programs\Reaper (x64), and not a non-portable version that does not see this particular UserPlugin folder.

A portable version of Reaper should not be a problem, I use only that myself (I have not even tested on a non-portable version, I realize now).

Did you install js_ReaScriptAPI64 via ReaPack?
I think that's how it updates, yes.

Is there a way to verify?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #25
cfillion

Quote:
Is there a way to verify?
Extensions > ReaPack > Browse packages. Search for "js_ReaScript API". If it shows a little 'i', it's installed by ReaPack.

Are you using REAPER v5 or v6? I get the same error as you ("could not get TCP HWND") but only in v5.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #26
Jae.Thomas

Old 01-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #27
Delucci

Nice, Fabian! I'll be following the thread. It's awesome to see people showing love to this functionality, I am a big fan of Dopp's work, but since he has no interest in mantaining his script, I'm glad you did!
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #28
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Extensions > ReaPack > Browse packages. Search for "js_ReaScript API". If it shows a little 'i', it's installed by ReaPack.

Are you using REAPER v5 or v6? I get the same error as you ("could not get TCP HWND") but only in v5.
Unfortunately MFXlist will not work on Reaper 5 (or earlier), as the TCP does not have a special class name on R5, thus I do not know how to get the coordinates of the TCP.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #29
cjewellstudios

Digging this so far! Thank you Fabian!

I sometimes like to hide all the tracks at once so I can then add groups of tracks in to visibility one by one. When I did that, I got this:

Code:
getFirstTCPTrackBinary: Should never get here!
Well we got there

I was able to repeat by selecting the last track (not sure if this is necessary) and then hiding all the tracks. But it didn't happen every single time, I couldn't track down what the difference was, but hopefully this gives you enough to go on.

Also, just a small nitpick, maybe something for down the road. The script is a little bit small on a 4k monitor. I was able to tweak the font size in the script but I didn't know or see a way to increase the slot sizes. Not a big deal as it's basically legible at the moment but being able to increase the size would be a welcome feature.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #30
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
Digging this so far! Thank you Fabian!

I sometimes like to hide all the tracks at once so I can then add groups of tracks in to visibility one by one. When I did that, I got this:

Code:
getFirstTCPTrackBinary: Should never get here!
Well we got there

I was able to repeat by selecting the last track (not sure if this is necessary) and then hiding all the tracks. But it didn't happen every single time, I couldn't track down what the difference was, but hopefully this gives you enough to go on.
Ouch!
Yes, if you hide all tracks this could happen. Sorry about that... I'll fix it. Thanks for letting me know

EDIT: I think that v0.9.3 should solve this problem. The issue was that hidden tracks have zero height, and if the top track has negative y-coordinate and all tracks are hidden, the search for the first visible track gets confused. Should be fixed now, soon available through ReaPack.

Quote:
Also, just a small nitpick, maybe something for down the road. The script is a little bit small on a 4k monitor. I was able to tweak the font size in the script but I didn't know or see a way to increase the slot sizes. Not a big deal as it's basically legible at the moment but being able to increase the size would be a welcome feature.
There is a SLOT_HEIGHT (line 99) that should increase the slot sizes. Try to increase that.

Hm... seems I need to make the script HiDPI and retina aware.

Last edited by Fabian; 01-26-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #31
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Unfortunately MFXlist will not work on Reaper 5 (or earlier), as the TCP does not have a special class name on R5, thus I do not know how to get the coordinates of the TCP.
I am using the latest dev version
Old 01-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #32
Fabian

Quote:
I am using the latest dev version
If you're using Reaper v6, and you are on Windows, and and you have the correct (meaning 32/64) js_ReaScriptAPI installed, and you still get the "Could not get TCP HWND", then I'm sorry, I have no idea what could be the problem. It works for me under those conditions on four different computers.

Can you give me the exact version of Reaper (6.20? 6.21? 6.21+devXXXX?, 32-bit/64-bit, portable?), and the same for Windows (7, 8, 10? 32/64?), thanks.

Can you also give me the version number of js_ReaScriptAPI, you find that if you right-click it in the ReaPack package browser.

There has to be some combination of versions and 32/64-bits that does not work. That's the only thing I can think of now.

Sorry about this.

Last edited by Fabian; 01-27-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #33
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
If you're using Reaper v6, and you are on Windows, and and you have the correct (meaning 32/64) js_ReaScriptAPI installed, and you still get the "Could not get TCP HWND", then I'm sorry, I have no idea what could be the problem. It works for me under those conditions on four different computers.

Can you give me the exact version of Reaper (6.20? 6.21? 6.21+devXXXX?, 32-bit/64-bit, portable?), and the same for Windows (7, 8, 10? 32/64?), thanks.

Can you also give me the version number of js_ReaScriptAPI, you find that if you right-click it in the ReaPack package browser.

There has to be some combination of versions and 32/64-bits that does not work. That's the only thing I can think of now.

Sorry about this.
I WANT A REFUND!!!!

hehe jk

it's 6.21 + dev0125 (x64)
-- this was, a long time ago, installed like regular reaper would be, but then I took all the files from appdata and threw it in the reaper folder so it works AS a portable version. I have no reaper files
Windows 10 version 20H2 (x64)
v1.220 by juliansader – December 24 2020
* New: Functions for editing action shortcuts.
* Changed: SetParent accepts null parent on WindowsOS.

I am ASSUMING it's 64 bit.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:36 AM   #34
Fabian

Quote:
I WANT A REFUND!!!!

hehe jk
Your request is being processed. Please allow 4-40 weeks for our processing.
Thank you

Quote:
it's 6.21 + dev0125 (x64)
-- this was, a long time ago, installed like regular reaper would be, but then I took all the files from appdata and threw it in the reaper folder so it works AS a portable version. I have no reaper files
Windows 10 version 20H2 (x64)
v1.220 by juliansader – December 24 2020
* New: Functions for editing action shortcuts.
* Changed: SetParent accepts null parent on WindowsOS.

I am ASSUMING it's 64 bit.
OK, I have now tried this exact setup:
  • W10 20H2
  • Reaper 6.21 dev0125
  • js_ReaScript 1.220
(all of them x64) and here everything works as it should.

The fact that you get the "Could not get TCP HWND" message shows that your js_ReaScript is loaded and runs OK, but that somehow it fails to find the TCP window. Maybe your "unconventional" setup messes it up, but I do not really see how that could be. The only thing I can suggest now is that you do a proper portable install and try; it *should* work.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #35
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Your request is being processed. Please allow 4-40 weeks for our processing.
Thank you

OK, I have now tried this exact setup:
  • W10 20H2
  • Reaper 6.21 dev0125
  • js_ReaScript 1.220
(all of them x64) and here everything works as it should.

The fact that you get the "Could not get TCP HWND" message shows that your js_ReaScript is loaded and runs OK, but that somehow it fails to find the TCP window. Maybe your "unconventional" setup messes it up, but I do not really see how that could be. The only thing I can suggest now is that you do a proper portable install and try; it *should* work.
Could your ... variable or whatever function thingamajig be directly referencing something that should exist in a certain place that is unconventional for me?

like, a portable install works a certain way (maybe it puts the plugins folder in a certain place) and then regular install a certain way (the plugins folder.... would be in user app data or something?) ?

I know nothing about this, but I do know other things work fine
Old 01-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #36
Jae.Thomas

weird....

on portable install

(same if it's in userplugins)

(installed via reapack and it works, but heres the result

MFX-list.lua:199: attempt to call a nil value (field 'JS_Window_ArrayAllChild')

Is there a direct download for the script, formatted exactly?

When I right click and download off of your github (which im sure has a ton of shit in it that isn't actually a script

MFX-list.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<'

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 01-29-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #37
gxray

Quote:
weird....

on portable install

(same if it's in userplugins)

(installed via reapack and it works, but heres the result

MFX-list.lua:199: attempt to call a nil value (field 'JS_Window_ArrayAllChild')

Is there a direct download for the script, formatted exactly?

When I right click and download off of your github (which im sure has a ton of shit in it that isn't actually a script

MFX-list.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<'
You can't right-click the files from github like that to download them from the file list you see unfortunately -- those links go to HTML webpage for viewing that code file on Github (this is not intuitive behavior, I know):

You need to click the link to the file you want, and then press the button on the top-right of the code area that says "Raw":

Now this is just the raw text of the code, you can copy-paste it into a new notepad file and save as ".lua", or you can right click the page and save-as, but make sure you set the file type not to be ".txt", set it to "any" and make the extension ".lua", because by default it will save as ".lua.txt":

Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #38
Jae.Thomas

I will try that next, but I have never had to do that before. I can see how it causes a problem

doing that now

-and just so you know, I've done everything from copying/paste the actual code, and then rigth clicking, I know the right click thing doesnt work but...

I've tried several different ways to no avail
Old 01-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #39
Jae.Thomas

now it works.

that's all it was.

again, never had this issue before and I have installed scripts before.

never did the "raw" thing.

well, with scripts anyway
Old 01-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #40
Fabian

Quote:
now it works.

that's all it was.

again, never had this issue before and I have installed scripts before.

never did the "raw" thing.

well, with scripts anyway
All is good now? So we can abort the refund processing?

The "MFX-list.lua:199: attempt to call a nil value (field 'JS_Window_ArrayAllChild')" message occurs when js_ReaScript has not been loaded by Reaper.

And that Github issue bit me just a few days ago when I was going to test different versions of js_ReaScript. Right-clicking the first link downloads a HTML file, but with the expected name, like "js_ReaScriptAPI64.dll". As gxray nicely showed, two clicks are needed to get the actual file. This is a strange "feature" with Github.