Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
peteshreds
Human being with feelings

Default How do I go about installing vst plugins in reaper?

Need help in the 'how tos" of installing plug-ins to get them to be of use in reaper.Any help would be great
peteshreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
WOK!

1. Put them in a directory like C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
(Some plugins install themselfs in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins if nothing else is choosen

2. Select this directory in Reaper under Options - Preferences - Plug-Ins - VST and click Rescan

And most important: RTFM
Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
glassjaw_jc

Hi. I'm new to Reaper and I installed IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX but I can't get Reaper to get the plugin. I've set the VST folder and rescanned the folder many times. I even put the dll's in the Reaper FX folder but it still cannot seem to see the Ampeg SVX plugin.

I'm using Vista 64 bit on an HP laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
glassjaw_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaw_jc View Post
Hi. I'm new to Reaper and I installed IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX but I can't get Reaper to get the plugin. I've set the VST folder and rescanned the folder many times. I even put the dll's in the Reaper FX folder but it still cannot seem to see the Ampeg SVX plugin.

I'm using Vista 64 bit on an HP laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
did you set the preferences just in case?

The other thing, are the new DLL's 64bit compatible?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 PM   #5
Allyhellkiller
Banned

None of this is helpful.Some of us have never done this before so please instruct how to do this step by step.Thx
Allyhellkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 AM   #6
slipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyhellkiller View Post
None of this is helpful.Some of us have never done this before so please instruct how to do this step by step.Thx
Most VSTs have their own install processes and they're not all the same. No-one can possibly give you step by step instructions for every possible thing you might encounter on all of the possible computers you might be using.

The Reaper User Guide has useful information, the videos under the Videos link at the top of the page have more useful information. If you ever have a question about a specific VST install problem feel free to ask about that (giving details!).

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
MaXyM

Quote:
VST plugins are nothing less than .ddl files which can be located anywhere, with condition, Reaper must know those location(s).

There are a few standardized locations, suggested years ago by software develoepers (ie Steinberg). But you have not guarantee that all nowadays devs are following those conventions.

Personally I do my best to install plugins into my own VST directory. It's located on different partition. When plugin is distributed without installer I can copy it manually into the location. If has installer allowing to select the location, I chose my location. If it installs plugin .ddl files into own directory, I move ddl itno my location or add vst location to reaper (only special cases).

As Slipstick said, there is no step by step instruction due to variability of possible cases. Better way is to understand what happens under the hood and adapt to it (or adapt the process to own needs)
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
FWIW this isnt a paid-for helpline, members on here are just buddies trying to learn and trying to help other buddies.

If you didnt already, download and check out the free user guide and also take a look at some of the excellent free video tutorials, all at reaper.fm.

Of course ask questions on here and we will all try to help you but the tools and the help are already there to get you started, you just have to spend a little time working with them. Also any time you ask a question, it helps if you tell us what system you are on (Mac Windows Linux) and what you are using for an Audio/MIDI interface, assuming you arent just trying to use your onboard sound card.

Have a go with the help provided & if you are STILL stuck, at least you will know where when you ask next time. Good luck & have fun.

Forgot to add that right below THIS section is one called Newbies or similar. You`ll probably find more help in the stickied threads there too.