Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-21-2019, 12:42 AM   #1
mucknog
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI item - Middle C horizontal line

Just an idea...

imagine having some tracks and each track with different voices playing in different registers.
At present time REAPER scales the notes to the item, which makes it difficult to quickly identify which is which and where they move in relation to middle C (or any other note).

Would anyone agree, that having a horizontal line in a transparent color to show middle C (or any other reference note) might really improve composing speed?

Cheers
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
n997

Default +1

If I understand correctly, this concerns MIDI items in Arrangement view, and that their contents are cropped vertically before drawing MIDI item previews.

Quick workaround at the moment of posting:
make a MIDI item that has highest and lowest MIDI notes (velocities can be 1, and item can be muted in Arrangement).
It'll disable vertical cropping of MIDI data before drawing previews, on every track it's present in.

+1 to option of placing a Mid C line in MIDI items (with blending similar to Photoshop's Overlay etc.)

...but I think having options for both Mid C line and uncropped vertical preview might be ideal. It'd be helpful especially in cases where same musical phrase is doubled by different instruments in different octaves.

Ergo, +1 also to having an option to turn off vertical cropping of MIDI data before drawing a preview of MIDI item.

This would also be well suited for retina / high DPI displays - and planning forward to 5K and 8K displays - because at retina/HiDPI 200% scaling each MIDI pitch could have its own pixel line at same zoom level that shows second row of track controls.

Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI item vertical cropping.png (29.0 KB, 173 views)
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
mucknog

Yes! That is exactly what I was talking about.
Couldn't remember it's called 'arrange view'

I already came up with this workaround myself, but it really gets difficult to read without vertical cropping.

It would be optimal to be able to set the line per track. So you could, for example, set to alto clef and the horizontal line would be on C4, or treble on G4 etc.

Cheers

Last edited by mucknog; 10-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.
mucknog is offline   Reply With Quote