Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #5361
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Cool Are the icons under the keys or on top?
On top,

Just simple 1/2" x 1/2" labels, AND I sprung the extra $1-2 for the "removable" backing glue -- leaves no residue -- working just fine so far.

Ordered a laser printer (couldn't take dried up whilst still half full inkjet printers any more, this one lasted less than a year) -- should clean things up.

Also with better stock and graphics, I'll be sure to be more careful when placing the labels on the buttons

Finally, I installed Inkscape -- had it with raster bit map jaggies -- officially now joining the vector/CMYK crowd
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #5362
rschlierbeck

Default Finally getting started

I have been reading this thread since the beginning and now that its about to go beta I'm getting started. I'll try not to ask questions that have already been answered.

I have a BCF2000 and a BCR2000. I'm starting to explore this with the BCF2000 first and then I'll expand as my understanding increases. I have set up the BCF2000 as an MCU and use the MCU surface and zones just to get started. Here are my first questions.

When REAPER starts up the BCF2000 resets everything to 0 basically even if I have a project loaded. I have to go into the preferences and edit the surface and press OK then everything springs back to life. Am I missing a setting here? I also see the hardware jump to zero if I open a different application (like Chrome) and doesn't engage again unless I go back and edit the surface in preferences.

Also the BCF doesn't follow my bank selections on screen. So if I have 24 tracks on screen and I click on number 9, should I expect the BCF2000 to automatically bank?

What does Use Track Coloring do?

Thanks for this incredible work.

Jones
rschlierbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #5363
Funkybot

I've got an Artist Mix and found that the Geoff's EUCON protocol works well enough (just wish it was faster after a track is removed - but I understand that was a stability thing) so I haven't paid much attention to CSI so far.

But I do have other MIDI controllers like a Novation Remote Zero, MIDI Fighter Twister, and Steinberg CMC-QC, not to mention a System-8 (which has a ton of knobs and faders). Would love to take more advantage of these in Reaper.

My questions are:

1. Will the beta include some kind of GUI-based front-end for script creation? The idea of creating widgets in a script file and mapping these to MIDI addresses honestly seems like more work than "ye average end user" might be willing to get into. Or maybe the plan is to get enough controllers mapped this isn't an issue for most people.

2. Is there documentation yet? Will it be coming soon? I'm still not sure what the use-cases are for this. Seems like it can control mixer channels, plugin parameters, etc. How do I do the mapping? Are the mappings retained? Are they focus based? Example: I open an instance of EQuilibrium, can I map the VST parameters, then will CSI remember that mapping every other time it's opened? How would I set that up?

I appreciate all of Geoff's work on improving remote control in Reaper between the EUCON adapter and now this. Just don't really have a handle on how to use this yet and this thread is too long, with too much information to be quite useful to me at the moment.

If I understood any of this, I'd even be happy to help contribute to documentation. Writing dummy-proof procedures is something I have experience with in my day-job. I'd even be happy to review/edit any potential documentation for clarity if it would be deemed helpful.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #5364
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlierbeck View Post
I have been reading this thread since the beginning and now that its about to go beta I'm getting started. I'll try not to ask questions that have already been answered.

I have a BCF2000 and a BCR2000. I'm starting to explore this with the BCF2000 first and then I'll expand as my understanding increases. I have set up the BCF2000 as an MCU and use the MCU surface and zones just to get started. Here are my first questions.

When REAPER starts up the BCF2000 resets everything to 0 basically even if I have a project loaded. I have to go into the preferences and edit the surface and press OK then everything springs back to life. Am I missing a setting here? I also see the hardware jump to zero if I open a different application (like Chrome) and doesn't engage again unless I go back and edit the surface in preferences.

Also the BCF doesn't follow my bank selections on screen. So if I have 24 tracks on screen and I click on number 9, should I expect the BCF2000 to automatically bank?

What does Use Track Coloring do?

Thanks for this incredible work.

Jones
Track colouring does nothing right now, but what it will do is tailor made for surfaces that lack scribble strips

It will allow you to designate an RGBA colour (per Page) -- this color will be applied as a translucent overlay on the MCP/TCP indicating which Tracks are currently visible on the surface(s).

We need to do an .mst for the BCF2000 and the BCR2000 -- hopefully will have same ready when we go beta -- then we can troubleshoot your system.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #5365
rschlierbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Track colouring does nothing right now, but what it will do is tailor made for surfaces that lack scribble strips

It will allow you to designate an RGBA colour (per Page) -- this color will be applied as a translucent overlay on the MCP/TCP indicating which Tracks are currently visible on the surface(s).

We need to do an .mst for the BCF2000 and the BCR2000 -- hopefully will have same ready when we go beta -- then we can troubleshoot your system.
Great. I'll keep tinkering then and wait for news on the BCF2000

Thanks,

Jones
rschlierbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #5366
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
1. Will the beta include some kind of GUI-based front-end for script creation? The idea of creating widgets in a script file and mapping these to MIDI addresses honestly seems like more work than "ye average end user" might be willing to get into. Or maybe the plan is to get enough controllers mapped this isn't an issue for most people.
There is a Learn Mode Window that allows you to edit Zones in realtime, so you can test you ideas before you save them.

The idea is to go beta with as many .mst/.ost files as we can get our hands on.

We also hope to have a reasonable number of .zon "Starter Files" that setup the usual suspects -- Faders, Transport, etc.

You then use Learn Mode to tweak the system to your taste.

That said, the Learn Mode is the newest and least stable code, so I'm sure we'll be getting some bugs and possibly even a few crashes along the way .

But yeah, nobody wants to type long error prone stuff

Quote:
2. Is there documentation yet? Will it be coming soon? I'm still not sure what the use-cases are for this. Seems like it can control mixer channels, plugin parameters, etc. How do I do the mapping? Are the mappings retained? Are they focus based? Example: I open an instance of EQuilibrium, can I map the VST parameters, then will CSI remember that mapping every other time it's opened? How would I set that up?

If I understood any of this, I'd even be happy to help contribute to documentation. Writing dummy-proof procedures is something I have experience with in my day-job. I'd even be happy to review/edit any potential documentation for clarity if it would be deemed helpful.
@poetnprophet did this overview video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5IC-fuI0E8

and MalcolmG is keeping this wiki up nicely : https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Old 11-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #5367
MalcolmG

Quote:
Speaking of beta, I believe this is what we need before stepping to beta:
Fix modifier bug
Add Folder implementation
Whole bunch of ones you folks will chime in with

What say you, good folk of CSI ?

The only thing holding me back from really pushing further is the issue with calling Reaper/Custom actions from a 14bit fader (where the 14 bit value looks like it is being cast to 7bit) https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...postcount=5091

In terms of Features, the one we discussed earlier on having an OnZoneLoad trigger for zones would be nice, combined with being able to send custom messages to a surface. So when a zone is loaded, we can change presets on a surface/load new layouts in Lemur/etc.

Otherwise, I don't have anything that would stop it going beta.

I'm still trying to get 30 minutes to try out the OSC Lemur issue I'm having on TouchOSC, but that's in my court.

Cheers
Malcolm

Last edited by MalcolmG; 11-17-2019 at 02:33 PM.
MalcolmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #5368
flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Glad you've found something that suits What would be nice would be if we could enable/disable the audio scrub by momentary button.

Regarding the jog speed, Geoff's just posted a build with the modifiers fixed, so you may be able to change speed and kill the audio by defining a Shift function for the wheel and binding it to a Reaper action to move the edit cursor, which shouldn't output audio as it moves. Worth a try
I will likely try that, once I'm a little more certain I understand how this all works together. I'm still getting up to speed on making changes to the existing .mst/.zon files.

But I did get it working on the X-Touch, and it turns out the X-Touch wheel does NOT send different codes depending on rotation speed. It sends an 01 for CW and a 41 for CCW regardless of speed. The US2400 was a much earlier Mackie implementation and doesn't always seem to match current practice exactly.

So while using "8 pixels left and right" smooths things out, and works on both surfaces, there's likely a better implementation out there.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #5369
Funkybot

Quote:
There is a Learn Mode Window that allows you to edit Zones in realtime, so you can test you ideas before you save them.
Hi Geoff, how do we get to this window? I don't see anything like a Learn Mode window anywhere.

I created an .mst file for my Remote Zero SL, thought I created a basic .zon file, made a page, added the surface - seleted the .mst and .zon files, selected the MIDI ports, but nothing happens. I've got that MIDI Device enabled in Reaper with the port set to Enabled+Control. I'm sure I've got something setup wrong, but I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this. Can't even get this to control the volume of a single track or get the Play button widget to actually play.

Anyway, it's time to take a break for the night.

When I'm talking about dummy proof documentation, I'm really looking for a document that assumes zero knowledge on the end users part about any of this, and would allow them to set up a new device. The video referenced was close, when combined with the Wiki info I thought I was on the right track, but still no dice. Ideally, I'd love to see documentation like...

1. Before you do anything else, go to Reaper -> Preferences -> MIDI Devices - locate your devices and make sure the port is set to Enabled+Control
2. Create a new .mst file - this is a blank text file - add widgets, here are all the types, here's how to map them (ideally this should be setup via a Learn screen - not a text editor)
3. Create a .zon file - this converts those widgets we just created into Reaper actions (this should also ideally be a Learn screen, but it sounds like there may be one I just haven't found yet)
4. Add a page
5. Add one or more surfaces
etc.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #5370
MixMonkey

Quote:
1. Before you do anything else, go to Reaper -> Preferences -> MIDI Devices - locate your devices and make sure the port is set to Enabled+Control
You need to make sure the surface you're using is disabled in the MIDI devices window. CSI is a Reaper Control Surface plugin and all the action goes on via the Control/OSC/Web section of the preferences.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 11-17-2019 at 07:35 PM.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #5371
flight

Quote:
Hi Geoff, how do we get to this window? I don't see anything like a Learn Mode window anywhere.

I created an .mst file for my Remote Zero SL, thought I created a basic .zon file, made a page, added the surface - seleted the .mst and .zon files, selected the MIDI ports, but nothing happens. I've got that MIDI Device enabled in Reaper with the port set to Enabled+Control. I'm sure I've got something setup wrong, but I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this. Can't even get this to control the volume of a single track or get the Play button widget to actually play.

Anyway, it's time to take a break for the night.

When I'm talking about dummy proof documentation, I'm really looking for a document that assumes zero knowledge on the end users part about any of this, and would allow them to set up a new device. The video referenced was close, when combined with the Wiki info I thought I was on the right track, but still no dice. Ideally, I'd love to see documentation like...

2. Create a new .mst file - this is a blank text file - add widgets, here are all the types, here's how to map them (ideally this should be setup via a Learn screen - not a text editor)
3. Create a .zon file - this converts those widgets we just created into Reaper actions (this should also ideally be a Learn screen, but it sounds like there may be one I just haven't found yet)
4. Add a page
5. Add one or more surfaces
etc.
I'm not the expert here, but it sounds like you are trying to open your Novation in both the Midi devices area and in the Control Surfaces area of the Preferences menu. If so, past experience tells me that Reaper will see that as a conflict. If this is the case, you might try engaging the surface only as a Control Surface, and not as a midi device.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #5372
airon

Quick question on X-Touch and OSC.

The X-Touch and its extenders can control the x32 hardware(rack to full unit). Does anyone know if that's actually done via OSC ?

I know the x32 does OSC and some folks have used that to control stuff on PCs. I was on the crew of Tip of the Hats 2017 and we had OSC stuff going with our x32 mixer.

I figure the x32 mode on the X-Touch units with its colourful scribble displays would work nicely as an OSC interface via ethernet. My plan is to control some fx, sends and stuff like that. I'm hoping it'll be more accurate and flexible than the midi stuff.

So, anyone have programming details or OSC configs for those things ? Has anyone here contacted Behringer about their OSC documentation ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #5373
orbiterred

Sounds like this is really starting to take shape guys! Amazing project.

I'm currently running a FP16 and am happy to contribute to the beta testing but in order to make it into my current workflow I would really need folder support before I could commit.

Currently on the 16 I've got Klinke working with folders but it's very clunky as I need to run the FP16 as two separate 8 fader units. I use folders as the very top tracks of my project to keep everything organized and on the 16 faders, I can then enter the folder mode by holding down the select button above the track.

It's clunky because if there are more than 7 tracks in a folder then I need to bank around the second set of 8 faders and open up the same track in folder mode, then bank it to the proper tracks... hard to explain maybe I can do a video.

Is there a timeline on folder mode integration?

Cheers,
Rob
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #5374
poetnprophet

I'm not at the studio right now, but I do use my own folder mode with some reaper actions...might even be custom actions. I'll share later if you're interested.

One button is used to toggle collapse/expand all folder tracks. Then Shift+that button to toggle individual [selected] folder tracks.

It's also a little clunky, especially because native reaper actions don't have specific collapse for the mixer. So, if I have tracks that are hidden in the TCP (but shown on the MCP) they won't collapse in the MCP.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #5375
Slumbersom

Default Digidesign 003 Integration

Hi there,

sweet to see so many people putting that much effort into this project!

I got myself a Digi003, which integration into pro tools is quite deep, but reaper is hands down my daw of choice.

I've tryed yet to set some simple controls comands like play and stop into a .mst I based upon a MCU.mst
I have not managed to even get reaper to play... oh my

The Midi commands comming from the device where captured with Midi Monitor and SysEx Librarian on OS X El Capitan.

Do you have anny insight for me on how to get a good starting point, or if it is even feasible concidering the device has no open protocol like HUI.
All the best

Fred
Slumbersom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #5376
poetnprophet

hey, slumber, I would try to start with one of the provided mst and zon files and see if you can modify some of those to get things to work. The only things you should be modifying at first at the midi cc messages, especially for basic stuff like transport.

I did a video on getting there...it's just a basic guide and nothing to win awards but it may help you get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5IC-fuI0E8
Old 11-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #5377
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Run the Reaper Action No-Op (65535) -- that opens the Learn Mode window for now
Old 11-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #5378
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Quick question on X-Touch and OSC.

The X-Touch and its extenders can control the x32 hardware(rack to full unit). Does anyone know if that's actually done via OSC ?

I know the x32 does OSC and some folks have used that to control stuff on PCs. I was on the crew of Tip of the Hats 2017 and we had OSC stuff going with our x32 mixer.

I figure the x32 mode on the X-Touch units with its colourful scribble displays would work nicely as an OSC interface via ethernet. My plan is to control some fx, sends and stuff like that. I'm hoping it'll be more accurate and flexible than the midi stuff.

So, anyone have programming details or OSC configs for those things ? Has anyone here contacted Behringer about their OSC documentation ?
Had a quick look, seems it does not support OSC but rather yet another flavour of MCU extension -- they call it XCtl or something.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #5379
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
Sounds like this is really starting to take shape guys! Amazing project.

I'm currently running a FP16 and am happy to contribute to the beta testing but in order to make it into my current workflow I would really need folder support before I could commit.

Currently on the 16 I've got Klinke working with folders but it's very clunky as I need to run the FP16 as two separate 8 fader units. I use folders as the very top tracks of my project to keep everything organized and on the 16 faders, I can then enter the folder mode by holding down the select button above the track.

It's clunky because if there are more than 7 tracks in a folder then I need to bank around the second set of 8 faders and open up the same track in folder mode, then bank it to the proper tracks... hard to explain maybe I can do a video.

Is there a timeline on folder mode integration?

Cheers,
Rob
Yes, as soon as we go beta we will start parallel development of Folders and Jog/Shuttle -- the 2 major features left to go.

If you have any ideas about your personal Cadillac version of Folders, please do chime in, any and all contributions more than welcomed
Old 11-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #5380
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumbersom View Post
Hi there,

sweet to see so many people putting that much effort into this project!

I got myself a Digi003, which integration into pro tools is quite deep, but reaper is hands down my daw of choice.

I've tryed yet to set some simple controls comands like play and stop into a .mst I based upon a MCU.mst
I have not managed to even get reaper to play... oh my

The Midi commands comming from the device where captured with Midi Monitor and SysEx Librarian on OS X El Capitan.

Do you have anny insight for me on how to get a good starting point, or if it is even feasible concidering the device has no open protocol like HUI.
All the best

Fred
This is a bit more work than a stock MCU but still very doable.

You can use CSI to directly monitor the midi in stream so that you can capture what you need to generate your .mst file.

Take a look at @MalcolmG's wiki and @poetnprophets videos to get you started -- links on first page of this thread.

And welcome to the thread, please join in the discussion !!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #5381
poetnprophet

Hey Geoff, will it be possible to set the display names to CENTER on the console displays? currently they are left justified, while the number values seem to be centered.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:56 AM   #5382
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Hey Geoff, will it be possible to set the display names to CENTER on the console displays? currently they are left justified, while the number values seem to be centered.
Cool, added to the beta bug list
Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #5383
orbiterred

Quote:
Yes, as soon as we go beta we will start parallel development of Folders and Jog/Shuttle -- the 2 major features left to go.

If you have any ideas about your personal Cadillac version of Folders, please do chime in, any and all contributions more than welcomed
Absolutely!
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #5384
Geoff Waddington

LaunchPad thus far:

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 05-19-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:38 AM   #5385
Slumbersom

Default Diggi 003

Quote:
This is a bit more work than a stock MCU but still very doable.

You can use CSI to directly monitor the midi in stream so that you can capture what you need to generate your .mst file.

Take a look at @MalcolmG's wiki and @poetnprophets videos to get you started -- links on first page of this thread.

And welcome to the thread, please join in the discussion !!
Thank You, for the warm welcome Geoff!
Checked Malcoms wiki and it allready helped me out!

Poetnprophets vid got me here in the first place. : )

How do I monitor the midi-stream inside CSI ?

Cheers

-Fred
Old 11-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #5386
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
How do I monitor the midi-stream inside CSI ?
Just run the Reaper Action "No-op" (65535) to launch the Learn Mode Window, monitoring is in the lower left corner.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #5387
Korwent

Hi there, incredible work on the CSI so far, it promises to be such a great tool, and to be honest already is.
However, I have a little issue with the mapping of my faderport V2, I got everything to work about how I want it except for the modifiers which I cannot get working at all!
They get stuck in "on" state, in a similar way that was mentioned earlier in the topic, but I really don't understand how to get them working!
I've seen modifiers are still not perfectly working, so that might be the reason?
Anyway, I've tried to have only the shift button and the learn mode mapped in both the .mst and .zon file, getting the same result.
I thought it might be a limitation of the way the faderport deals with midi, but the input is normal even when stuck( a press of the button gives the push/release info).
I made a test config to isolate the problem, which remains even in that scenario:
My .mst:

Quote:
Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f
FB_TwoState 90 46 7f 90 46 00
WidgetEnd

Widget RotaryPush
Press 90 20 7f
FB_TwoState 90 20 7f 90 20 00
WidgetEnd
My .zon:

Quote:
Zone Home
Shift Shift
RotaryPush ToggleLearnMode
ZoneEnd
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Korwent; 11-22-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Korwent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #5388
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korwent View Post
Hi there, incredible work on the CSI so far, it promises to be such a great tool, and to be honest already is.
However, I have a little issue with the mapping of my faderport V2, I got everything to work about how I want it except for the modifiers which I cannot get working at all!
They get stuck in "on" state, in a similar way that was mentioned earlier in the topic, but I really don't understand how to get them working!
I've seen modifiers are still not perfectly working, so that might be the reason?
Anyway, I've tried to have only the shift button and the learn mode mapped in both the .mst and .zon file, getting the same result.
I thought it might be a limitation of the way the faderport deals with midi, but the input is normal even when stuck( a press of the button gives the push/release info).
I made a test config to isolate the problem, which remains even in that scenario:
My .mst:

My .zon:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Modifiers need press AND release messages from the hardware.

You show only a press message for the Shift Widget

Code:
Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f
WidgetEnd
The hardware must be able to generate a release message and you must declare it it the .mst like this:

Code:
Widget Shift
Press 90 46 7f 90 46 00
WidgetEnd
AND make sure the Widget generates the off message when released.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #5389
Korwent

Well in hindsight it seems kinda obvious now that you mention it ha ha
Works like a charm, thanks a lot, BTW I'm impressed by your reactivity!
I'm gonna customize how the faderport V2 behaves quite a bit but I'll spend a little time recreating the stock expected behaviour (woth the buttons that don't work with the MCU compatibility mode) and post it here, if that can be of any help.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #5390
Freex

Been thinking about the folders

My preferences for a work model would be to control+ch select to toggle expanding and closing folders.

I had thought that hold ch select would be more fluid, but could lead. To accidental actions. Although I think it would be the most Slick ig the hold time could be tuned.
Freex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #5391
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korwent View Post
Well in hindsight it seems kinda obvious now that you mention it ha ha
Works like a charm, thanks a lot, BTW I'm impressed by your reactivity!
I'm gonna customize how the faderport V2 behaves quite a bit but I'll spend a little time recreating the stock expected behaviour (woth the buttons that don't work with the MCU compatibility mode) and post it here, if that can be of any help.
hey, that would be a huge help for me. I couldn't get my FP to work at all with CSI, I gave up eventually, but would love to know how you did it.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #5392
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post

My preferences for a work model would be to control+ch select to toggle expanding and closing folders.

I had thought that hold ch select would be more fluid, but could lead. To accidental actions. Although I think it would be the most Slick ig the hold time could be tuned.
Ditto! Or possibly even shift+hold to help eliminate accidents. I moved PIN to shift+ctrl for this in advance and to test my own stuff

Also, would like to see an action that collapses ALL folders if possible, specifically the MCP to collapse tracks that are hidden in the TCP but still keep them hidden where ever they are hidden (so, vice versa if hidden on MCP...if that makes sense).
Old 11-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #5393
Slumbersom

Default digi 002 ff. / "Go to start of the Project" action refference

Thanks Geoff, much more convenient this way!

I managed to map all of my transport buttons but one:

RTZ i.e. Return To Zone 1 i.e. Go to start of the project.
Can't seem to find a suitable action refference in the wiki of Malcom.

Is there one I'm Overlooking?

P.S.: This "no-op"-action seems to be a powerfull tool. Is there anny documentation on it available?
Searching this thread brought nothing forward.

Looking forward taking care of dem faders and pots, ha!

Cheers
-Fred

Last edited by Slumbersom; 11-22-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: post scriptum
Old 11-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #5394
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Thanks Geoff, much more convenient this way!

I managed to map all of my transport buttons but one:

RTZ i.e. Return To Zone 1 i.e. Go to start of the project.
Can't seem to find a suitable action refference in the wiki of Malcom.

Is there one I'm Overlooking?
I use Reaper 40042 for Return to Zero - aka RTZ.

Quote:
P.S.: This "no-op"-action seems to be a powerfull tool. Is there anny documentation on it available?
Searching this thread brought nothing forward.
No-op is our sleazy temporary way of firing up the Learn Mode Window, until we get a proper action -- No-op is a Reaper Action and some scripts etc. may use it so the Learn Mode Window would pop up Not good

But yeah, the Learn Mode Window, when finished allows for real time editing -- including colour, if available -- just playing around this aft with colour editing the Launchpad mini in real time, way fun, so all that stuff is on the way...
Old 11-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #5395
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post

How about ToggleFolderDrilldown for the Action name ?

As usual you are free to assign any action to any surface controls you like
Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #5396
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ditto! Or possibly even shift+hold to help eliminate accidents. I moved PIN to shift+ctrl for this in advance and to test my own stuff

Also, would like to see an action that collapses ALL folders if possible, specifically the MCP to collapse tracks that are hidden in the TCP but still keep them hidden where ever they are hidden (so, vice versa if hidden on MCP...if that makes sense).
Not quite sure what you mean here, please elaborate.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #5397
Slumbersom

Quote:
I use Reaper 40042 for Return to Zero - aka RTZ.

No-op is our sleazy temporary way of firing up the Learn Mode Window, until we get a proper action -- No-op is a Reaper Action and some scripts etc. may use it so the Learn Mode Window would pop up Not good

But yeah, the Learn Mode Window, when finished allows for real time editing -- including colour, if available -- just playing around this aft with colour editing the Launchpad mini in real time, way fun, so all that stuff is on the way...
Sweet! Sneaky, sleazy techniques to rule dem teckmologys ^^

Seems like I'm at the forefront of cutting edge technology, with you guys! )

But, for me, just to get my feet wet, how do I implement this 40042 action into my .mst and .zon files ? And, those numbers - like 40042 or the one mentioned by you before, regarding the other action - what do they mean ?

Naiv as a noob could be / humble beginner

Cheers
-Fred
Old 11-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #5398
WaveTrans

Quote:
Sweet! Sneaky, sleazy techniques to rule dem teckmologys ^^

Seems like I'm at the forefront of cutting edge technology, with you guys! )

But, for me, just to get my feet wet, how do I implement this 40042 action into my .mst and .zon files ? And, those numbers - like 40042 or the one mentioned by you before, regarding the other action - what do they mean ?

Naiv as a noob could be / humble beginner

Cheers
-Fred
The numbers refer to reaper actions. You find the numbers in the actions menu, right click the menu bar and activate "show action IDs"

As Geoff wrote above, Reaper 40042, for example, stands for the action Return to Zero - aka RTZ

Use it in zone file like:
Zone Buttons
Save Reaper 40026
ZoneEnd

Last edited by WaveTrans; 11-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #5399
rothchild

Re-upping for my desire to contribute to the folder diving discussion (as it finally hooves in to view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
I've been musing on the 'cadillac solution' for diving / navigating a few features and have an initial idea to present. I've skipped groups for now as I don't use them a lot so don't have use cases but I do use a lot of folders and sends (and would like to use more VCAs) as much as the detail of the which button it should be (although I think what I've done is relatively intuitive) this is about a consistent working method.

I'm sure once it touches anything like reality all the issues will surface but for now I think this could be a workable start.

‘Cadillac’ MCU folder management
(Klinke behaviour is the baseline here.)

Global View pages up / back a menu level

Track mode Default (pan surround) = show top level track/folder (regular track view)
Press and hold select = dive to folder (keep folder track to left and children to right)

Press Track (latch VCA master view mode) and press select to see VCAs
Hold select to dive to VCA master

Hold track and press select to see VCA slaves
Hold select to dive to VCA slave

Press Send (latch send view mode) and press select track to see all sends
Hold select to dive to send

Hold send and press select track to see all receives
Hold send and hold track select to dive to receive
rothchild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:13 AM   #5400
Korwent

Quote:
hey, that would be a huge help for me. I couldn't get my FP to work at all with CSI, I gave up eventually, but would love to know how you did it.
Is it a V1 or V2?
Cause it seems to me they behave quite differently!
Right now I'm trying to push things a little further in order to have a better grasp as for how CSI works, but I'll definitely post the stock behaviour at some point.