Old 12-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Anthony Locke
Human being with feelings

Default Some Midi channel issues.

So I load up reaper, create a track, track monitor on, load Kontakt, set Midi All inputs: Channel 1. Set Kontakt to channel 1 and everything works. BUT if I try setting both to channel 2 or higher, I get nothing, no reaction from either. A few weeks ago switching channels wasn't an issue, all of a sudden it is. (Maybe the new update? Maybe the Kontakt update?)

Why is this important you might ask? Well I have an old Yamaha Keyboard so it doesn't have a pitch bend or mod wheel, my alesis controller on the other hand does. So that's why I need it set to Midi all(That way I could use my nice keyboard and also have pitch and mod.) Now the reason I need it set to a channel higher than 9 is that from what I've heard, the Mackie Protocol doesn't send "note on" messages on channels higher than 9. Currently my Nano Kontrol2 is playing annoying notes when I use the controls on it because the channel is set to all midi.

Any help here would be great.

Thanks!
Anthony Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
ELP

Itīs really basics:
If you set the Midi Input to a special channel and your Hardware is sending on a different than nothing is happen.

You have to route the events to the correct channels

Your example.
Your Keyboard send on channel 1, your Akai on maybe 3 or whatever
and the Kontakt Instrument shall only play on channel 9.

Set Midi Input for the Track to the keyboard and the Akai or
All Inputs on "All Channels" and insert for example JS:IX/MidiToolII on Track Input FX for recording or as an simple FX Insert.

And for JS:IX/MidiToolII: set output channel and controller Routing to channel 9.

Another way for VSTi is to work for example with sends (without extra plugs)
Create a Kontakt VST Track(s), create another midi recording tracks without any Kontakt VST. Open the routing popup, create a Send to > Kontakt and route the midi Events there
Midi All => Midi Channel 9 or on whatever channel the Kontakt shall play.

For playing the Kontakt live you only have to set the Send Track(s) to monitoring and arm and not also the Track with the KontaktVSTi.
Thatīs the way i work with VSTis .. with Midi Sends for different channels.
Just like Events to Midi Hardware Out
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Anthony Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
Itīs really basics:
If you set the Midi Input to a special channel and your Hardware is sending on a different than nothing is happen.

You have to route the events to the correct channels

Your example.
Your Keyboard send on channel 1, your Akai on maybe 3 or whatever
and the Kontakt Instrument shall only play on channel 9.

Set Midi Input for the Track to the keyboard and the Akai or
All Inputs on "All Channels" and insert for example JS:IX/MidiToolII on Track Input FX for recording or as an simple FX Insert.

And for JS:IX/MidiToolII: set output channel and controller Routing to channel 9.

Another way for VSTi is to work for example with sends (without extra plugs)
Create a Kontakt VST Track(s), create another midi recording tracks without any Kontakt VST. Open the routing popup, create a Send to > Kontakt and route the midi Events there
Midi All => Midi Channel 9 or on whatever channel the Kontakt shall play.

For playing the Kontakt live you only have to set the Send Track(s) to monitoring and arm and not also the Track with the KontaktVSTi.
Thatīs the way i work with VSTis .. with Midi Sends for different channels.
Just like Events to Midi Hardware Out
Hmmm I'll see if that helps. Generally all I'd have to do is select All Midi Inputs, Channel #. Then in Kontakt VSTi match the same channel # and all would work.

I'll try the send routing option.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
ELP

you have to set Midi Input on "All Channels" if your Hardware sends on different channels or to the corresponding Hardware channels.
After that you can route the -maybe- different input event channels with Sends to the channels and Midi Busses you like.

My live playing VSTi setup has for example much send tracks with routings to different channels.
So I donīt have to switch the channels on my hardware anymore.. I arm only send tracks

For example Kontakt on 16 Channels, you can create 16 send Tracks with different routing Send Channels.. 1.Midi All =>1; 2.Midi ALL =>2 etc.pp
very easy...

Last edited by ELP; 12-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Anthony Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
you have to set Midi Input on "All Channels" if your Hardware sends on different channels or to the corresponding Hardware channels.
After that you can route the -maybe- different input event channels with Sends to the channels and Midi Busses you like.

My live playing VSTi setup has for example much send tracks with routings to different channels.
So I donīt have to switch the channels on my hardware anymore.. I arm only send tracks

For example Kontakt on 16 Channels, you can create 16 send Tracks with different routing Send Channels.. 1.Midi All =>1; 2.Midi ALL =>2 etc.pp
very easy...
Well I feel silly. When you mentioned hardware I decided to check the owners manual and realized I could change the channel it sends on. Now it sends to 16 and all my problems are cleared up. It seems, once again, the simplest solution was the correct solution. Thanks for the help (and the neat routing tips, as I'm sure you've guessed, I'm still a noob at this.) I'll give your routing suggestion a try anyhow, if at least to learn more about it!

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
ELP

Smile

No prob...

the incredible routing options incl.
the possibility of multi-channel tracking and not only for multi-channel file sources but, for example, also to use a single FX Buss track as a kind of Rack Case in which for example up to 32 stereo effects can be installed all inputs/outputs controlled separately and can be routed in/out elsewhere in my opinion is the great passion of reaper.
Not any other DAW has such flexible routing, customization etc.pp. options when you know how and you have set a little bit apart.

Reaper works in many ways different from other DAWs and for me that is a good thing .. Remember you have to be especially something not only klick with left - also with a right mouse button klick ..

For me the reaper Devs are really from space.

Since Atari times- and the Midi Machine is still running and sometimes in use Privat, Band and Studio I was ever 99% Steinberg user but since I own Reaper, I have not taken a long time to completely move away from Steinberg ....
DAW In use for me is now only Reaper and Ableton. Ableton ... but mainly for stage ... but again, often in combination with Reaper.

Last edited by ELP; 12-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote