Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
ashwalk
Human being with feelings

Default Axiom (not Pro) as Control Surface = y u no easier to setup?

edit: user rich_h is developing a plugin to enable Reaper to work with Direct Link.
You can reach his thread over here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=112375

Alternatively, it was suggested that you emulate the keyboard with OSC or MCU plugins, which should work but I couldn't test it myself yet.

Hello forum.
Let me start by saying that there's very little info on the interwebs about setting this up completely. Sometimes, when people discuss this, they take a crucial step for granted. I've done my homework about this, but I don't think I can pass the test. So I am creating this thread to gather all we know.

Some parts of the issue I could solve, but not some.
I'm gonna state this here for users that might be oblivious to some details:
-DirectLink does not work with Reaper. In fact it seems to be a failed implementation, since M-Audio ships the Axiom Pro with Hypercontrol, which is quite possibly the DirectLink software built in the Axiom Pro hardware. Even then, you need some tweaking for it to work perfectly with Reaper or other DAWs with no native support.

The issues:
1) Mapping transport controls [solved]
2) Mapping Axiom faders to software faders [half-solved]
3) Mapping rotary encoders to software pan [half-solved]
4) Having an easy way to toggle which software tracks are controlled by the 9 Axiom faders and 8 rotary encoders (perhaps buttons that move to next/previous track groups of 8) [unsolved]
5) Having a way to toggle between mixer functions (volume and pan) and plugin parameters (so that when tweaking a plugin, you don't mess with the mix - similar to instrument mode in DirectLink) [unsolved]
6) When tweaking plugin parameters, you only alter the plugin that has it's window open, or change parameters in the Axiom to change which plugin you're affecting (like Banks?) [unsolved]

Here are the solutions:
(I henceforth assume you got your Reaper receiving notes and messages from Axiom, in MIDI devices)

1)
-Go to Actions> Show Action List (shortcut: ?);
-Type the function you wish to control in "Filter" (eg.: "play"), find the correct function and select it;
-In the box "shortcuts for selected action" click "add";
-Press the equivalent button in the transport section of Axiom (like "play button"). It should read something like "MIDI chan 16 CC 117", in the case of "play button";
-In the "MIDI CC" dropbox choose one of the "relative" options (1,2 or 3). The reason for this is that in absolute mode, Reaper will read "on" and "off" messages (0 and 127) as the same - this way you would be activating "play" both when pressing AND releasing the button. I don't think you'd want that;
-Do that for all trasnport buttons. (by the way, the "loop button" should activate Reaper's "Transport: Toggle Repeat" function).

2)
-Similar to the transport controls (check "1)"), except:
-The functions are called "Track: Set volume for track #x";
-you should use Absolute mode.

3)
-Similar to the faders (check "2)"), except:
-The functions are called "Track: Set pan for track #y";
-you should use Absolute mode.

4)
-???

5)
-???

6)
-???

I will update this when we find the answers.
Thanks forum.

Last edited by ashwalk; 10-25-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: new information on present problems/possible solution
ashwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Banned

Hi ashwalk, welcome on the forum!

Afaik, the only way to get all that stuff working correctly (including feedback to the device) is to use a supported control surface protocol, such as MCU or OSC. I don't know anything about DirectLink nor Hypercontrol, and I'm afraid REAPER doesn't either. (zOMG, yet *another* proprietary protocol...)

MCU may be your best bet, *if* the Axiom has some way to emulate it. A few developers have made REAPER extensions for this purpose that are very popular and work great for many users/devices.

Otherwise, OSC is your friend. You could convert the MIDI messages to/from the Axiom into OSC using some external tool that 'speaks' both MIDI and OSC. I am in a position that is bit similar to yours, I (mainly) use a Behringer BCR-2000 to control REAPER. I've been using Pure data (extended) with a custom patch, and I have pretty much everything on your wish list working. Although it's quite a bit of work to set up, and you'll have to dive into all the details yourself, it's working quite well, and imho the ability to completely customize the interaction between controller and REAPER is definitely worth it. Ymmv.)

(I didn't need your no. 5 myself, as I have plenty encoders, but it would be very easy to add; I do use similar things though, e.g. make the pan encoders affect the 2nd parameter in dual pan mode when a modifier button is held down).
Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
ashwalk

Default Will czeck that

when I get home. I never heard of OSC and MCU, sound promising.

Having to take time to set things up is not a problem, as long as its possible, and I can save the settings for future use, or on a portable version.

Thanks a lot, Banned!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
rich_h

Just butting in here to say that I am working on a DirectLink driver for Reaper's Control Surface. See my thread in General Discussion for more info.
rich_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
ashwalk

Thanks for letting us know of your amazing plugin, Rich!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
rich_h

Thanks for the feedback ashwalk

I have updated the version in the stash

https://stash.reaper.fm/14437/reaper_...directlink.zip

This now includes a program for editing the FX parameter to physical controller mapping.
rich_h is offline   Reply With Quote