Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
puddi
Human being with feelings

Default Can we replicate Ableton's Shift + Left click behavior?

In Ableton if you have one item selected and shift-click another item it extends the time selection and selects everything between them.

The Media item > Left click modifier "Add a range of items to selection and set time selection to selected items" in Reaper comes really close but the only problem is that it doesn't select everything within the two selected items as effortlessly as Ableton does (see example).

Ableton

Reaper

As you can see Reaper behaves slightly different and doesn't select everything within the time selection borders. I can't seem to figure this one out, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by puddi; 04-25-2019 at 10:19 AM.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
xpander

You are clicking on the bottom and top items within a horizontal area which only covers the short middle item. Think of those two clicks as of setting up the item selection start and end (area) and you'll see why the other items didn't get selected.

Area covered by the time selection is kinda misleading in this case. The first part of the action is adding a range of items to the selection, range being set by the 1st and 2nd click. Time selection is then set to the selected items and in this case they cover a longer area than the actual item selection range.

Last edited by xpander; 04-25-2019 at 12:48 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
hopi

custom actions can do so much

you can make one that sets the time selection from a selected item and then add to it the action Item: Select all items in current time selection

or Item: Select all items on selected tracks in current time selection
Old 04-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
You are clicking on the bottom and top items within a horizontal area which only covers the short middle item. Think of those two clicks as of setting up the item selection start and end (area) and you'll see why the other items didn't get selected.

Area covered by the time selection is kinda misleading in this case. The first part of the action is adding a range of items to the selection, range being set by the 1st and 2nd click. Time selection is then set to the selected items and in this case they cover a longer area than the actual item selection range.
I know that but I just wanted to show an example of why I don't like how it works in Reaper. I just prefer the Ableton way since I always want everything in between selected any way. It's not a huge deal but I just thought if anyone had an action for this it would have been nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
custom actions can do so much

you can make one that sets the time selection from a selected item and then add to it the action Item: Select all items in current time selection

or Item: Select all items on selected tracks in current time selection
Yeah, I figured there wasn't an easy solution to this. The "Item: Select item under mouse cursor (leaving other items selected)" action also doesn't seem to work so it's difficult getting a custom action going.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
I just prefer the Ableton way since I always want everything in between selected any way. It's not a huge deal but I just thought if anyone had an action for this it would have been nice.
Time selection: Set time selection to items
Item: Select all items in current time selection

Caveat with this one is that it doesn't select just every item between the two items you had already selected, but literally every item which happens to be inside the time selection. In the case shown in OP I would personally simply right drag marquee select items in one sweep and be done with it.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote