Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
ashasha
Human being with feelings

Default Mackie MCU suggestions, tips, etc?

I just graduated to a brand new to me Mackie MCU. I've been wanting one of these for years now.

Anyway it appears to be in very good shape and I just upgraded the firmware to 2.1.2 which appears to be the latest and greatest as of 2004. I did some initial testing with it using Klinke's fabulous code and it was not awesome. Seems that after the upgrade it started behaving and acting more like I would have imagined it.

So it got me thinking, are there any trade secrets to this thing? Like the touch sensitivity is a bit hit and miss at times and I need to fat finger it to get it to register on some. Are they electrostatic and if so would popping the knobs off and cleaning the metal help with this?

Are the faders cleaned and lubricated in some manner? I've got one that is a little noisy although it's not real bad.

Is there a test/diagnostic/demo mode to have it go through and make sure that all the buttons and stuff work properly?

Thanks.
ashasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Coachz

the clacky noise is normal, be aware that the motorized faders are cheap ass plastic and very fragile, don't push them hard. I bought mine and the master fader was broken. It's not hard to disassemble if you take off the bottom.

I dont think lube is your problem unless they are sticking. Just be aware they are very fragile. If you open up a fader you'll see. I epoxied the broken piece in the fader and got it working perfectly again.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
ashasha

Thanks for the info.

The previous owner said that this had seen very little use and I think that was part of the issue. I just gave it a good wipe down even though it was already clean and started going through Klinke's manual for his MCU plugin and after about 2 hours of that it appears that not only is everything in tip top shape, but its smoothed out nicely. Probably just been sitting too long.

Coolest toy I've bought in a long time. My biggest problem now is that its just so big. I need to reconfigure my desk layout and there's probably going to be some cutting going on.
ashasha is offline   Reply With Quote