Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Europanaut
Human being with feelings

Default Does anyone else not use the mixer?

Hi all,

I've been watching the development of the magnificent new themes with much interest, but will probably not be able to utilize them due to my particular workflow.

I'm not sure whether this is common, but I never use the mixer. Everything that I do is in the TCP. I've actually walter'd out all the mixer faders, buttons, etc, except the insert and send slots, which I still use for copying and moving fx from track to track.

Here's a screenshot of my modifications to White Tie's Bubinga theme.

http://www.circleofwingsband.com/pics/test3.jpg

The "mixer" area can be minimized down to six slots, and normally I simply ctrl D it's visibility when needed.

I've been working "mixer-less" for years, and am wondering if this is a unique approach?

Thanks,

Euro
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
dea-man

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europanaut View Post
Hi all,

I've been watching the development of the magnificent new themes with much interest, but will probably not be able to utilize them due to my particular workflow.

I'm not sure whether this is common, but I never use the mixer. Everything that I do is in the TCP. I've actually walter'd out all the mixer faders, buttons, etc, except the insert and send slots, which I still use for copying and moving fx from track to track.

Here's a screenshot of my modifications to White Tie's Bubinga theme.

http://www.circleofwingsband.com/pics/test3.jpg

The "mixer" area can be minimized down to six slots, and normally I simply ctrl D it's visibility when needed.

I've been working "mixer-less" for years, and am wondering if this is a unique approach?

Thanks,

Euro
I also seem to be able to get everything done from the TCP and rarely engage the mixer. I like having the extra track real estate.

Can't help but wonder if I am missing out on something, by not using the mixer.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
bigwoody

Interesting, I basically do the opposite because I want as much room for the wave forms as possible (and I have 2 monitors). I make the TCP as simple as I can with Track name, arm, solo, mute and FX. I do most everything in the mixer.

Different strokes I suppose.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
dea-man

Default What is the main difference.....

aside from being in different locations on the screen, what is the functionary difference between the two?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
bigwoody

Not much really, it is a layout thing. I guess I am used to an analog mixer so that is the way I relate to faders, meters and stuff. Plus, like I said, I like to have as much room possible on my track monitor to see and edit the wave graphics.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Lestat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody View Post
Interesting, I basically do the opposite because I want as much room for the wave forms as possible (and I have 2 monitors). I make the TCP as simple as I can with Track name, arm, solo, mute and FX. I do most everything in the mixer.

Different strokes I suppose.
Me too, need that mixer. I tried using only tcp in the past, feel somewhat restricted for my style, but seems it works great for others.
Lestat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
tls11823

I use a 17" laptop with an external monitor. I put the TCP on the big screen and have the mixer living on the laptop. I find I rarely go for the mixer because I can do anything I want on the TCP, especially when using the Apollo theme, which makes the important stuff available on the TCP, even with a small track height.

When I had a single screen, I did the same as Europanaut and closed the mixer unless I really needed it - I still do now if I'm working remotely with just the laptop screen. I really don't find myself wanting to go for the mixer very often.

Then again, I didn't grow up using consoles. Maybe that's a factor in making the choice. Like others, I've wondered if I'm missing something, and have tried to use the mixer more just to see, but it doesn't improve my productivity and I'd rather have the space available for more tracks and/or floating windows, so I'm happy to stick with what's been working for me. I'm glad we have to flexibility to use whatever works best for us as individuals.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
aside from being in different locations on the screen, what is the functionary difference between the two?
You don't get insert and send slots displayed on the TCP.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
XITE-1/4LIVE

I don't need the mixer either. Just the I/Os of the TCP which are sent to a DSP mixer and FX, where hardware and software all join in a project window.
In this way I can slide the arrange view over the TCP and have extra real estate which I wish we could do in the MIDI Editor, mostly as I see no need to know what notes I am playing, so getting rid of that space stealing unused item would be nice too.
Love to have a large screen area for MIDI w/o these obstacles.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Reno.thestraws

Just my 2 cents

1) remove master from MCP

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/1-%...from%20MCP.gif

2) Drag your mixer to the left docker

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/2-d...t%20docker.gif

3) in the mouse modifiers TCp context, set the defaul double click to action : SWS: show selected track in MCP, hide others

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/3-m...%20context.gif

a lot more ergonomic in my opinion...

AND you can still waltered you mixer track panel to your taste (only send and insert for example)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Tomm

I almost never use the mixer, but I'm trying to get into the habit of using screen sets and I may use them more in that case. Ultimately I'm trying to get into using external controller like behringer bcr2000 for volume/pan/eq/comp...
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Coachz

i never use it and since getting my TCP to have these meters I'm in heaven.

https://i.imgur.com/nNU3C.jpg

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
ivansc

Since I mix on a pair of Nanokontrols, it would be really counter intuitive for me to push a fader up and down and watch it move side to side....

And of course panning, etc., would depend entirely on the particular theme you used, I suppose.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
rothchild

I don't use the mixer. I have a screen set that's like reno's (with select by track), but with the fader and other gubbins taken off it (as per Euro's layout).

I'd love to see more WALTERable elements for the TCP, especially for sends and routing.

Child
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
thequietroom

I don't use the mixer that much either.. I pretty much level the items for levels and just use the TCP for mixing folder groups. I leve the mixer up though 'cause it makes me feel good to see all the meters bouncing around.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
I leve the mixer up though 'cause it makes me feel good to see all the meters bouncing around.
OK, I'll admit that sometimes I like to turn off the lights and watch the mixer light-show as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
jedstar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Just my 2 cents

1) remove master from MCP

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/1-%...from%20MCP.gif

2) Drag your mixer to the left docker

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/2-d...t%20docker.gif

3) in the mouse modifiers TCp context, set the defaul double click to action : SWS: show selected track in MCP, hide others

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30049114/3-m...%20context.gif

a lot more ergonomic in my opinion...

AND you can still waltered you mixer track panel to your taste (only send and insert for example)
I just dock the mixer to the right and reduce the size to fit one channel only.
You can assign a toolbar button to "mixer show hide master" to instantly see the master , very useful.
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Mod Bod

I think that I tend to use my ears and not fret over audio transients that don't exactly line up when I use the mixer view more.

Me, I tend to view one horizontal track (at the top) and use the mixer in the rest of the screen (at the bottom.)

http://www.gatortraks.com
Mod Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
bennisixx

no mixer here, just as inspector.....***fx bin, cough,cough,****
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
filter303

I personally don't use TCP for anything else than viewing track names and numbers. I would be more than happy if there was an option to disable TCP and still show track name and #.
I usually like to keep the mixer at the bottom of the screen, and it's visible at all times.

I really wish there were more themes that had mixer layouts which would use much less space vertically. This way the user could see more of the arrangement area while still keeping the mixer visible.

IMO many themes have reserved too much space for the volume sliders.
I guess I have to start learning how to mod these themes to make them fit my needs better.
filter303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You don't get insert and send slots displayed on the TCP.
we really do need this. I rarely use the mixer.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
Andy Hamm

The mixer is the only thing I do use, I never even look at the track view.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
karbomusic

Me likes MCP, me likes TCP. Me track/edit in TCP and mix in MCP. If anything I prefer some "away time" from media items and waveforms. I need some mixer time to remind me to use only my ears.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
bogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Me likes MCP, me likes TCP. Me track/edit in TCP and mix in MCP. If anything I prefer some "away time" from media items and waveforms. I need some mixer time to remind me to use only my ears.
Yeah I should try that. I only work with the TCP here too.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
bogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
i never use it and since getting my TCP to have these meters I'm in heaven.

https://i.imgur.com/nNU3C.jpg
I don't get it. You loose all the controls with those meters. Can you toggle with an key/action to get the controls back?

Edit: Oh I see, you meant the one on track one in your image. Yeah it's better but I still find the digit too small.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
Lawrence

Not Reaper specific, but if I'm writing automtation with a mouse on a fader, horizontal just doesn't work nearly as well as vertical, for me.

That goes for all of them really. Sliding a mouse left/right is (imo) is a bit less precise than up down. So in that regard I'll always end up in the mixer, or the inspector if it has a vertical fader.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Pixelshock

I never really thought about it, but yeah.... I use them both a ton. I do all my volume adjusting using the mixer and constantly use it to setup sends (and access plugs once setup). I'm constantly hitting Ctlr+M to go full screen and back. I leave them both up quite a bit though. I'm running in 1920x1200 and that usually gives me room to work. The weird thing about my workflow....I have duel screens, but ONLY use the 2nd display for plugin interfaces and midi editor. Which is kinda crazy now that I think about it.

And yeah, I totally love watching the meters bounce in the dark. Who doesn't?!
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Not Reaper specific, but if I'm writing automtation with a mouse on a fader, horizontal just doesn't work nearly as well as vertical, for me.
For the sliders and most other controls, I prefer to use the mouse wheel. Works fine whether working with a vertical slider, a horizontal slider, or a rotating knob. Plus I just like the "feel" of it. For fine adjustments, of course, you can hold down the ctrl key while spinning the wheel.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
Jedi

I have two big monitors but seldom actually USE the mixer.
It lives on the left monitor (master fader on the right) mostly
"to look cool" - I actually do all my mixing on a Mackie
MCU and extender, as I'm an "old school" guy who likes real faders.

Jedi
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
Sanskrit

I use the TCP almost exclusively. Looking at the new API theme, and at Imperial, I'm thinking about trying to force myself to use the MCP more, but it would really be a switch for me. Just a note: as I use the TCP so much I really prefere to work with both a horizontal fader and horizontal meter.
Sanskrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #31
Doughboy

I use the mixer, but I wish I could make it a lot smaller.
Doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #32
semiquaver

I don't use the mixer

And I find it really frustrating that we cant see the inserts and sends on the TCP!

its crazy to have to choose to see EITHER sends and inserts OR items and envelopes.

What we *need* is a design that lets us see everything in one single orientation!
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
dea-man

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
I don't use the mixer

And I find it really frustrating that we cant see the inserts and sends on the TCP!

its crazy to have to choose to see EITHER sends and inserts OR items and envelopes.

What we *need* is a design that lets us see everything in one single orientation!
This is kind of a cool idea!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #34
Kainer

FX and Send slots like in Pro Tools (incl. optional visibility) would be nice to have.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1.gif (50.7 KB, 308 views)
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-29 um 23.37.08.png (44.0 KB, 296 views)

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
rothchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
I don't use the mixer

I'm in total agreement with you on this. More features for TCP only users would be great.

Child
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
Europanaut

If the tcp had fx slots that behaved like they do in the mixer, I'd never open the mixer panel. Ever. My entire workflow could be centered around the tcp. I gotta say, that would be pretty cool.

Euro
Europanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #37
The Spark

I only mix horizontally when i use my console. In the box I prefer never to open the mixer window. It just seems kinda redundant to me. YMMV of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
FX and Send slots like in Pro Tools (incl. optional visibility) would be nice to have.
+1
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
pixeltarian

I don't really use the mixer. I recognize tracks by looking at the waveforms more than labels/track numbers. being able to see send/receive data and plugins is pretty cool, but I don't really feel hampered not working that way.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
d. gauss

all mixer all the time.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #40
Andy Hamm

I usually have at least 24 tracks, so I can't figure how arranging things vertically on a monitor that is wide horizontally would ever work for me. I want to be able to see as much of the mix as I can at a time, and the mixer is where that happens for me.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote