Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
tdbronco715
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO4ALL Question

Hello, I have a Windows 10 OS and am having issues hearing sound. I do not have a separate volume for my headset. I can barely hear what I am recording, sounds like I am in another room. Does anyone have the correct settings/setup for ASIO4ALL? I am struggling. Any help or suggestions would be terrific. Thank you.
tdbronco715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
solger

What headset (product name) are you using in this case?
And is using the headset working in other Windows applications?

General hints about troubleshooting ASIO4ALL can be found here: https://www.image-line.com/support/f...s_asio4all.htm

If you haven't already, also try to select WASAPI (instead of ASIO4ALL) as Audio System in Reaper's Audio Preferences to check if this makes any difference.

Otherwise have you already checked the following things in the Windows Sound Settings (https://www.maketecheasier.com/manag...ound-settings/)?
  • Are the mixer levels turned up?
  • And are all Enhancements disabled?

Last edited by solger; 11-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
foxAsteria

First off, could you tell me why you're using ASIO4All? At least a few times a week now, newbies are wondering why it's not working for them. Although, it's a great free tool that can work in a pinch, it's not at all recommended to use 3rd party hacks in place of a manufacturers audio driver. I'd really like to know from where this widespread, bad advice is coming from.

What is your audio device? What are you using to record with? Driver settings btw don't affect audio quality in any immediately appreciable way. If the sound quality is bad, it's to do with the recording gear/technique. If a recording sounds like it's far away, that's probably because it is. Just move the mic closer to the source. If that's not the case, you could have some problems with your connections or gear and you can find out which by process of elimination.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
tdbronco715

Default Solutions Found

First - foxAsteria, I appreciate your help and reply. I uninstalled ASIO4ALL and went to using default settings and it works much better. Drivers are good and the sound is better. I am able to record and hear tracks now. Thank you. ASIO4ALL bad advice is in the Reaper start up manual to get set up. That is on thing that was giving me problems.

Second - solger, I uninstalled ASIO4ALL and am using WASAPI now. I also checked all of my settings and found enhancements were not disabled. Thank you, hopefully now I can record and play and most of all....Hear.
tdbronco715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbronco715 View Post
ASIO4ALL bad advice is in the Reaper start up manual to get set up. That is on thing that was giving me problems.
What version of the user guide? That info should be removed. (I'd asked the author to remove it about a year ago if I recall correctly, due to the problems it was causing some people such as yourself.) I can't find any mention of it in the current user guide.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbronco715 View Post
I uninstalled ASIO4ALL and am using WASAPI now.
WASAPI is probably a better option than ASIO4All, but it is still not specific to any device. What Audio Device/Interface are you using? The manufacturer should provide an ASIO driver and you should be using that. If you don't actually any external audio device and just use your computer's built-in sound, then yea, keep it like it is.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Steviebone

I, too, am amazed at how many posts there are about ASIO4ALL. My own experience has been that this generic driver shouldn't be used, EVER, unless there is no other option. Even when it works, latency is usually an issue and rarely if ever is it as efficient (let alone more efficient) than the manufacturer's driver.

As for WASAPI, same thing applies IMO (others will differ here). It can work but is generally generic and not a replacement for a proper device specific driver.

If your hardware doesn't have a 64 bit ASIO driver for it I would suggest you consider different hardware that does. Just my .02.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:46 AM   #8
ivansc

Biggest problem with recommending "drivers written for your audio/MIDI device" is that most newbies are trying to use the sound system built into their laptops & then wondering why it doesnt work (or blaming reaper!)... *sigh*

Maybe we should add a sticky to warn people of the down side to NOT buying some sort of proper interface?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Maybe we should add a sticky to warn people of the down side to NOT buying some sort of proper interface?
Probably a good idea. But first we'd have to warn them of the down side to not reading stickies...
Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #10
ivansc

So true...
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Probably a good idea. But first we'd have to warn them of the down side to not reading stickies...
Yeah, I needed a good laugh today
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote