Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
Wizz
Human being with feelings

Default Do I really need to create a separate track in order to send MIDI controlls to a VST?

Hi

I've spend many hours trying to figure out how to control a guitar effects plugin with my MIDI controller. If I run the guitar pedal plugin as a stand-alone I can use its learn function to assign MIDI controls to certain pedals in the plugin.

But if I run it in Reaper it no longer seems to register any MIDI coming in.
I can use the Reaper Learn function that is present in every VST instance, but not the one from the plugin itself.

So after some searching I found this video where Kenny is setting up MIDI controls for the Super8 plugin. He creates a separate track that only records MIDI and sends it to his Super8 track. So I did the same. And it also didn't work, until I turned on monitoring on the MIDI track.

Why do I need a separate track for this? And why doesn't it work without monitoring enabled?
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Is it AmpliTube? Yea we don't have simultaneous audio and MIDI input on the same track unless it's receiving one of those from another track. But I also think AT's MIDI implementation sucks.

If it is AmpliTube, you can right click the control, set it to automation instead (max of 16 at a time, but it's enough for me). Then you don't need the extra track. Now when you move the control again, Reaper sees it as a learnable parameter.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Wizz

It's TH3
Old 10-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #4
Wizz

So I've been thinking about this more. And I realised why it actually makes sense to have a separate track for midi controls.

It's because if I want to record, I have the audio recording to the TH3 track, but I also want the midi changes to be remembered (for example if I'm controlling the wah pedal). SO the MIDI changes get recorded on the MIDI track. Perfect.

Still don't get why I need to have monitoring enabled, but whatever.